Wanting to start a vegetarian lifestyle - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By calliemae

#1 Old 07-28-2017, 11:58 AM

Wanting to start a vegetarian lifestyle

Hi,

I have recently really wanted to start a vegetarian lifestyle but I get totally overwhelmed by the thought of what am I going to eat. I looked at several types of dishes and meal plans but really wanted to get some feed back from actual vegetarians.

What does a typical day of food look like for you?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Don't get so overwhelmed. You will probably find that a lot of foods you currently eat are vegetarian. Peanut butter on toast, salads (not caesar), baked potatoes, spaghetti marinara. Other dishes that usually contain meat.are really easy to make veg. If a pasta dish ever calls for ground beef I will substitute for beans or lentils, lasagna, bolognese, even tacos can work this way. Make a list of some of your fave foods and sub the meat for either beans, lentils or just bulk up the veggies already in the dish. Chicken dishes I will often sub for mushrooms, chickpeas, broccoli or anything else I have on hand.

For me, breakfast is usually some kind of granola, cereal, or toast. Lunch is either leftovers, veggie burgers, sandwiches, salads, or even just chips and guacamole. Dinner I eat lots of stir fries, chillis, pasta dishes, tacos, fajitas, pot pies.
#3 Old 07-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Breakfasts:
workdays I like to start with a smoothie with fruit, ground flaxseeds or chia seeds, matcha and sometimes I'll add some greens -most often spinach
Cream of wheat- look for iron fortified, often 30%
Oats-either cooked with spices and fruit or rolled oats uncooked with non dairy milk and fruit
whole grain toast with non dairy spread nutritional yeast and black salt
cut up fruit with chia seeds and enough juice or non dairy milk to make a chia pudding
peanut butter and jelly
any leftover cooked grains-brown rice or farrow, with a splash of non dairy milk or soy creamer if I have it, spices
Weekends- tofu scramble with veggies. Tempeh sausage. hash browns. Crescent rolls, biscuits, potato pancakes

Lunches:
grains beans and veggies
sandwiches or wheat tortilla wraps--tempeh. baked tofu. chickpea salad. vegan mayo or hummus with nutritional yeast and veggies. fat free refried beans tomato green pepper. sauerkraut and vegan cheese. hummus and veggies and crackers. leftover pasta dishes. salads with all kinds of things. beans and rice. all kinds of soups and stews

Dinner:
sauteed tofu and veggies. stir fries. curries every way. casseroles. seitan in all forms with vegetables and maybe mash potatoes or cauliflower and gravy. ratatoulle with butterbeans. a casserole with broccolli cauliflower white beans and a white nutritional yeast sauce. scalloped potatoes with bean patties. chili. vegetable stew with dumplings. chickpea cutlets.tofu fu-young. general tsos tofu.spaghetti with Tofurky Italian sausage onions and peppers with nutritional yeast. pasta with nutritional yeast cashew sauce and broccolli. Cashew cheese with veggies. lentil loaf. nut loaf. tacos with lentil mixture or Trader Joes soy chorizo and Daiya block cheddar. enchiladas. stuffed pepper. cabbage beans potatoes and barley. rice pilaf with tempeh.

You need to remember you've been programmed to think of foods in certain ways. The longer you stay veg the more variety you learn until you can't even fathom how anyone can think of eating animals.
It's like being veg is omni- I never ate bugs or organ meats when I was omni even though they're suited for omnis. Now that meat isn't food, I feel very 'omni'

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Last edited by silva; 07-28-2017 at 05:20 PM.

#4 Old 07-28-2017, 05:59 PM

Thank you! This has really helped me a ton!
#5 Old 07-29-2017, 07:06 PM

I was a vegetarian for a year and am now I new vegan.

Yves ground round Mexican style in tacos
Chill without beef
Soups sans animal stock
Wraps
Enchiladas with beans instead of chicken
Spaghetti sans meat sauce ( just canned marinara sauce, sometimes lentil " meat" balls)

I never ate much tofu and tempeh but I coped fine! now I'm vegan and I'm more into tofu but I'd just eat what you usually eat without meat! you think it's impossible and then you go vegetarian and find so much new food! I say, don't try meat substitutes for a few months. They won't taste good until you haven't and meat for a while
#6 Old 07-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel4eva View Post
Hi,

I have recently really wanted to start a vegetarian lifestyle but I get totally overwhelmed by the thought of what am I going to eat. I looked at several types of dishes and meal plans but really wanted to get some feed back from actual vegetarians.

What does a typical day of food look like for you?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

I was a vegetarian bachelor for 15 years, before meeting my wife. I always cooked really simple stuff, like these:

Whole wheat pasta with boiled lentils and jar spaghetti sauce

Whole wheat pasta with jar spaghetti sauce, with well-mashed tofu mixed into the sauce

Oatmeal with some well-mashed tofu mixed in, and raisins

Lentils and brown rice, with a little salt

Natural-type peanut butter, on whole grain bread

Canned black beans and canned corn, rinsed well, mixed in a bowl with some chopped avocado

Canned lentil soup, with some canned corn mixed in

Salad: Spinach or mixed greens with chopped tomatoes, plus dressing

Whole wheat pita bread with hummus

Small red or yellow potatoes, boiled whole until tender. Eat with a little salt or some ketchup

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#7 Old 08-22-2017, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AditiCorp View Post
Turning Veg is really a great experience!!
Are you a new vegetarian AditiCorp?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page