VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Going Out to a Restaurant for Breakfast - Vegan Options?

58K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  Mr. H. 
#1 ·
A couple times lately I've been invited out to breakfast, or wanted to take my kids, or my sweetie, out for breakfast...

What sorts of options have people found for breakfast, in restaurants, as a vegan?

What do you order - what restaurants - or TYPES of restaurants - do you choose?

Since there's next to NO choices around here, I usually opt for oatmeal - maybe they have soymilk, and fruit... but thats about it...

I'd be interested in other people's experiences...

#27 ·
I never eat out for breakfast, it's way too difficult. I can never have toast or bagels because they either never know the ingredients or they have egg or dairy products in them. The couple of bagel places around here that do have vegan bagels, nobody ever wants to go to and they don't have hummus.

#28 ·
We rarely eat out for breakfast, it's usually dinner. However, the last time we did, we went to a place that offered a "Texas skillet" that was basically hash browns, green & red peppers, vidalia onion, scallion, tomatoes, black beans, and corn. It was served with chunky salsa on top and a side of toast and fruit.

#31 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Yuck. That sounds awful to me. And not at all like breakfast. Or an omelet, for that matter? Can't we just call it what it is? Cooked vegetables?
You've never had sauteed mushrooms, onions and red peppers with your hashbrowns for breakfast? That's some VERY YUMMY vegetables there!!

Maybe not "exactly" an omelet in the conventional sense, but doesn't calling it plain, ol' "cooked vegetables" just help perpetuate the myth that all vegetarians eat is "boring" food?

#33 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

You've never had sauteed mushrooms, onions and red peppers with your hashbrowns for breakfast? That's some VERY YUMMY vegetables there!!

Maybe not "exactly" an omelet in the conventional sense, but doesn't calling it plain, ol' "cooked vegetables" just help perpetuate the myth that all vegetarians eat is "boring" food?
OK, think up another fancy name for it, then. It's not an omelet.

And to me, that IS "boring vegetarian food." That would be an unsatisfying breakfast to me, and I think most people (a good side dish, sure.). As veg*ns, we can do WAY better.

#34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

Yea, Denny's. I mean, duh, don't order bacon... but... I remember being able to get oatmeal, english muffins, hash browns or skillet potatoes, apple pie... enough food to be satisfied. Maybe it's not the best, but it's something.
Really? Their apple pie is Vegan? I just kind of write it off at restaurants thinking that it won't be.

#37 ·
pfft@breakfast. My boss took me to a breakfast wafflehouse/ihop clone for a late night breakfast last week. While he had a filling, yet cruel breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, pancakes and coffee, I had a breakfast of a few leaves of iceberg lettuce, a slice of tomato and salt n pepper with a glass of water. Seems even the hashbrowns were cooked with lard, and when i said fruit, they looked at me like i was from outter space. Ah well. Mmmm boy - lettuce for breakfast.

#40 ·
I used to love breakfast out but can't stand eggs anymore and now find it difficult to go out. I usually exert peer pressure and strive for a "brunch" out so that I have a chance of getting a salad or sandwich. When I lived in Maine, the vegan restaurant (Little Lad's) in town had a fantastic brunch: the special I always got was this monster waffle slathered in almond butter, topped with fruit compote and then generously heaped with vegan whipped cream. Oh, my God, I miss it so!

#43 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post

We rarely eat out for breakfast, it's usually dinner. However, the last time we did, we went to a place that offered a "Texas skillet" that was basically hash browns, green & red peppers, vidalia onion, scallion, tomatoes, black beans, and corn. It was served with chunky salsa on top and a side of toast and fruit.
that sounds really good right about now.

#44 ·
I just went to a place that had breakfast tacos. I asked for one without scrambled eggs with just veg refried beans, spinach, onions and mushrooms and it was out of this world. I felt a little strange asking for no eggs (since they all came with eggs and you could add your extras) but the girl taking the order didn't seem to think it was weird at all.

#45 ·
Tofu Scramble

At home, I make a veggie scramble with tofu, veggies, balsamic vinegar, and nooch. I can make the tofu with the balsamic vinegar, spices, and nooch. I can then take the tofu with me in a container and ask for grilled veggies, and add my tofu. Hashbrowns, fresh fruit, and multi grain toast are good.

Many times I get oatmeal, fresh fruit, hashbrowns, and a multigrain toast. An avocado if they have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.