Fasting - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By nitratedtofu
  • 1 Post By ChiaVegg
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 10-02-2017, 06:38 AM

Fasting

Is anyone fasting as part of their vegan lifestyles? How?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Water Fasting
#3 Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

I kicked off my vegan transition a little over 2.5 years ago with juice fasting (feasting) and continue to practice intermittent fasting daily, where I stop eating no later than 8:00 p.m. and don't eat solid food again until around 11:00ish the next morning, giving my digestive system a rest, too.

Instead of eating substantial solid food break-fasts like I used to do, I choose to, instead, hydrate via lemon water, warm herbal infusions that include herbs like burdock root, yellow dock, stinging nettle, red clover, dandelion root, etc., and my choice of fruit juice or fruit/green juice of the day.

It was quite a difficult adjustment, especially coming from a very heavy Standard American Diet lifestyle weighing in at over 300 lbs., but I'm thrilled I pushed forward in my attempts to learn and try more. It may sound strange to some, but I was recently thinking with all the "natural" disasters taking place, being able to comfortably fast may very well come in handy in ways we may have never imagined.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato

#4 Old 10-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I only did a water fast for one day back in the 1970s, as part of a publicity/awareness campaign about famine in other countries. It wasn't particularly difficult, as I recall. I don't remember ever deliberately fasting since then, although occasionally I'll have to skip a meal for some reason.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5 Old 10-04-2017, 05:27 PM

IF

I do IF (Intermittent Fasting) ranging from 14:10-18:6 (fasting 14-18 hours and eating in a 10-6 hour window) and I've been doing that off and on for several years now. I enjoy it but you do have to be cognizant to get all your nutrients in your eating window so I'm trying to do more of a 15:9 so I have more time to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkcc14 View Post
Is anyone fasting as part of their vegan lifestyles? How?
#6 Old 10-06-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegASLan View Post
I do IF (Intermittent Fasting) ranging from 14:10-18:6 (fasting 14-18 hours and eating in a 10-6 hour window) and I've been doing that off and on for several years now. I enjoy it but you do have to be cognizant to get all your nutrients in your eating window so I'm trying to do more of a 15:9 so I have more time to eat.
I usually do IF but recently went to a course where we work out early in the morning so I eat right after that. It's a lot better on my digestion but around the 8 hour eating window and shorter gets a little rough.
VegASLan likes this.
#7 Old 10-07-2017, 02:19 AM

Few years ago I did a 10 days of fasting. First I went to a special place to do that because it needed medical supervision. For "breakfast" I had fruit juice, for lunch vegetable soup (cooked but without salt or any spices) and for dinner fruit juice again. During the day I had loads of water and tea. I felt totally cleansed and my hearing, sight got much better, even lost a few kilos.

Later I did it again by myself for 5 days only but it was still good. Only that you need to have some calm days to do it.
VegASLan likes this.
#8 Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the input guys
#9 Old 10-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Vegan since 1991

If you're going to completely fast for more than a couple of days, it should be medically-supervised. Also, keep drinking water during the fast - dehydration is dangerous.
VegASLan likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page