VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I've been bad....

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  XWillowX 
#1 ·
I haven't been here for awhile. I've recently been giving into my meat cravings and feel terrible for it. I feel bloated, my back hurts, I've been having gas (TMI, I know). I really need to get back into the swing of the vegetarian diet. Does anyone have any good advice on how to curb the meat cravings (besides the fake meats)?

#2 ·
I found in the beginning that I would crave meat the most when I was hungry. But as soon as I ate anything else the craving would go away. I work in the mall, so I think I was just craving whatever was nearest. I found keeping extra snacks in my bag helped keep the cravings down, and eating any of the vegetarian options that were available made them go away.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
I found in the beginning that I would crave meat the most when I was hungry. But as soon as I ate anything else the craving would go away. I work in the mall, so I think I was just craving whatever was nearest. I found keeping extra snacks in my bag helped keep the cravings down, and eating any of the vegetarian options that were available made them go away.

Hope that helps.
I'm going to have to try that at work today! I find that when I get off of work, that's when I eat meat the most. I work in a grocery store, so I'm constantly seeing meat and animal byproducts when people are going through my checkout line. I didn't realize how addictive meat is until I stopped eating it, then started again. I can't wait to stop again. I felt so much better when I wasn't eating it.

#4 ·
Also, does anyone have any tips for working out quietly (if there is such a thing lol)? My fiance works overnights, so he has to sleep during the day, and working out outside isn't an option because mosquitoes and other bugs LOVE me... or to eat my blood, that is.

#5 ·
It's really important to confront just how strong a connection we have with food we've grown up to love. There are so many memories and habits connected to buying, preparing, sharing, and tasting. I really had to go through a sort of 'deprogramming' where I plowed through many meals of 'meh', lots of thinking about what the heck can I eat, and many many unsatisfied foods. For me it was the cheese, but i still had memories of meals I couldn't resolve for a long time. I'd say it was about six months of vegan before I felt natural, before I truly had favorite foods. Now years later, I have delved into more 'faux meat' kind of foods and am also loving them, as well as loving Daiya block cheeses. My tastes have shifted quite a bit and I also am adding a lot of nutritional yeast, which I barely liked before.

Mushrooms, olives, eggplants, tofu, seitans (homemade), vegetable dumpling stews, Indian foods like paneer things made with tofu instead, stuffed grape leaves (canned or from restaurants), Thai foods, vegan Mexican. Also, Gardein fishless fillets, and burgers, Morningstar BBQ riblets, and if I want a super good gourmet burger--Beyond Beef fresh burger (pricey and found in the meat section) and Beyond Meat beefy crumbles, Daiya Block cheeses, Tofurky Italian sausage, and Trader Joes soy chorizo

Honestly, in the beginning I found keeping a bag of Fritos corn chips were my best ever food for when i had nothing else. One- I love them, and two-they're really filling

#13 ·
Cheese is a big issue too for me because I LOVE cheese. I haven't gotten around to trying Daiya yet, which seems to be really popular around here. I'm not a big fan of mushrooms (the taste and texture makes me gag), but everything else sounds really good.

#6 ·
I haven't been here for awhile. I've recently been giving into my meat cravings and feel terrible for it. I feel bloated, my back hurts, I've been having gas (TMI, I know). I really need to get back into the swing of the vegetarian diet. Does anyone have any good advice on how to curb the meat cravings (besides the fake meats)?
My daughter was a veg*n & ate some meat & got back pain.

She stopped the meat & the back pain went away.

I just watched WHAT THE HEALTH and FOOD MATTERS videos.

Got a lot of good info. Maybe that will help with the cravings. :)

#7 ·
Hi cassafrass,

To reduce meat cravings, it's helpful to always have healthy, convenient food available. If you allow yourself to get too hungry, that's when the cravings can creep in. But, if you always keep some satisfying, ready-to-eat foods with you (nuts, bread-and-hummus, your favorite fruit), then you can prevent that kind of "urgent hunger".

#8 ·
Maybe for some, but the reason I didn't stay veg in my younger days was that I obsessed about health eating vegetarian. I did not crave meat out of hunger, but from craving fatty salty foods. I'd have fared far better with a bag of chips, or a processed vegan burger

#10 ·
I think you're missing my point. I first tried to stay as a teenager. I have always had an interest in nutrition, as well as calorie counting, and knew long before wfpb became a movement that produce along with plant protein sources was the way to eat. I associated what I considered 'vegan junk foods' with eating meat or cheese, and I think I gave those animal foods a higher nutritional standard-so I never really stayed vegan long.

I'm very wary of this new wfpb movement that wants to shame people for eating perfectly vegan foods. They say if you give up the sugar, oils and salt you'll never go back, but what that say of those who do? Very many, many people have gone that route, of eating whole produce, and beans, legumes and nuts, and only whole grains and nothing else. They've felt the best they ever have, lost weight, gained energy, had beautiful test results-and then they don't want to anymore. I know because I've been there and back. Even exercise that was supposed to make me never want to be sedentary because of the wonderful endorphins. I was an exercise fanatic along with my wfpb diet. I was cut, I was strong. I did kickboxing every other day and yoga the others. I was there for years and then I wasn't. When I finally walked out of that beautiful aura of health and well being I found other things that felt just as good. I finally realized I'd been missing a sense of relaxation I'd completely forgotten.

I stress this to people facing the advice of eating foods when they crave animal products because so often it's not a nutritional deficit that's causing the cravings, and it won't often be nuts or hummus that's going to make it go away.

You (and this is towards the whole "what the health crowd") really think people don't know what healthy eating looks like? If giving up all processed foods would change everyone, then why are so very few giving them up? I know you like your numbers now, but they're no different than the very much higher percentages of people who give it up, and their real problem I feel, has way more to do with failure than acknowledging there may be a better resolution. Rather than thinking you failed at being plant based, and going back to meat and cheese-- how about advocating the vast resources of processed vegan foods?

Fritos, Tofurky, soy chorizo--those were my answers to staying vegan- telling me when that switch in the head craved so called "junk foods" to have a handful of nuts, or more fruit is what kept me away from vegan for so very long.

In other words, if your facing the choice of fries or a hamburger- have the fries

#11 ·
It's a small fraction of people I've ever come across that have failed at being veg for health, they've gone back to being omnivores because it offered a choice of foods they want.

The truth is that a diet including some fish still overrides all plant based in terms of health benefits. Most people who switch to wfpb are eating a poor diet to begin with, and yes, they feel wonderful when they switch.

Lets not forget to promote the diversity of eating vegan whether it's wfpb or the typical omni diet sans animal products.

It's so obvious to me how many more people are choosing vegan offering without giving up animal products. If these foods were more mainstreamed don't you see how beneficial that is? The Beyond Meat fresh burger is loved by omnis. They're not picking it apart for nutritional value as the wfpb people who seem to want to trash it because it's not healthy. Silk has converted more people than any small organic additive free soy milk company ever could. Wfpb people mostly trash that brand as having added sugar and other ingredients. Profits and customer demand is what fuels the foods that are produced.

#12 ·
It's a small fraction of people I've ever come across that have failed at being veg for health, they've gone back to being omnivores because it offered a choice of foods they want.

The truth is that a diet including some fish still overrides all plant based in terms of health benefits. Most people who switch to wfpb are eating a poor diet to begin with, and yes, they feel wonderful when they switch.

Lets not forget to promote the diversity of eating vegan whether it's wfpb or the typical omni diet sans animal products.

It's so obvious to me how many more people are choosing vegan offering without giving up animal products. If these foods were more mainstreamed don't you see how beneficial that is? The Beyond Meat fresh burger is loved by omnis. They're not picking it apart for nutritional value as the wfpb people who seem to want to trash it because it's not healthy. Silk has converted more people than any small organic additive free soy milk company ever could. Wfpb people mostly trash that brand as having added sugar and other ingredients. Profits and customer demand is what fuels the foods that are produced.

#14 ·

A lot of it, too, is the propaganda that's fueled by the government. Everybody thinks it's cheaper to buy the unhealthy processed stuff, but I've been finding out that produce is actually cheaper than buying other foods if you buy what's in season in your area. Sometimes the health food stuff is more expensive, but if more people started buying it, it wouldn't be that way.

#16 · (Edited)
I realized after posting what I posted a few minutes ago that it isn't really relevant to the main point of the thread and I was contributing to the thread going off topic. On second thoughts let's focus the topic on helping the OP.

I can't personally help much to be honest, I don't have cravings. The only thing I can suggest to the OP is to keep trying any new vegan burgers/meats touted as being very much like meat in taste rather than regular soy burgers that taste very different.

I've heard that Mcdonalds burger flavour is more in the added flavouring than the actual burger whichis fairly tasteless. So could adding some flavouring to things to help. I am not sure if this is a good idea. Just a thought.

#17 ·
I recently bought an 8 pack of Morning Star original grillers, and it looks and tastes just like meat. I had to take a look at the ingredients again after eating one to make sure there was no meat in it. Lol I think it will do nicely to curb my meat cravings. Thanks for all the advice!

#18 ·
That's great news. I think it's great that there are burgers out there that taste exactly like meat, and ones that don't taste anything like meat, and other food options for people that don't need burgers or meat replacement at all.

There are less and less valid excuses to not go vegan everyday. It's one thing to prefer to cause animal cruelty and death and environmental damage to have a tastier burger. It's even less of an argument to do it for no reason at all.

#19 ·
EATING DISORDER NUMBERS ETC

I have been struggling with this as well i was veggie thinking about going vegan , my husband and pastor who is also my friend told me not to go vegan my husband is so against me becoming vegan that he says it too much money when i have bought things on a budget and managed to pay the same my husband hates change i kinda screwed up and started to eat meat again i know feel very guilty and hate myself for what i have done i also have an long standing eating disorder that i cant seem to get any help from i starve myself eating under 1000 calories a day sometimes 700 calories a day i dont take vitamins or extra protein and there are other times where i binge eat and it was a binge that kinda lead me to eat meat again i dont purge but there is times where i want to my husband wants me to be healthy yet if i go beyond being veggie he throws a fit
i am obese and have problems exercising due to being obese i cant go to the gym on my own if i want to use anything else apart from the treadmill i try and walk mostly but lately havent been doing it much to be honest i feel too tired to walk or do very much that would be seen as exercise i also am on a lot of medication due to my mental health problems including hearing voices and i have to take anti psychotics and sometimes they increase apatite and some can put weight on as well
i cant get help for my eating disorder as there has been nothing in my area for anyone like me and the only help i get from my dr is her weighing which makes me feel like crap she says there is nothing for anyone who BMI is over 17 however there is a new group starting a peer support group in my area for people with eating problems my husband is now pissed at me going to be fun tonight ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.