• 1 Post By ZonerGirl
  • 1 Post By oldmanveggie
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile

#1 Old 10-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

McVegan Burger Debuts at McDonald's

Quote:
International fast-food giant McDonald’s introduced the McVegan burger to the menu this week at its Tampere, Finland location. The vegan as-is burger is made with a soy patty and is served with an eggless “McFeast” sauce, while vegan French fries—baked in vegetable oil in a separate cooking pot—are available as a side. Christoffer Rönnblad, marking director of McDonald’s in Finland, told Finnish media outlet MTV that the burger is part of a trial to test for customer demand, and its success will determine whether McDonald’s introduces the plant-based option worldwide. “At least the feedback that we have quickly received, and what reception has been online yesterday and already the other day,” Rönnblad said, “it has been quite positive. We are going to be positive in this test.” In May, McDonald’s added the vegan-friendly “McVeggie”—made vegan by removing cheese—to its menus in locations across Norway.
Read the rest here: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?...=10185&catId=1

This is amazing news! I love the name.
silva, David3 and Mr. H. like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-08-2017, 05:45 PM

I wonder if there is any chance that it is not fried on the same grill as the meat.
#3 Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Wow. I am sure it is filled with processed soy and oil and likely as fattening as a beef burger BUT I am glad to see the option I guess. I still think supporting fast food establishments is not a great idea but that is just me.
David3 and Mr. H. like this.

-Anita J.
Juice Bar Owner
Plant Pure Affiliate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 10-08-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Joyce View Post
Wow. I am sure it is filled with processed soy and oil and likely as fattening as a beef burger BUT I am glad to see the option I guess. I still think supporting fast food establishments is not a great idea but that is just me.
I don't think it could be as un-healthy as a beef burger.
but why Finland. Are there a lot of vegans in Finland? I think if they wanted it to succeed they would put it in San Francisco.
chickpeayogi and David3 like this.
#5 Old 10-09-2017, 04:17 AM

Sounds interesting. Wish they'd make their normal fries vegan... but then I'm probably healthier consuming less fried potato products:P
Tom likes this.
#6 Old 10-09-2017, 05:37 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

They could veganize the whole menu and I'd likely still steer clear...of all fast food joints. I can't get the all too vivid memories of the stomach turning smells and the multiple events of me almost falling on their floors a few times from the slick greasy film that seems to remain, while also imagining the residue it left behind in my guts. In a pinch, with absolutely no other options, perhaps, but I think I'd rather fall back on my newfound abilities to fast before I'd choose to give them my money.
blue_green_gold likes this.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#7 Old 10-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

I get that all health concious folks aren't going to McDonalds, either omni or veg, but we need to look at the introduction of a vegan more as an addition to their menu. It doesn't need to be marketed exclusively towards vegans, but to include them as well as give meateaters another choice. For omnis it would be a healthier choice. For veg'ns it would an option

If you don't like it don't go, your input isn't needed

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhilosophicalGent View Post
Sounds interesting. Wish they'd make their normal fries vegan... but then I'm probably healthier consuming less fried potato products:P
Yep! At this point, potato fries (and potato chips- I guess they call those "crisps" in the UK) are about the only vegan junk food available to me these days which I would enjoy.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 10-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I get that all health concious folks aren't going to McDonalds, either omni or veg, but we need to look at the introduction of a vegan more as an addition to their menu. It doesn't need to be marketed exclusively towards vegans, but to include them as well as give meateaters another choice. For omnis it would be a healthier choice. For veg'ns it would an option

If you don't like it don't go, your input isn't needed
It's a public forum and unless it's specifically stated by the OP to only comment if you fully support and plan to partake in something, all opinions/input are welcomed, as far as I understand things, obviously as long as they aren't breaking the rules or spamming.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#10 Old 10-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion View Post
It's a public forum and unless it's specifically stated by the OP to only comment if you fully support and plan to partake in something, all opinions/input are welcomed, as far as I understand things, obviously as long as they aren't breaking the rules or spamming.
I understood silva, when saying "your input isn't needed", was referring to going to McDonalds as an unhappy vegan customer, rather than adding a negative post to the thread. "Discouraging other members from posting" is against VB rules, not the kind of thing that an esteemed moderator like silva would get involved in.

Lv
#11 Old 10-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion View Post
There is nothing preventing you from making disparaging comments on the OPs encouraging news of more mainstreamed vegan offering.
I could as well tell you how awful your food choices sound, that I would have never become vegan if those were my only offerings, but I don't, not because it's prohibited, but it's not my place to be critical of your choices.
It seemed obvious to me that this wasn't a thread to voice opinions of personal criticisms of McDonalds, but rather the news that one of the largest fast food venues is considering vegans in their offerings.
I don't like McDonalds, but you can bet I'm thrilled! Why so many whole health plant based eaters feel such a need to disparage vegans gains is simply beyond me.

#12 Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
I understood silva, when saying "your input isn't needed", was referring to going to McDonalds as an unhappy vegan customer, rather than adding a negative post to the thread. "Discouraging other members from posting" is against VB rules, not the kind of thing that an esteemed moderator like silva would get involved in.

Lv
I seriously don't feel I was discouraging anyone from posting, but I was suggesting that they didn't need to be critical on a obviously positive news story for vegans.

#13 Old 10-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Impeach the psychopath

It's a step in the right direction.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#14 Old 10-15-2017, 12:22 PM

I think most countries beat the US in the area of healthy options (save for maybe California), many European countries have definitely been more health conscious than the US for a long time. We are just catching up.

-Anita J.
Juice Bar Owner
Plant Pure Affiliate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 10-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
I don't think it could be as un-healthy as a beef burger.
but why Finland. Are there a lot of vegans in Finland? I think if they wanted it to succeed they would put it in San Francisco.
It is rather strange.

I might have read somewhere that that particular part of Finland has a vegan community with established vegan venues.

But then again there are other countries around the world with greater numbers of vegans so why could they not have tested them there?

Doesn't McDonald's have different menus based on region of the country in America? I don't see why they couldn't have tried it out in San Diego or L.A., I guarantee it would have been a hit since a lot of people like McDonald's fries and those are vegan.

It probably won't come to the U.S. but I applaud their effort.
#16 Old 10-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanveggie View Post
Doesn't McDonald's have different menus based on region of the country in America? I don't see why they couldn't have tried it out in San Diego or L.A., I guarantee it would have been a hit since a lot of people like McDonald's fries and those are vegan.
According to the interweb, McDonald's fries in the US currently have milk hidden in the ingredients so not vegan.

lv
#17 Old 10-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
According to the interweb, McDonald's fries in the US currently have milk hidden in the ingredients so not vegan.

lv
I didn't know about dairy, but McDonalds fries still have beef as flavoring!
I've always thought they tasted like crap when I was omni

#18 Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
I didn't know about dairy, but McDonalds fries still have beef as flavoring!
I've always thought they tasted like crap when I was omni

It's pretty funny/interesting. McDonalds fries (chips) have different recipes in different countries. In the UK, McDonalds fries are officially approved by the Vegetarian Society! https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/p...es-medium.html

McDonalds India has a "McAloo" burger (patty made from potatoes and peas), as well as a "Maharaja Mac" veggie burger:

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 10-15-2017 at 08:13 PM.
#19 Old 10-15-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:

lv
Hmm, did not know that!

Oh well, haven't eaten McD fries in a long time anyways.

But the McDonald's Canada site mentions that their fries are vegan. So it must vary depending on country/region as mentioned above.
#20 Old 10-17-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:

lv
McDonald's website says that their fries are not vegetarian or vegan.
They used to use beef lard in their french fry oil. but I think they stopped but not use some beef flavoring in their seasoning.
#21 Old 10-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
They used to use beef lard in their french fry oil. but I think they stopped but not use some beef flavoring in their seasoning.
They're different in different countries. In US they do use beef flavoring-real beef

#22 Old 10-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
They're different in different countries. In US they do use beef flavoring-real beef
Ugh, thanks for the heads up.

So far off the top of my head I know Del Taco (a west coast chain) has vegan crinkle style fries.

Now going to search online for more vegan friendly fries options.
Mr. H. likes this.
#23 Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 PM
GuessWhatChiknButt

I think if everyone boycotted fast food as an industry, factory farming would cave in on itself.

That being said, this is kind of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” of food..? Not the greatest idea, but a big step in the right direction. Anytime veganism is mainstreamed in any way at all makes us appear more normal, therefore more acceptable, more approachable, more likely to be able to persuade people to take a look into veganism.
Mr. H. likes this.

Ignorance = not knowing
Stupidity = refusing to know
Intelligence = learning, applying knowledge, and knowing when to ask someone who knows more than you

2 outta 3 ain’t bad. 1 outta 3 is 2/3 of the US.
#24 Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 PM

Burger King and Chick Fil A have vegan fries

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...t-food-chains/
Mr. H. likes this.
#25 Old 10-18-2017, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Five Guys has my favorite fried in peanut oil! They also have malt vinegar!
Mr. H. likes this.

#26 Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to see someone make a vegan big mac that tastes and looks virtually identical to an actual big mac and then sell it outside a Mcdonalds for the same price and then interview people there and film this and put it online. Although I also would not be surprised if someone has already done this.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Last edited by Jamie in Chile; 10-18-2017 at 09:49 AM.
#27 Old 10-18-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
I'd like to see someone make a vegan big mac that tastes and looks virtually identical to an actual big mac and then sell it outside a Mcdonalds for the same price and then interview people there and film this and put it online. Although I also would not be surprised if someone has already done this.
I love that idea!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page