How to deal with a meat-eating family? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By Dustie
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 3 Post By Werewolf Girl

#1 Old 11-27-2016, 10:30 AM

Unhappy How to deal with a meat-eating family?

Hi there everyone!

I'm a pretty peaceful vegetarian and like to keep to myself, meaning I don't push my lifestyle onto others, so I feel like in a way I deserve the same respect. My family, despite knowing I've been a vegetarian for a year now, continue to say and do obliviously rude things and pretend like they forget I don't eat meat.

For example, I visited my family for Thanksgiving and my dad proceeded to tell me about how his step son killed a deer and how the meat is great, etc and proceeded to try and show me. It was the first time I snapped at him because again, I turn a blind eye even while they're eating turkey or any meat in front of me, because it grosses me out but I don't have a right to tell them what to eat in their own house. So anyway, I yelled at him and told him he knows I'm a vegetarian and I find it incredibly disrespectful that he does things like that to me. All he does is smile and laugh about it.

My family will do similar things to me when I visit, like offer me food with meat in it and laugh and tell me it's really good, and I just force a fake laugh and say no thank you.

How do you guys deal with family who push meat on you or do rude things like that? I try to stress to them that it really grosses me out and hurts my feelings when they do that, they'll apologize, but they'll do the same thing the next time.

So frustrating..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2016, 10:46 AM

You have tried reacting pleasantly to them. How about not reacting at all? They say or do something rude or stupid and you just walk away. Do not say anything. Do not change the expression on your face. Act as if they aren't even there. They are being rude because they get a reaction from you.
#3 Old 11-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Honestly..
Why do you feel obligated to kiss a**. You're right, they can do what they please in their household, but you can also do as you please. If anyone treated me that way, they would either learn to respect me, or they wouldn't see me.
Why do you feel you deserve less respect than what you give?
Purp and Riuma like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

#4 Old 11-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
You have tried reacting pleasantly to them. How about not reacting at all? They say or do something rude or stupid and you just walk away. Do not say anything. Do not change the expression on your face. Act as if they aren't even there. They are being rude because they get a reaction from you.
I agree they're doing this to get a reaction from you. They see how it bothers you and they think it's hilarious, don't give them that satisfaction.

I used to get picked on for being vegetarian when I was younger and I was picked on a lot in general at school, it stopped when I got more confident in myself and my beliefs and started projecting strength instead of weakness. I'm betting if you just rolled your eyes at your dad and changed the subject he'd eventually stop bringing stuff like that up. I know it's easier said than done but with practice you learn to act detached even if you don't feel it. That's why I love Veggieboards, I can save all my ranting for here with people who understand.
Purp, Symondezyn and Riuma like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 12-03-2016, 03:52 PM

Thanks guys. Haven't had any issues lately but will just ignore the next attempt at irritating me

Tags
family , meat , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page