Strange Questions Lol - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Cool Strange Questions Lol

So I have some strange questions!

I am planning to go to Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America which is well known for being off-the-grid and devoted to animals and the natural environment.

I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits already but I do occasionally eat meat though I am going to be trying to transition from this.

My first question is totally off the charts in some ways Lol

Since the Abbot doesn't have a lot of money (If any..) and he rescued a beautiful border collie Dog and that is kind of his companion what would be a good gift for a vegetarian and someone really established in that life style?

Is there anything really neat and or out of the box you all would like and that would probably make his and or his dogs day?

Second question since practicing there a vegetarian diet is consumed should I expect any changes and or things to happen? I know it sounds silly but maybe just knowing stuff a head of time like more gas or something hah (I've heard when transitioning) just so I'm not so confused when it happens.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks for all your info and resources, I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovineverything View Post
So I have some strange questions!

I am planning to go to Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America which is well known for being off-the-grid and devoted to animals and the natural environment.

I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits already but I do occasionally eat meat though I am going to be trying to transition from this.

My first question is totally off the charts in some ways Lol

Since the Abbot doesn't have a lot of money (If any..) and he rescued a beautiful border collie Dog and that is kind of his companion what would be a good gift for a vegetarian and someone really established in that life style?

Is there anything really neat and or out of the box you all would like and that would probably make his and or his dogs day?

Second question since practicing there a vegetarian diet is consumed should I expect any changes and or things to happen? I know it sounds silly but maybe just knowing stuff a head of time like more gas or something hah (I've heard when transitioning) just so I'm not so confused when it happens.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks for all your info and resources, I really appreciate it!

Hi lovineverything,

Mercy For Animals has a nice website about transitioning to vegetarianism: http://www.chooseveg.com . It does a good job of explaining vegetarian nutrition, and it has lots of very easy, down-to-earth meal ideas.

Rather than bringing a gift, it might be helpful to just make a cash donation to the monastery. You can include it with a Thank You card to them.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 08-27-2017, 10:54 PM
Impeach the psychopath

I think the best gift you could bring would be to stop eating meat now, before you go. It would better prepare you for the life you will live there and would be a sign of respect and gratitude to your hosts.

As for what changes you'll experience, everyone is different. There is no rule book on the subject. Going vegetarian- and especially vegan- is a great way to discover who you really are, as an individual, independent of all others, including our animal friends.

Namaste.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."

#4 Old 08-28-2017, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys
#5 Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the changes are different for each person. Changes to digestion, either positive or negative, are possible. Other changes, often positive, to general health and well being, are also quite common. Or you might not get any. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page