• 2 Post By Symondezyn
  • 1 Post By dbrittany
  • 1 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By Riuma
  • 1 Post By Riuma

#1 Old 11-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Smile Traveling Stops

Hello,

I want to plan a winter vacation trip somewhere in the US. I wanted to know where some great vegetarian restaurants are around the country. Any ideas of where I should visit? I know Ohio and California have some good food places to visit. Do you guys know of other places?
Purp and Avril like this.

DBRITTANY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Blind Faith Cafe just outside Chicago (in Evanston) is excellent. They've got plenty of both ovo-lacto vegetarian and vegan selections. Everything I've ordered there is good.

Last edited by Dilettante; 11-05-2016 at 03:23 PM.
#3 Old 11-05-2016, 03:43 PM

I am checking out their website, and I am impressed! There's even a Trader Joe's within walking distance.
Purp and Dilettante like this.

DBRITTANY

#4 Old 11-05-2016, 04:32 PM

I love HipCityVeg! They're in Philadelphia and Washington, DC.
Purp and dbrittany like this.
#5 Old 11-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Chicago Diner (in Chicago obviously lol) is quite popular between vegetarian restaurants -- also has plenty of vegan options. I haven't eaten there yet, but the menu looks pretty good and I am planning on eating there this next Friday and Saturday. If I remember, I'll post what I thought of the food.

http://www.veggiediner.com/menus/

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#6 Old 11-05-2016, 07:08 PM

I can't wait to start comparing menus!
Purp likes this.

DBRITTANY
#7 Old 11-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrittany View Post
Hello,

I want to plan a winter vacation trip somewhere in the US. I wanted to know where some great vegetarian restaurants are around the country. Any ideas of where I should visit? I know Ohio and California have some good food places to visit. Do you guys know of other places?

Portland and Eugene (both in Oregon) are very veg-friendly cities.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#8 Old 11-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

In the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul), there is the Herbivorous Butcher Shop, a MUST see place with awesome vegan "meat" and "cheese" products made on site and mostly local ingredients! There is also the Ecopolitan, a raw vegan restaurant. And Hard Times Cafe which is all vegetarian/vegan.

I live three hours north of there and it's slim pickings up here, but a few restaurants have some nice vegan options. Pizza Luce has vegan pizzas and hoagies. Duluth Grill (right off I-35) has a selection of vegan breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. And Sara's Table is also great for vegan dining. Duluth has two Whole Foods Coops with lots of vegan friendly products and local produce. And the north shore of Lake Superior is an awesome winter vacation area! If you are into snowshoeing or skiing, This area rocks!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 11-06-2016, 07:02 PM

Oregon and Minnesota are so pretty, but Illinois....so many great options!
Purp likes this.

DBRITTANY
#10 Old 11-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
In the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul), there is the Herbivorous Butcher Shop, a MUST see place with awesome vegan "meat" and "cheese" products made on site and mostly local ingredients! There is also the Ecopolitan, a raw vegan restaurant. And Hard Times Cafe which is all vegetarian/vegan.

I live three hours north of there and it's slim pickings up here, but a few restaurants have some nice vegan options. Pizza Luce has vegan pizzas and hoagies. Duluth Grill (right off I-35) has a selection of vegan breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. And Sara's Table is also great for vegan dining. Duluth has two Whole Foods Coops with lots of vegan friendly products and local produce. And the north shore of Lake Superior is an awesome winter vacation area! If you are into snowshoeing or skiing, This area rocks!
I think someone on this site told me that restaurant is closed down.

Seattle, WA has Plum Bistro, Loving Hut, Chaco Canyon, Cafe Flora,and a lot more. Hope you come up here and say, "Hi".
dbrittany likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#11 Old 11-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Finally ate at Chicago Diner today (yesterday).

The food seems to have that homemade feeling, and the portions are a nice size. I got the seitan bbq wings, and the truffle mushroom lentil loaf. So did my husband. We both enjoyed it.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#12 Old 11-12-2016, 11:34 PM

I'm thinking about going to Illinois, to both Evanston and Chicago this winter. Then in the spring, I want to make a trip to Oregon. From pictures I've seen, Minnesota is too beautiful to stay for less than a few days. Thank you guys!
Purp likes this.

DBRITTANY
#13 Old 11-13-2016, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
I think someone on this site told me that restaurant is closed down.

Seattle, WA has Plum Bistro, Loving Hut, Chaco Canyon, Cafe Flora,and a lot more. Hope you come up here and say, "Hi".
They are still open. I just talked to them at the Veg Fest in Minneapolis a few weeks ago. ???
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 11-13-2016, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
They are still open. I just talked to them at the Veg Fest in Minneapolis a few weeks ago. ???
They highlighted 'Ecopolitan'. I think that was the one someone posted a tremendous picture spread on one of the food sites! I was abolutely drooling in awe, and disbelief it closed!

Cleveland has a number of veg'n and mostly veg'n friendly sites. I've actually never visited the veg'n ones like Townhall, or Cleveland Vegan, or Flaming Ice Cube, but love the Indian restaurants and other ethic foods. My favorite are the Thai places, which mostly understand vegan if you specify NO FISH. Most have veg labeled sections, but still specify! I had a saucer of fish sauce come with my place once. Thai Lotus is wonderful, and not guilty of that, right in the heart of the art district of Cleveland Ht's. And Falafel Cafe, a small mideastern cafe near the art museum and Severance
Purp likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#15 Old 11-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Plant Powered

I was going to say Seattle, but someone beat me to it!! ^_^ There is also a Veggie Grill there (which we don't have in Vancouver), Dog in the Park has a great veggie dog, and Cinnamon Works makes an amazing vegan cinnamon bun ^_^ Most other restaurants are very veg friendly as well, which is so nice when you're with a mixed group!
#16 Old 12-08-2016, 02:25 PM

I decided to visit Chicago this winter! I'm so excited! I am more than likely going alone so I'm a little worried about getting lost. I want to stay near Humboldt Park or Lincoln Park, I haven't decided.
Purp likes this.
#17 Old 12-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Ankle Biter

NYC has lots of excellent vegan /vegan friendly restaurants, although Candle 79 is my personal favorite (going there next week - yay!). San Francisco is the center of the vegan universe, imho - definitely check out Millennium if you get a chance. And Portland, Oregon is a vegan's paradise (VooDoo donuts!). And, Portland isn't that far away from the Oregon Coast, which is actually the prettiest place on the whole planet.
Purp likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#18 Old 12-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrittany View Post
I am checking out their website, and I am impressed! There's even a Trader Joe's within walking distance.
Trader Joe's has been a life saver since I've been vegan. I've found a lot of good products there.
Purp likes this.

Cheers,
Riuma

Copyright to this Riuma. All rights reserved.
#19 Old 12-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Beginner

The Red Cup is a vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Oklahoma. I was going to try it but they decided to change their closing time (), so I haven't gotten around to it since.

http://www.theredcupokc.com
Purp likes this.

Cheers,
Riuma

Copyright to this Riuma. All rights reserved.

Tags
travel , vacation snacks travel , winter vacation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page