No beans? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By caryn

#1 Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 AM

No beans?

I went lacto-ovo vegetarian back in 2008-2009. I started eating fish again 2-3 years ago (no hate please!), and I am working on transitioning back to vegetarian. I haven't eaten fish in a few weeks the idea of eating it again is kind of grossing me out. I haven't eaten land animals since 2008-2009, and I have no desire to ever eat them again.

I just need some advice with the mental aspects (I know it's mental and I just need to get used to not eating it again). I don't like beans, but I like pretty much all other vegetarian food: fruit, veggies, quinoa, tofu, tempeh, fake veggie meats (not healthy I know). Is it possible to stay healthy without beans? I learned healthy habits when I started eating fish and lost weight, and I guess a big worry is gaining weight going back veg since I don't like beans. I do plan on still eating eggs and dairy.

Any advice to get over FOMO of eating fish/ advice/ motivation to not eat it would be helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what FOMO means
You certainly can be vegetarian just fine without beans, although you're getting them from tofu and tempeh. No hummus? No refried beans? No lentil or bean soups?

I never cared for fish so I can't really relate. Are you afraid of eating more dairy and egg as substitutes?

Try Gardien crab cakes! I dislike them because they taste just like crab cakes to me-other people say they like them because they taste just like crab cakes. I do like Gardein Fishless fillets even though I didn't like fish fillets-they're just good!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. FOMO = fear of missing out. I know this sounds so stupid, but I really don't know how else to explain it.

I do like hummus and sometimes I like chickpeas. I do like edamame. No refried beans or any other traditional beans. I think it's a texture thing. I don't know if I've ever actually tried lentils. Any recipes I should try?

I'll need to check out the Gardein substitutes. Sometimes tofu kind of reminds of me fish, and I love tofu dishes.

#4 Old 09-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Quorn do vegan fishless fingers. I have never tried them though. Also, you can get fishless oyster/fish sauce from 'free from' sections in supermarkets if you like that sort of thing? Fry's do meat alternative to prawns and Linda McCartney do meat alternative to scampi (I'm from the UK btw )

I don't really like beans either, they taste like dirt to me! I would just eat the things you like - beans don't have anything that chickpeas or tofu or tempeh or meat substitutes don't have! If you like lentils (I think they are very VERY different and I actually like lentils!) they can be substituted for any dishes you find that require beans. They soak up flavour better (in my opinion) and don't taste like dirt! (Get tinned green lentils - honestly, they are actually better than soaking them yourself!)

If you want motivation to stop eating fish, I made a video for my dad to try and get him to stop eating it. He said that the saddest thing from the video I made was not about the fish he was eating, but about all the other marine life that was being killed by the fishing industry. Whales, sharks, dolphins, birds, seals all get caught in fishing nets and are either butchered for fun if they are found alive and put back in the ocean wounded and dying because it is illegal to take them to shore or they die by trapping themselves in the nets.

You can message me if you want any advice? I would love to help (if you have instagram or twitter feel free to give me a shout on @xmilkyaa)
#5 Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

My main points is if you don't like beans, don't eat them! They are not essential to your diet and some of your fake meats might be made of (soy) beans anyway. Soy and beans have similar nutritional value.

For fish, read some articles/books or watch movies or short videos online about how the fish suffer when they die, and how each fish caught kills many others in bycatch. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer covers both areas in some detail as one part of the book. Also, try google searches to learn more about fish feelings and intelligence. Finally, you could look for some articles online about mercury in fish. I don't know how big an issue it is but worth a look.

Without fish, consider an Omega 3 source such as ground flax seeds, ground chia seeds or walnuts.

Good luck!
#6 Old 09-18-2017, 04:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice! Just wanted to give you all an update. I officially haven't eaten any fish in 1 month, and I'm not craving it at all. I forgot how good I feel being full vegetarian. I love experimenting with veg recipes!
silva, Spudulika and David3 like this.
#7 Old 09-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

If you don't like beans, you don't have to eat them. Garbanzo beans and edamame do taste quite different from most other beans, and they're two of my favorites.

Refried beans are normally made with pinto or maybe kidney beans, and although I'll eat them, they're not my favorites. Have you tried white beans (navy, pea, or great northern)? You mentioned you think texture of refried beans is a problem, and in that case, I maybe black bean soup or pea soup might not appeal to you either.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page