New vegetarian needs advice - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 07-24-2017, 02:49 PM

New vegetarian needs advice

Hello. I have been vegetarian for an entire year now. I love this lifestyle and everything about it.
However, recently I have encountered a big problem. The corners of my lips are always cracked. It's painful and annoying. I've been trying to fight this in various ways for a month and nothing has really helped. When it goes away it usually comes back after two days.
I've been told that this might be the result of my new diet and that perhaps my body is not suitable for this kind of thing. Could that be the problem? If it is, then will it go away over time? Will my body simply get used to a new diet or do I have to give up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

If you still eating meat what would you think? Sure, you could be deficient in something, but it's not from a meat deficiency! If it is diet related it would be the same answer.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013...home-remedies/
https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolinekee...wpb#.sv38jXbJ6

My mother did have cracks and kinda scales around her mouth and I believe it cleared up when she stopped using flouride toothbrush

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll be going to a dermatologist soon. Maybe she'll be able to help.
At this point I'm pretty sure it's some sort of infection because of how fast it comes back and since I always make sure to eat properly and get all the vitamins.
I'm just really glad that I don't have to choose between eating meat and having cracked lips for the rest of my life

#4 Old 07-25-2017, 04:24 AM

I am so fed up with meat-eaters telling vegans that our bodies might not be "suitable" for veganism. I have never once heard a meat-eater suggest that someone's body might not be "suitable" for meat-eating. Humans have never eaten as many animal products as we do now (except perhaps in very cold regions where there is no vegetation). We evolved eating plants, fruits, berries, and seeds. Our teeth and digestive systems look more like those of herbivores than like those of carnivores. Our closest evolutionary ancestors are herbivores. Furthermore, there is increasing evidence to suggest that our bodies are simply incapable of handling the standard American diet.

Vegans occasionally get sick, as do meat-eaters. Vegans eventually die, like meat-eaters. If every time a vegan has a health problem, they blame veganism, there will be no vegans in the world. And that is precisely what meat-eaters want, because our mere existence makes them feel guilty about their own choices.

If you want to reassure yourself about how healthy a vegan diet is, please check out Dr. Michael Greger's "Nutrition Facts" web site. Don't let the meat-eaters criticize your diet when they are the ones who are harming their bodies on a daily basis.
#5 Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 PM

First things first: not eating meat doesn't impact your skin negatively.

Advice for you: often the symptoms that you are describing are because
-you aren't drinking enough water.
-you have been outdoors a lot lately and they are being impacted by the sun-- lips can peel just like skin if they aren't protected.
-licking your lips a lot-- once they become chapped once, don't lick them-- it makes things WORSE. It could just be a cycle caused by chapped lips only happening once.
-cinnamates (used in toothpaste [toothpaste can also be a cause because some types are dehydrating to the lips], gum, or candies of certain types) or citrus. Have you been chewing a new gum a lot lately? Eating a lot of oranges?
-Medications (any new meds?)
-Deficiencies in vitamin B OR consuming too much vitamin A

Good luck!

Last edited by silva; 07-26-2017 at 05:57 AM.
#6 Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Since you are seeing a doctor soon, also keep in mind that many health professionals are not well educated on a health veggie diet. It may even possible that they received biased information from the food industry during their education. When I did some research on improving my diet I read source where one doctor admitted to experiencing this type of education while in college. I often find myself more informed than health professionals on what a health diet is for veggie eaters. Education of most medical professionals need to be improved in this are.

Tags
health , health issues , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page