VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

People ask WHY I'm vegetarian, but i have no answer

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  MrsMoo 
#1 ·
I turned vegetarian a month ago and I'm still doing pretty good with the transition. it's surprisingly easier than i thought it would, i have more cravings for chips than for meat XDDD

but then, sometimes people offer me meat as courtesy (because they don't know that i'm veg) and i have to explain to them that I don't eat meat or that i'm vegetarian.

the MOST COMMON comment was "why?" and the funny thing is... i have no clear answer. i just say:
-because it makes me feel better
- because it's environmentally friendly
- because i don't like meat anyways (which is true)

and people say, "why?" or " that's not a reason..." ... !!! what??

and then I get so many controversial (or passive aggressive) hate because i am vegetarian from CHOICE and not from religion or restrictive health (e.g. allergies). I feel like if I said, "because religion," it'll make the conversation easier... but i'm not religious...

I guess the main point is... what is a good environmental reason that i should say? or what is a good reason for me to be veg?
cause honestly, i don't tell ppl i'm veg anymore... it causes so much conflict. i just say "i hate meat."

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Your answers sound pretty clear to me... Some people just can't imagine life without meat.

#3 · (Edited)
yeah, i thought so too... but then.. "WHY is it environmentally friendly?" "organic meat is healthy too"
so i want to elaborate but i honestly don't know how.

and the "i don't like meat" reason is not good enough =-= they'll say, then you should TRY better meat! or, "that's just cause it wasn't cooked right" or yadiyadah =-= and that just makes the situation worst

and i think the worst thing is: i honestly don't care for the animals as much... it's mainly those 3 reasons are enough for me.

#4 ·
You can research "meat greenhouse emissions/pollution/water footprint". You will find articles about how meat contributes to that.

#5 ·
Sounds like you eat what you want to eat. Maybe you turn the tables and ask those people why they would eat the crap they do
It's ok to ask question out of a genuine interest, your friends sound rude and ignorant.

My reason is that I think its horrid to murder anyone when there is no reason too
People live better on plants, we're not cavemen anymore

#6 ·
You need to be careful when you talk with people. Not only about food. But also other topics, like religion, politics and such stuff.

If you say you are blue, and they are red, they will start to be hostile. So next time when you are asked tries to give the rainbow answer.

Something like: I prefer vegetables or fruit if you have, thanks. I m not that much hungry.

People offer meat because zillion years back people were hunting big animals together and then they would share meat and eat all of the animals in few days, because they didn't know when will be the next time they will hunt something down. Also, they didn't have refrigerator to store meat.

So when they offer you meat it is because they like you, and they show respect, so if you don't want to hurt their feelings you need to choose your answer carefully.

I learned this hard way myself and i was in very awkward situation because i m stubborn and when we started to talk about food in details i didn't pick my words and sometimes i almost had fights.

#7 ·
You know, I have had this issue since I swapped first to vegan three years ago, and then to just vegetarian a year later(I kind of go back and forth on that, typically I'm at about 90% vegan). It is hard to understand why people have so much of an issue with it. It is just something they cannot seem to grasp, because it is out of the norm for them. I live in Alabama, and vegetarianism/veganism is definitely not common around here. A lot of people act like i'm an alien or something when I say I don't eat meat. I always just say that I don't care for meat, and it never felt right for me personally to eat it. Then if they object I ask them why I should continue to do something that I have never really felt comfortable doing? If they still just can't wrap their head around it, and want to continue to question my motives on it, I pretty much just end the conversation, unless they have an actual legitimate question. You do not have to justify your reasons to someone. It is your body and you have the right to decide what type of diet it right for you. In my experience some people just will NOT ever let it go. I have friends and family members who like to joke about it, or say things like "Oh come on, it's just got some chicken broth in it" or "It just has a little bit of meat in it, it won't kill you just this once, I promise I won't tell on you." I just say no thanks i'm good and move on. I find no need to get defensive or hostile about it.

#8 ·
When people give you a hard time, give them a hard time right back - "Why shouldn't I be vegetarian? It's better for me, for the environment and for the animals, too." Or "I don't like my colon or my arteries clogged, thank you anyway."

Reactions: Purp
#9 ·
I turned vegetarian a month ago and I'm still doing pretty good with the transition. it's surprisingly easier than i thought it would, i have more cravings for chips than for meat XDDD

but then, sometimes people offer me meat as courtesy (because they don't know that i'm veg) and i have to explain to them that I don't eat meat or that i'm vegetarian.

the MOST COMMON comment was "why?" and the funny thing is... i have no clear answer. i just say:

and then I get so many controversial (or passive aggressive) hate because i am vegetarian from CHOICE and not from religion or restrictive health (e.g. allergies). I feel like if I said, "because religion," it'll make the conversation easier... but i'm not religious...

I guess the main point is... what is a good environmental reason that i should say? or what is a good reason for me to be veg?
cause honestly, i don't tell ppl i'm veg anymore... it causes so much conflict. i just say "i hate meat."
OK, here's one:

"According to Environmental Working Group data, if a four-person family stops eating meat and cheese for one week, they benefit the environment as much as if they stopped driving their car for 35 weeks."

Here's another from the World Health Organization (WHO)

"The WHO now classifies processed meat in the same category as smoking and asbestos, based on its certainty of a link with cancer, but stressed that did not mean they were equally dangerous.

Unprocessed red meat such as steak and lamb shanks is classified as "probably carcinogenic." "

And tell them to watch Conspiracy, free on Netflix, produced by Leo DiCaprio,and does not have really gross animal torture scenes. Tell them you will discuss your reasons after they watch the movie. If they don't watch it, they aren't interested. If you want to gross someone out, recommend Earthlings instead [emoji6]

#15 ·
I second the recommendation for Cowspiracy - in fact, if your reasons are largely environmental, it would be great for you to watch too; lots of really excellent facts that are often covered up or glossed over in media coverage. Just the one single fact of massive deforestation due to cattle farming is a gross enough reason to ditch meat. Then there's the pollution, the ocean contamination, the water usage, etc etc...
lolz thanks for the recommendations guys! recommend more if you have any ideas XP i'm actually pretty ignorant about the reasons behind vegetarianism XPPP

#10 ·
I second the recommendation for Cowspiracy - in fact, if your reasons are largely environmental, it would be great for you to watch too; lots of really excellent facts that are often covered up or glossed over in media coverage. Just the one single fact of massive deforestation due to cattle farming is a gross enough reason to ditch meat. Then there's the pollution, the ocean contamination, the water usage, etc etc...

#12 ·

Here's excellent advice on this exact issue. The advice starts at minute 3:14

#13 ·
Yeah. I thinks this is a fairly common issue. For me, I just say

"It's a mix of a lifestyle choice and religious beliefs that brought me here. However, I'm not up for debate or to elaborate further. Sorry, I've had too many people try to challenge me over my personal dietary choices that works for me. Thanks for asking!"

There is no use debating people and starting a flame-full-on.. all it will do is make people (including yourself) bitter, for the duo challenge of their morals and beliefs. Telling them to google something, watch a YT video, or some other carry on topic.. isn't any use. It's stooping down to their level.

#17 ·
Funny. If one were to ask a meat eater why they are a meat eater, what would they say?
-I like meat
-It tastes good
-Because I eat what I want to eat

Imagine one asking a vegetarian why they eat vegetarian and the responses were thus:

-I like vegetables
-It tastes good
-Because I eat what I want to eat

It's really all the explanation or justification anyone needs -including to yourself.

#19 ·
I always say I am vegan for ethical reasons. Sometimes I throw in health and social also, but usually I leave it at ethical. If I am at work or in another situation where I don't feel comfortable with, or don't think it is the appropriate time or place to share the details of why I am vegan and counter some of the common questions from others, I will mention that.

When I was newly vegan, I would reference links such as the ones below to help me more clearly and effectively answer the bombardment of questions and arguments from others when they learned I was vegan. Sometimes I would even print out copies and hand them to people who were serious about learning more:

http://prime.peta.org/2008/10/common-arguments-against-vegetarianism-and-how-to-answer-them
http://www.veganfuturenow.com/answering-the-objections-to-veganism/#but-lions-eat-meat
http://www.shellethics.com/ethics/ultimate-arguments-against-veganism/#1449280468242-185a3152-a3ef
http://thevegantruth.blogspot.com/2012/02/response-to-typical-comments-vegans.html

#20 ·
Vegan kid

There are many reasons why you shouldn't eat meat, too many to write. Basically, it's good for your body, the people (it effects world hunger) the planet and obviously the animals. I would do your homework and research it. If you don't like graphic stuff like me, bitesize vegan has done a video for kids called 5 reasons why we don't eat meat. She's done another called 11 things wrong with environmentalism which explains the environment. Lastly, she's done a do fish have feeling one for kids. Hope this was helpful

#24 ·
I hate when people ask what do I notice that's different, as if there has to be some miraculous physical change since giving up animal products. Not everyone experiences a transformation. It's more mental for me. I just overall feel good. Plus, the only real physical change I noticed is how much better my "insides" work and it's not like I want to go around broadcasting that, hahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I'm more of an introvert so don't like to talk about my diet with meat eaters. My children do not eat meat and my daughter was shocked when I told her when she asked that most people eat meat and what it was. If only everyone thought of eating meat as how a child with fresh eyes views it. I'd love to act shocked when someone mentions their meaty food and act like it's so unusual. I wonder how many meat eaters would continue to eat meat if it wasn't the 'norm'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.