VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't know how to become a Vegetarian.

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  shellie 
#1 ·
I always dreamed to become a Vegetarian. But I don't know how to do it. My parents eat meat every day, I can't refuse. The worst is that I don't know what to eat? Now I eat cucumbers\tomatoes salads. And when winter comes, there will be no cucumbers and tomatoes. What should I eat in winter? Cabbage? I can't eat cabbage every day, I have an ill stomach and bowel diseases. I must be on diet, not to eat spicy food. Please teach me what to eat to become a Vegetarian?

#3 ·
Hi Anna,

It's great to hear that you are interested in vegetarian eating, though it can be difficult to convince's one's parents that a vegetarian diet is healthy.

Salad and tomatoes are not a complete diet. A health vegetarian diet should include a variety of food. Many of us here eat a vegetarian diet consisting of cooked beans, cooked whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts/seeds. Others of us include eggs and/or milk foods.

This website does a nice job of introducing health vegetarian eating and living: http://www.chooseveg.com/buildameal

This website is good, as well: https://www.vegsoc.org/eatwellplate

Can you tell us more about your stomach/digestive issues?

#4 ·
You can go by the old standard food groups but substitute veggie options in the meat group.

1. Beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, soy products
2. Fruits and veggies (raw and cooked)
3. Grains (eat whole grains every day for more nutrition)
4. Dairy (can omit if want to be vegan)

Have portions from each group at each meal. Eat a lot!

#5 ·
Maybe you could also ask your parents to make more food with side dishes and meat, so you could eat the side dish. Also in the supermarkets you can find several products that are meat substitutes. I guess if you explain your parents that you would like to eat this way, they will buy it for you

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
You eat natto? Were you raised in it, or did you try it later in life? How do you eat it?
I tried and found it completely intolerable, but it really is amazingly full of so many nutrients not found in other foods

#9 ·
You might want to sit down with your parents and explain to them why you want to be a vegetarian. A previous poster linked to some websites describing healthy vegetarian diets, read through those so you'll have answers to your parents questions about your health. Offer to help with the cooking and the grocery shopping so your choices aren't putting an extra burden on your parents. You might ask them to do some simple things like making spaghetti sauce without ground beef (it's easy to cook the meat on the side, then they could add it to their own portions and you could choose not to add it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.