soap, shampoo, cleaning products etc - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-25-2005, 05:28 AM
Beginner

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me? I am a very new veggie and I am concerned that the soap and cleaning products that I am using may not be suitable for veggies. What ingedients do I need to avoid in such products? Any help gratefully received!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2005, 05:32 AM
Beginner

Wellll there are a lot of animal-derived products with mystery names, so your best bet is to look for products that say "not tested on animals" and "contains no animal ingredients" on the back.

Nature's Gate tends to be a good & popular brand, as is Alba and Tom's of Maine.
#3 Old 05-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I don't even know what, if any, animal ingredients would be in cleaning products. Never really heard anyone express concern over it. You should probably focus on which companies test on animals and try to avoid those. Also find out which products are particularly harmful to the environment.

When it comes to testing Proctor & Gamble is the biggest and you'd probably want to avoid them - many activists boycott P&G. As for environmental impact, I don't really know enough to say.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#4 Old 05-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Beginner

Well, there are ingredients to be found in cleaning products (tallow/animal fat for example), but I think the larger issue is with animal testing.

If you do a hunt on VB or Google, you can find some list of animal ingredients, but I think it's easier, as Amy mentioned to just find a good company. Seventh Generation and Earth Friendly Products both make a wide line of vegan cleaning products.

However, you can also get a lot done with ingredients/mixtures you make yourself. Things like vinegar and baking soda. Do you have a certain type of product you're looking to replace?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 05-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Nature's Gate tends to be a good & popular brand, as is Alba and Tom's of Maine.

I'm a bit down on Tom's right now because of their weaseling in not counting propolis as an animal product.
#6 Old 05-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkiemoo View Post

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me? I am a very new veggie and I am concerned that the soap and cleaning products that I am using may not be suitable for veggies. What ingedients do I need to avoid in such products? Any help gratefully received!!

I agree with everyone else in that you'll probably have better luck looking for products that aren't tested on animals. Here's a list of companies that do/do not test:

http://www.caringconsumer.com/searchcompany.asp
#7 Old 05-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Beginner

In terms of cleaning products, the ones that say "contains no animal products" can be quite expensive. I generally clean with vinegar (windows, counters, tables, and toilet surfaces), bleach (toilet bowl) and baking soda (shower), all of which I believe are vegan.
#8 Old 05-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Beginner

I like 7th generation for cleaning products, they generally work the best of the vegan stuff I have access to.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page