VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnivores - Hypocrites?

11K views 131 replies 27 participants last post by  Beautiful Joe 
#1 ·
What I cannot stand is the hypocrisy some omnivores possess. They fight for animal rights, complain about abuse against all animals, yet they think it is perfectly fine to be ignorant towards the abuse that animals reared for food in and out of the slaughterhouses suffer. They seem to ignore the pain these animals feel when their lives are abruptly ended or when they are injected with chemicals causing marked weight gain (losing the ability to walk and breathe properly) , kicked or confined in tiny areas allowing little movement. I have come to the conclusion that just because farm animals are not as "cute" or "fluffy" as cats and dogs, it is somewhat okay for animals to be abused and treated with disrespect. This includes "tasty" or "unintelligent" animals. Notice all omnivores like animals out of their food chain often? It is hypocrisy. Being slaughtered against its own will and without consent is abuse at its best. And so does being confined in small spaces, being treated with disrespect, kicked, and the list goes on.

It seems to me the mentality of self-proclaimed animal lovers are like this: "I cannot tolerate abuse against ALL animals... Except less cute ones like cow, chicken and pigs because they taste good and are least intelligent. Therefore I should feel less guilty about these desires. "

Until aliens descend onto Earth, rear humans for meat and think they are suitable for consumption just because they are more advanced and intelligent than them, people will never understand the fear and excruciating pain animals reared for food go through.

See less See more
#3 ·
PilotInCommand said:
Omnivores - Hypocrites?
Yes.

But you know what else is cute and fluffy?

Friggen' FRUIT BATS.

Fruit bats are awesome!

The only reasons people don't like them is because they're vegans, and nothing terrifies the masses more than a vegan who can fly.

#21 ·
You are so awesome ROFL. That should be a signature quote. I absolutely love bats, the ugly and the cute ones, it's an obsession, I have a flight of bats tattoo coming from a belfry (not finished yet, low budget lol) and even those kind of wall vinyl decal in my bedroom https://img1.etsystatic.com/006/0/5291827/il_570xN.378469289_kxlj.jpg

Reactions: LedBoots
#4 ·
Intresting thought, eating human meat. Many years ago, I nearly died of peritonitis due to a ruptured appendix I had been walking around with for nearly a year. Any way, the wound from the operation was huge and had to remain open to drain. At one point, the nurses came in to change the dressing, and pulled a ton of gauzy stuff out of the wound. I really wanted to look, and asked if I could. I had been about 1/2 hour away from real death when they brought me in, so this was prolonged, gruesome and real. Anyway, they said, go ahead, and I looked and saw---MEAT!!! Yup, I was made of meat. It looked like the kind of the dark pink stuff people buy at the grocery store. I became a vegetarian due to that experience and a few others. It took me some time to make the connections, and I was brought up in a big meat eating family. It was strange though, looking into my own body and seeing I was not made of cotton candy, but USDA grade Human meat.

#8 ·
Yup, I was made of meat. It looked like the kind of the dark pink stuff people buy at the grocery store. I became a vegetarian due to that experience
So more people would become vegetarian if they had holes in them. Hmmm...

#6 ·
Absolutely. It disgusts me how people consider themselves lovers of animals yet eat them. I love all animals and won't eat any. Such hypocrites. They consider themselves "lions" too and think eating meat portrays them as "stronger", "savage" and more "brave", thinking that if they eat like a lion, they can inherit those attributes. Yet, these idiots cannot kill these animals with their own hands or eat the meat raw without any seasoning.

#14 ·
You hadn't met me, back in my just-before-turning vegetarian days. :) I was full-on ARA, militant as can be, out walking the walk and talking the talk, doing protests/boycotts, cutting up my American Express card and sending it in, telling them until they stopped promoting the sale of fur [in their mailings] I didn't want to be a cardholder any more, the whole works. And I still ate meat. Oh, it wasn't very long before everything clicked, but there definitely was some lag time between when I first really became involved in animal rights and when I made the switch to strict vegetarianism. So it DOES happen. Sometimes.

For me, the only explanation I can think of or that sounds plausible--this many years on--is that I didn't really know how cruel and abusive the meat industry actually is. I was brought up thinking--or, more accurately, NOT thinking--about meat at all, at least not in terms of its origins, how it ends up on my table, etc., just that meat animals are "put on this earth for us to use!" I even remember saying something like that to my brother-in-law, who has been vegetarian since the '70s, i.e., "but that's what they're here for!" Oh well. I can't say I'm proud of it, but there it is.

I'd like to think that if EVERYONE watched undercover videos of factory farms and slaughterhouses, the MAJORITY of them would go veg immediately. Sure, there would be some people who just frankly don't give a crap about the suffering, but a lot of people would. It's just getting them to watch...that's the hurdle.

#11 ·
I chose to transition to vegan for health reasons rather than a concern for animal rights.

So, I'm technically one of these hypocrites you're talking about. I love my excruciatingly fluffy and adorable cat, but I don't have qualms with eating animal products. I have a problem with factory/warehouse farming for livestock and the cruel conditions that chickens are brought up in, but I grew up eating animal products, and so I'm jaded to the whole morality discussion.

In a way, I do feel guilt. But it's a guilt for the absence of feeling guilt, if that makes sense. I care for what is under my responsibility. I would never want the death of the horses, goats, dogs, and cats that my parents owned. I never wanted the death of my next door neighbor's cow, who I used to feed through the fence and speak lovingly to it as it grew into an adult. I remember feeling sadness when one day the cow was gone, and when I asked about it, I learned the cow had been taken in to be slaughtered for meat. I remember asking my friend, the son of those neighbors, if he felt bad, how he could eat it when it had been his family's pet, and he simply replied in jokes and smiles, "Nope, it's too tasty."

In short, we tend to form attachments to animals we are brought up with, but not animals elsewhere, though exceptions are made when people can find a certain type of animal attractive. I.e., wolves, lions, bears, tigers, oh my. It's the same sort of feeling of disconnect when it comes to the disparity between the government's treatment of minorities. I'm not native american, so I have a disconnect with the way Canada treats its indigenous populace. Did you know that the last concentration-camp-like boarding school that forcibly ripped native american children from their homes to "teach them western culture" and how to more properly blend in only closed as early as 1980? I didn't until a year ago. It's a similar sort of disconnect, and awareness of the situation doesn't teach motivation to change it.

Many American families (I can't speak for other countries) grow up with food traditions that are centered on meat consumption. When you do something for 15+ years and nobody during that time tells you that it's wrong, and positive, family centered holidays are centered around it--Easter lamb, Thanksgiving Turkey, Christmas ham, etc.--it happens. In other words, we're taught from a young age to associate the consumption of meat as an act of bonding.

Want to get rid of the hypocrites?

Don't shun them. Don't try to shame them for their budding interests. Instead, encourage their development. Gently offer them material. Create family challenges with your friends and colleagues. Introduce them to friendly introductions into veganism, such as VB6, or to simply have a meatless monday. Becoming concerned with animal welfare (as someone mentioned) is a step in the right direction to becoming concerned with animal rights.

#16 ·
I chose to transition to vegan for health reasons rather than a concern for animal rights... I don't have qualms with eating animal products.
A concern for animal rights is central to the philosophy of veganism. Sounds like you're what's called a strict vegetarian or a plant-based dieter. [emoji5]

When you do something for 15+ years and nobody during that time tells you that it's wrong, and positive, family centered holidays are centered around it--Easter lamb, Thanksgiving Turkey, Christmas ham, etc.--it happens. In other words, we're taught from a young age to associate the consumption of meat as an act of bonding.
For me, the only explanation I can think of or that sounds plausible--this many years on--is that I didn't really know how cruel and abusive the meat industry actually is. I was brought up thinking--or, more accurately, NOT thinking--about meat at all, at least not in terms of its origins, how it ends up on my table, etc., just that meat animals are "put on this earth for us to use!" I even remember saying something like that to my brother-in-law, who has been vegetarian since the '70s, i.e., "but that's what they're here for!" Oh well. I can't say I'm proud of it, but there it is.
This is precisely why I don't place the blame on individual meat eaters, as much as I am repulsed by the act itself. The cultural tradition of eating animals is so deeply ingrained, so normalised, that to question it never even occurs to most people-- not even kind, compassionate people who love (other) animals. My mother, for example, is a particularly empathetic and gentle woman who adores her pets, feeds strays, donates to the ASPCA, and feels compelled to cuddle and nurture any living thing she happens upon, but who loves eating McDonald's cheeseburgers. I've been trying to convince her to give up meat for over twenty years and it's only recently that she's expressed an interest in trying. It's hard for me to understand how she can eat meat without feeling sorry for the animals. I know my mother and I know that she would hate to see a dying cow, that she would be devastated if someone slit a pig's throat in front of her, yet the disconnect is THAT strong that she can happily eat a burger without a glimmer of remorse. Denial is powerful.

#15 ·
I have to disagree and say it's still welfarism/utilitarianism if it isn't abolition/rights. Saying you're an ARA while eating animals is like claiming you're a Christian and only worshipping Satan once a week. It just doesn't work. There's a great deal of overlap with rights and welfare, but they're fundamentally different. I understand that you believe you were an ARA, but if you were still eating them, you hadn't made the full connection (as you admit), and therefore, it stays in the realm of welfare. In your case, it sounds like utilitarianism.

A lot of people start as welfarists, joining the AR causes when they agree. Later, they see the light and move toward abolition.

Lastly, if someone's not full-on rights/abolition, they're welfarists.

#19 ·
I have to disagree and say it's still welfarism/utilitarianism if it isn't abolition/rights. Saying you're an ARA while eating animals is like claiming you're a Christian and only worshipping Satan once a week. It just doesn't work. There's a great deal of overlap with rights and welfare, but they're fundamentally different. I understand that you believe you were an ARA, but if you were still eating them, you hadn't made the full connection (as you admit), and therefore, it stays in the realm of welfare. In your case, it sounds like utilitarianism.
Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree. :) I was there. I remember some of the specific causes I was involved in, such as protesting against and boycotting L'Oreal over their insistence on testing on animals and using animal-based ingredients, or working toward shutting down various labs that were guilty of heinous cruelty to dogs, monkeys, cats, and other sentient beings--I STILL get upset thinking about some of the things I learned back then, like how dogs' vocal cords were severed so the 'people' tormenting them didn't have to listen to their cries.

This is precisely why I don't place the blame on individual meat eaters, as much as I am repulsed by the act itself. The cultural tradition of eating animals is so deeply ingrained, so normalised, that to question it never even occurs to most people-- not even kind, compassionate people who love (other) animals.
Thank you. That's very well said.

My mother, for example, is a particularly empathetic and gentle woman who adores her pets, feeds strays, donates to the ASPCA, and feels compelled to cuddle and nurture any living thing she happens upon, but who loves eating McDonald's cheeseburgers.
That's how my mom was, too. She would never DREAM of hurting an animal, but she had ZERO qualms about eating meat. She even told me that way back when, back in the days when the neighborhood butcher shop had live chickens that you'd go in and pick from, and then take it home and kill it yourself, she DID that. Her parents would send her to the butcher and she'd come home with a chicken, and they'd "wring its neck." Understand that when she was telling me this, she was in her late 80s and facing the end of her life, and although she'd been vegetarian for 7 years [since I moved back here], telling this story would bring her to tears. Even though it was 75+ years earlier that she participated in that activity, and even though she was a child at the time, and even though NO ONE gave a second thought to killing a chicken and having it for dinner back then, she felt HORRIBLE about it in present day. Kind of like how I wish I could turn the clock back and have gone veggie years before I actually did--I know I can't, but I feel awful about it anyway.

I've been trying to convince her to give up meat for over twenty years and it's only recently that she's expressed an interest in trying.
Hang in there! I started working on my mom back in the '80s, but it wasn't until 2006 that she took the plunge. So there's always hope! :D

It's hard for me to understand how she can eat meat without feeling sorry for the animals. I know my mother and I know that she would hate to see a dying cow, that she would be devastated if someone slit a pig's throat in front of her, yet the disconnect is THAT strong that she can happily eat a burger without a glimmer of remorse. Denial is powerful.
Exactly. And that was my point earlier. I most definitely WAS involved in animal rights, but simply hadn't gotten over that strong, lifelong, powerful, disconnect when it comes to animals used for meat. I knew about lab animals and the atrocities they were being subjected to; I knew about steel-jaw traps; I knew about the fur industry; but I didn't know, yet, that there's virtually no protection, no welfare oversight agency, NOTHING, to regulate what happens to animals raised for food. I assumed, this being the US and everything--and knowing that we have laws against animal cruelty when it comes to pet animals--that SOMEONE was actually overseeing the meat industry in terms of protecting the animals. I was wrong. As soon as I found out what's really involved in putting meat on the table, I was done.

#17 ·
You are right. I should gently try and convince those meat eaters to transition into vegetarians by showing them footage of animals being slaughtered. I personally strongly dislike animal lovers that eat meat than any other meat eater that knows where meat comes from and treat any other animals equally. They are being biased heavily by one group of animals than fodder (animals raised for food). Indeed, slaughterhouse factory footages did the transition for me.

Do most animal-loving meat eaters thinking that meat falls from the sky or disassembles itself from an animal once exposed to the dire effects of gravity?

I don't mind any meat eater that isn't informed and horrified with how meat comes into production; it's just those with who know where meat comes from, how animals suffer and abused but continue to eat meat and support animal welfare/claim to love animals.

It doesn't take a genius to realise this IS hypocrisy. I can't appreciate chickens, love them but eat them at the same time.

#26 ·
You are right. I should gently try and convince those meat eaters to transition into vegetarians by showing them footage of animals being slaughtered. I personally strongly dislike animal lovers that eat meat than any other meat eater that knows where meat comes from and treat any other animals equally. They are being biased heavily by one group of animals than fodder (animals raised for food). Indeed, slaughterhouse factory footages did the transition for me.
I believe that most people, if given the opportunity to watch some undercover videos of factory farms and slaughterhouses, would at least start THINKING about moving away from meat. I like to believe that people are inherently good, and that when given the opportunity to do the right thing, most will choose that path. If you can present some videos to meat eaters, but do it in a nonthreatening, non-obnoxious manner, they might be open-minded enough to actually absorb what they see and then think about it.

Do most animal-loving meat eaters thinking that meat falls from the sky or disassembles itself from an animal once exposed to the dire effects of gravity?
Great point! It amazes me how meat eaters who claim to love animals don't connect the dots when it comes to the slab of flesh in their refrigerator and the pets they love and take great care of. But, as noted elsewhere, I was guilty of that same crime. It takes education, because we're brought up to think of CERTAIN animal flesh as nothing more than another commodity, like corn or wheat or potato chips.

It doesn't take a genius to realise this IS hypocrisy. I can't appreciate chickens, love them but eat them at the same time.
Funny you should say that. One time my niece commented that she "loves chicken" and couldn't possibly give it up. I said, "well, no, you definitely DON'T love chickens, because if you did you wouldn't want them to suffer and be killed..." * look of shock on niece's face *

#20 ·
I don't hate meat eaters either. I mean yeah when I went vegan for ethical reasons I was shocked, angry and wanted to go on a crusade lol. But being a pacifist I calmed down eventually and though of other ways I could gently help animals and educate people without being that pushy snobby aggressive vegan that omnis hate so much and bash in every discussions.
I could say I pity omnis for being the victims of their culture and hope with all my heart that they open their eyes even just a little, even for meatless mondays you know. A small start is better then none. But I know that in this era of cheese and bacon things are changing fast and my hope is uplifted. The population is splitting (not equally mind you). Plant based diet is growing in popularity, I'm even happy that it's becoming a trend for some and a medical *cure* for others suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol and are following their doctor's recommendations. Heck some people eat meatless meals here and there for budget friendly meals. Some omnis started cooking some vegan desserts for a healthier option. Every bits help and amongst all those people, we're bound to find some that will transition to veganism when they realize the truth and slowly gain more empathy for the planet as a whole (I include people in that too, abuse towards animals is as bad as abuse towards humans).

So, PilotInCommand, have faith, things are changing, heck recycling has become the norm now for a lot of countries, who would have thought? And Sadrielle, don't feel bad, empathy is not felt in the same way by everyone. If it upsets you that you can't yet feel empathic towards farm animals that aren't close to you, maybe visiting a farm petting zoo could help with that connection. And if it never comes, no problem, a strict vegetarian/plant dieter will get tons of hugs too from the majority of vegans, your diet is awesome and we love you :)

#22 · (Edited)
PilotInCommand said:
You are right. I should gently try and convince those meat eaters to transition into vegetarians by showing them footage of animals being slaughtered.
I imagine the horrorstruck looks on somebody's face who believes vegetarianism is just some crazy agenda after hearing you say that.

"You're right... I SHOULD try to convince heathens that Islam is the one true religion by bombing their airports."

PilotInCommand said:
No, they've just played too much Cruis'n World.

Fun game.

Marjoram said:
That should be a signature quote. I absolutely love bats,
Done and here ya go:

#29 · (Edited)
There is no harm in educating. Like you have all said, those hypocrites possess good potential of becoming vegetarians themselves. I, myself, did know that meat comes from slaughtered animals, but I did not know that death could be so excruciating and painful. I remembered my mom slicing chicken for our dinner, and saw my mom tearing apart the ribs and legs. I realized how disgusting and cruel that was. I know that the chicken was dead, but to have a body torn in such a disrespectful way and bones tossed into the bin, and go on as if the animal never existed in the first place, was disgusting. These are sentient beings. The same goes for all animals reared for food. It is cruel either ways, whether humanely slaughtered or not, because animals of course, die without consent. It is unnecessary to put so much suffering on the dinner table just to have one meal. Sowing a rice field farmed is so much more eco-friendly and could feed thousands of people. Farming meat causes greenhouse gas emissions and can only feed hundreds of people.

I try and educate people where meat comes from, and question if they were comfortable with the aspect that the "meat" was once female/male, had a mother/father and was a cute, intelligent and friendly creature. I don't think many people are comfortable with that aspect, since many people hate seeing the animal's head on their plates. Showing them footages of cruelty can open their eyes to how cruel humans can be, and greedy. And the saying "if slaughterhouse factories had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian" is very true. People cannot be immune to any of this knowledge and not know where meat comes from. If we don't educate and show them how animals become processed food, it is equivalent to pulling a woolen blanket over their eyes.

#30 ·
I, myself, did know that meat comes from slaughtered animals, but I did not know that death could be so excruciating and painful. I remembered my mom slicing chicken for our dinner, and saw my mom tearing apart the ribs and legs. I realized how disgusting and cruel that was. I know that the chicken was dead, but to have a body torn in such a disrespectful way and bones tossed into the bin, and go on as if the animal never existed in the first place, was disgusting.
Honestly, I'm GLAD I didn't think it out like that when I was a child. That's because I know, unequivocally, that if I had wanted to eschew meat back then I wouldn't have been allowed to. That's just how it was. So I'm glad I didn't make the connection...or I would've had a horrible, miserable time dealing with having to eat something I now realized was once not very different from my pets.

These are sentient beings.
I try and educate people where meat comes from, and question if they were comfortable with the aspect that the "meat" was once female/male, had a mother/father and was a cute, intelligent and friendly creature.
Because of where I live, in Arcadia, California, I'm blessed with the daily presence of the most beautiful birds on earth, peacocks (actually, peafowl, as only the males are called peacocks). They live in and roam our neighborhoods, and are daily visitors in my yard. Right now we're seeing the results of spring's mating season, i.e., sweet, cute, cuddly chicks wandering the neighborhood with their moms. EVERY SINGLE TIME a meat-eating visitor is at my house and they comment on how cute the chicks are, or how sweet it is to see the moms interacting with their children, I seize the opportunity to interject that chickens, turkeys, pigs, cows, sheep, etc., would ALSO share sweet moments like that if only they were allowed to. I say that there's no difference between the cute little peafowl chicks and baby chickens, except that we--meaning our society--have deemed the former 'cute' animals and the latter 'food' animals.

I posted an entry in my blog some time ago, but if anyone wants to take a look, please do. It's about the arrival of babies and has lots of pics, but it also has my thoughts on cute vs food animals. :D Here's its link: Baby Peacocks in my Yard.

Showing them footages of cruelty can open their eyes to how cruel humans can be, and greedy. And the saying "if slaughterhouse factories had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian" is very true. People cannot be immune to any of this knowledge and not know where meat comes from. If we don't educate and show them how animals become processed food, it is equivalent to pulling a woolen blanket over their eyes.
Nicely said.

#39 ·
Did you have the benefit of someone criticizing you? If not, then no.

no whey jose said:
This morning I told her what happens to cows and chickens in the dairy and egg industry and when I mentioned baby chicks being thrown into a meat grinder, she began to cry and told me to stop because I was upsetting her.
HahahahahhahahahahahhhNO.

no whey jose said:
I asked what was upsetting, the chicks being killed or my telling her about it, and she said that she just wants to not think about it and keep happily eating eggs.
*facepalm*

no whey jose said:
I asked why and she said "I like the taste." I asked if the taste was worth paying for something that makes her cry
Excellent question!

no whey jose said:
and she said no,
Alright! Now we can add another vegan to the team!

no whey jose said:
and then she said that there is no explanation for why people eat these things even when they would hate to hurt animals, so she can't possibly explain it to me.

#38 ·
My mom is visiting us this week. Last night we were ordering Indian food and she wanted a chicken dish. I asked her why she wasn't ordering a vegetarian dish since she's expressed a desire to stop eating animals and her excuses were ridiculous: "I haven't eaten in a while, I need to eat something that will fit in (?), I don't know if I'll like Indian food so I have to order something that I know I like." I suggested she do that with potatoes rather than chicken and she didn't have a response. This morning I told her what happens to cows and chickens in the dairy and egg industry and when I mentioned baby chicks being thrown into a meat grinder, she began to cry and told me to stop because I was upsetting her. I asked what was upsetting, the chicks being killed or my telling her about it, and she said that she just wants to not think about it and keep happily eating eggs. I asked why and she said "I like the taste." I asked if the taste was worth paying for something that makes her cry and she said no, and then she said that there is no explanation for why people eat these things even when they would hate to hurt animals, so she can't possibly explain it to me. The whole conversation was incredibly frustrating. Sometimes I just want to shake her and say "Order the potatoes, for f**k's sake! It's that easy!"

#42 ·
What you're describing with your mom is *SO* similar to what I went through with my mom back in the '80s. I was at my most militant back then when it comes to animals, and I didn't hesitate to put things in their most explicit, awful terms. My mom would react by...I don't even know how to word it! It was like she'd dissociate and totally disconnect; she'd get angry and tell me to stop harassing her; it never ended nicely. *shrug* Fast forward to 2006. Both she and I had mellowed a lot. :) She knew that I was vegetarian, and she had actually used up all meat products before I got here. The house has been vegetarian ever since (with a couple of exceptions). She literally made the change overnight. Oh, sure, there were times she'd say something like, "I'd love a nice hamburger right now!" and I'd roll my eyes like a petulant teenager, and launch into one of my analogies, like "why don't we slaughter one of your cats, butcher them, grind them up, and fry up some nice burgers?!" Problem solved. :D

Hang in there. REALLY. Hang in there. You need to trust that what you're saying to your mother is sinking in. That's what happened in my case. It didn't LOOK like anything was happening, for a long time, but she actually absorbed what I said over the years, and she saw the way I lived and what kind of [yummy!] food I ate, etc., and when the time was right it all came together. Look, my mother was 82 by the time she turned vegetarian. As long as they're still alive, there's still hope they'll see the light. I know it's frustrating...believe me...I know! But give it time.

#40 ·
My mom has the same mentallity. She did reduced a LOT her meat intake but is not ready to dive in. Her best excuse? "I'm too old to change how I eat".... what the heck age has to do with eating meat or not? Yeah, they will find ANY excuses to not stop eating it, they prefer to refuse to watch the videos and listen to facts and try hard to forget what you are saying. Aaaand that is why years after I went vegan my parents sometimes suddenly get concerned about my proteins and nutrients. They forget what I say as soon as I tell them. Total mastered denial.

#41 ·
I see the same thing here with newbies: "Where do I get my protein?" So, how did the cow get its protein. How did the horse, or elephant get its protein. Is it somehow magically that a body can grow without something that another bodies needs (and yes, I understand that animals may have different requirements than others) It was not drinking milk as an adult. How are those cow's bones so strong. Why are human bones weak? It isn't because of eating vegetables. People were not meant to shatter their bones doing some mundane task.

People freak out when they consider that you can get all of your body's requirements through vegetables. "It's impossible, you have to eat meat or you will die!"

It's all cultural Why else do you think that Omnivores will not eat low fat protein insects and grubs either. Not that I believe they deserve ill treatment either, but I feel if you want to eat meat, you should eat insects, grubs, worms. They are all around, they are easy to farm and they do not screw up the environment. So, Why not?

#45 ·
Gita said:
"Where do I get my protein?"
Got this one last week. Ironically I had just recently read a post by Tiger Lily referring to a book called "But You Kill Ants". I looked it up, contacted the author, and got a copy shipped to me from Australia.

I said, "You know it's funny, I just got this book which offers shorthand answers to 100 of the most common questions leveled at veganism. Guess what the first question is?"

Marjoram said:
"I'm too old to change how I eat"
...I have... no answer.

I can't think of anything... my mind is just...

#46 ·
Did any one face palm when they played "Farm Frenzy"? You can raise animals there, just like getting eggs from chickens and milk from cows. When you get to the pig, it will drop off a piece of bacon without harm and continues to move and happily eat grass as if nothing happened! Probably it's what those omnivorous hypocrites think ;) animals frolicking happily around all the while dropping pieces of bacon everywhere.

#47 ·
Did any one face palm when they played "Farm Frenzy"? You can raise animals there, just like getting eggs from chickens and milk from cows. When you get to the pig, it will drop off a piece of bacon without harm and continues to move and happily eat grass as if nothing happened!
Oh, are we talkin' about games now? Cool. Here's some nifty veg*n-related stuff in games I play:

MINECRAFT
Minecraft is designed to be a survival game. On your first day you'll be moving quick to find a good spot to roost, but it will consume your stamina quickly. Once you run out of stamina you can't run and your health drains until one hit, you're dead.

The only way to regenerate health is to eat and the easiest way to do so it to beat a sheep, cow, or pig to death and eat it. The best alternatives are either to get lucky and find an apple tree which MIGHT give you Apples, or to beat up enough grass to plant Wheat and then wait long enough to begin starving before you can harvest grain from it which you can then bake into Bread.

If that proves too difficult, you're one hit away from death and if you die you respawn ALL THE WAY back to your respawn point, usually far away from your shelter and any of the items you dropped when you die (which is everything you're carrying). What you're SUPPOSED to do is make a bed and sleep in it, which sets your respawn point at the bed. However the only way to make a bed is out of Blocks of Wool.

The fastest way to collect Blocks of Wool is to murder sheep.

The most efficient way to collect Wool is to make Shears and cut Wool off of sheep, however Shears require Iron and Iron is a finite resource you'll likely only find after committing to a serious mineshaft.

The most ETHICAL way to collect Wool is to survive long enough for Spiders to spawn and attack you. If you kill Spiders they have a 66% chance of dropping at least 1 String. 4 String make a Block of Wool and you need 3 Wool to make a bed. That means you need to kill approximately 20 Spiders to make a Bed and just one Spider can easily sneak up and murder you.

It's a severe handicap, but this how I always play Minecraft.

THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM
Skyrim has many modes of travel, but one of the most ideal is to ride by horse. It allows you to experience dynamic events in the world that you'd miss if you fast travel, but at a faster pace than running. There're also paid horse-drawn carriage rides for more roleplay-esque travel.

I never hire them though, I pretty much always join the Companions and turn into a Werewolf which allows me to sprint faster than any horse. It also lets me run straight up to the stableowners and carriage drivers and eat them. Actually, I make a point of murdering every non-vegan I can find in Skyrim.

"I've been hunting and fishing in these parts for years!" *stock dialog*

*unsheathes battleaxe*

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME
Zelda games are rarely vegan by any stretch, from riding Epona, to capturing wild fairies in jars, to collecting frog eyeballs, to eating ghosts. However anyone here who hasn't played Ocarina of Time should know that this game, commonly considered to be the greatest game of all time, features what is perhaps the most glorious karmic backlash ever seen from barnyard animals.

Cuckoos are the common name for chickens in the game. And they are invincible. If you slash them with your sword they will shriek and run away. At this point particularly vindictive players learned the hard way what happens when you abuse an animal. If you strike any Cuckoo three times, it will call for it's brethren which will swarm the screen and descend upon Link to murder his ass. There's no killing them or stopping them. The only solution is to run away.

This karmic backlash is almost as notorious as Link's Awakening shopkeeper, who if you walk into his store, take something and then leave without paying, then revisit later, he will make Link eat ball lightning. Instant death. No saving throws. Game over.

THE SIMS 3
The Sims 3 introduces a new mechanic called traits which basically give your Sims personality quirks. One of them is Vegetarian. Being Vegetarian allows Sims to cook special vegetarian meals with the Cooking skill. That Sim can also complain about meat to other Sims while other Sims can either applaud or mock their vegetarianism.

They can mock all they want however since even though Vegetarian Sims get sick from eating meat, they actually live longer than other Sims.

ANY VIVA PINATA GAME EVER
Perhaps one of the most bizarre and disturbing games when you think about it. Everyone's a pinata. You're a gardener. You "win" the game by creating a garden that attracts the most pinatas. That seems simple enough, but you realize the only way to get the most out of the game is to breed the pinatas.
And the only way to breed the pinatas is to make them horny.
And the often the only way to make them horny is to smack 'em around or make them eat each other.
But you don't know which pinatas they like to eat, so it's trial and error.
And even if they lay an egg, it'll only hatch if you hit it.
And if you hit it wrong, you might kill the baby inside.
WHAT AM I PLAYING!?

ANY HARVEST MOON GAME EVER
**** Harvest Moon. Seriously. The whole point of the game is to slowly and meticulously, day by day, raise a farm, plants, animals, and all, so you can raise enough money to woo one of the stereotypically dateable girls in town, have sex with her, make a baby and then quit playing because there's nothing else to do.

I'll admit the plant-a-seed-and-watch-it-grow game mechanics were interesting and I really liked the idea of building a farm from the ground up with every day offering new events and changes to the game world, but no, I can't look at this game fondly anymore, it's just stupid.

ANY POKEMON GAME EVER
Non-humans are Pokemon. You're a Pokemon trainer! Catch them all and make them fight until they faint! Yay! Pokemon is the friggen' weird video game poster boy for welfarism, saying "catch 'em all to become a Pokemon Master!" in the same breath as "Pokemon and us share a special bond, Pokemon are our friends!" and likewise if you've heard anything from PETA in the past few years, you might know they went after Pokemon and actually created their own ripoff Pokemon game in which you play the Pokemon, broken and abused, as they violently rebel against their trainers.

A lot of people made fun of it, but it was strangely appropriate considering how much slack-jawed stupidity goes into and comes out of the Pokemon series.

ANY DRAGON QUEST: MONSTERS GAME EVER
The significantly less popular Pokemon game. Dragon Quest: Monsters is also a monster collection game, but they immediately make a FIRM distinction between themselves and Pokemon:

You don't CAPTURE monsters. You SCOUT them. In Pokemon the goal is to beat and batter every Pokemon down until it's near death and then capture it when it can barely resist. In DQM, if you want a monster on your team, you don't hurt it, you scout it by performing your single strongest non-damaging attack in an attempt to impress them. If they like you, they'll join you. It's completely consensual. It's also a hell of a lot harder in DQM.

You also don't BREED monsters. You SYNTHESIZE them. It seems a minor distinction, but I prefer DQM's approach. In Pokemon, you leave two Pokemon together in a Daycare Center in attempt for them to have sex and lay eggs for you which can hatch into another Pokemon for you to subjugate. In DQM, you're literally combining two monsters into a bigger, cooler one, usually one obviously higher on the food chain than you. And unlike Pokemon, you're rewarded for taking care of the monsters you have with you.

EVERY ASSASSIN'S CREED GAME EVER
I must be the only one who notices, but the Assassins are total dicks to horses.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Opening: Ezio slices a horse's front legs with his rapier.

Assassin's Creed 3 Opening: Connor rides a horse directly into a hailstorm of English musket fire.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Opening: Jacob whips and drowns two horses in a river.

#52 ·
I played Harvest Moon. There was no meat produced, of course except fish. I would imagine that a lot of hypocrites play this game. They said that any meat production would ruin the innocence of the game. Ironically, this game harvests a lot of these hypocritical "animal lovers".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.