Vegans, do you get sick if you *accidentally* eat dairy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Beginner

I've recently become vegan in Feb/2004 and every once in a while I *slip up* and take a couple of ice cream or cheese. I know I shouldn't do it, but I am weak! Usually after eating the stuff I either barf or spend 5 hours in the bathroom. Does anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Beginner

sorry i'm not vegan yet

but i just wanted to share something:

i feel exteremly guilty when i do eat dairy or something with eggs in it ... and dairy doesn't really taste good to me anymore, but no i don't get sick from it

maybe you're just lactose intolerant ? did that ever happen to you before ?
#3 Old 07-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Beginner

I don't get nauseous. It's more of an, "Oh, man!!" reaction. For example, I was eating a pasta salad right after I turned veg, and I thought it was just spinach, pasta, and tomatoes. Well, I'm eating and I think, "Damn, these tomatoes have a kinda "leathery" texture. I look more closely and I find that there's another ingredient in my salad: bacon. I gave it to the dog.

The Rev
#4 Old 07-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Beginner

The Rev, you just made me confess

i feel so bad it's hard to talk about it, but i did let a vegetarian eat a salad with bacon in it one time. it was right before i turned vegetarian, i made a really good potato salad ( a huge bowl ... it wasn't big it was huge ) and there was about 3 strips of bacon in there. which is very very little for that big of a bowl, you couldn't taste it at all, but i did let a vegetarian eat it ( since there was nothing else that didn't have meat in it around there )

anyway, i just feel bad about doing that, but on the other hand i knew he needed to eat something

uhh someone just tell me to shut up
#5 Old 07-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Beginner

I never had a problem with lactose when I was omni (as far as I know). I thought this happened to everybody who was vegan! Gees, now I feel really weird. I might as well stand in the bathroom if I am going to eat dairy because it is almost an instantaneous reaction. My son gets really sick off of dairy too, but he has the opposite reaction.
#6 Old 07-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Beginner

No, I don't, but I haven't been as strict about my veganism as many others are. Also, for some people, emotional distress (feeling guilty) can lead to feelings of sickness as well.
#7 Old 07-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[MiA View Post

]The Rev, you just made me confess

i feel so bad it's hard to talk about it, but i did let a vegetarian eat a salad with bacon in it one time. it was right before i turned vegetarian, i made a really good potato salad ( a huge bowl ... it wasn't big it was huge ) and there was about 3 strips of bacon in there. which is very very little for that big of a bowl, you couldn't taste it at all, but i did let a vegetarian eat it ( since there was nothing else that didn't have meat in it around there )

anyway, i just feel bad about doing that, but on the other hand i knew he needed to eat something

uhh someone just tell me to shut up

Yeah, but you got really messed up on Vincent's heroin, and had to take a needle to the heart, so I figure your karma is better than breaking even.

The Rev
#8 Old 07-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Beginner

#9 Old 07-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Beginner

I do get sick, but I've been allergic (not lactose intolerant) to dairy my whole life. And so I don't really count.
#10 Old 07-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Beginner

I haven't had dairy since becoming vegan. But, I did have some tri-color pasta that I wasn't sure was vegan or not, however the tri-color ones usually are vegan. I felt so guilty that I ended up getting a nervous tummy.

But, I do feel much LESS sick after becoming vegan because I always had a negative reaction to dairy in the first place.
#11 Old 07-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckThatWasn't View Post

I do get sick, but I've been allergic (not lactose intolerant) to dairy my whole life. And so I don't really count.

My little cousins are deathly allergic to dairy too and have been their entire lives. They can't even touch it.
#12 Old 07-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Beginner

Now that you say it....

I bought caffeine pills that have lactose coating (from milk). I gave in because it was the only kind I could find at that time where I was. Maybe I was just desperate. I take them and I thought I was hypersensitive to caffeine or allergic because I get incredibly sick everytime I take only ONE, letalone two. Sometimes to the point that I am nauseous all day to the point that I want to cry, then I throw up and dry heave for 5 minutes.

I didn't think that the lactose could give me a reaction like that until last night. I was at a friends house and I asked if she had some because I couldn't sleep the night before and I didn't want to sleep at that point. As far as I know all the other inactive ingredients are the same except for the lactose. When I took hers I had no problem at all. It felt like I hadn't taken it. I was so confused. How could simple lactose have me throwing up??
#13 Old 07-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Beginner

Warning: TMI potential

I'm not vegan but I haven't been eating dairy for awhile. Last night I had pizza with cheese on it, and a few minutes later got the worst bowel cramps... I pooped out everything that was in me in two painful sessions. Learned my lesson!
#14 Old 07-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Beginner

I eat lots of raw, so I haven't ate dairy in a while, but I remember the last time was when I ate some noodles that were made with egg (which I didn't find out until later). It upset my stomach.. got really bad cramps and then it just all kind of came out.. and NOT like this: ya.. no fun.
#15 Old 07-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Beginner

I slipped up by not reading the label to what I thought was just juice and got really bad stomach and bowel cramps. I didn't mind though, it tought me to be more careful.
#16 Old 07-18-2004, 05:41 AM
Beginner

People that don't eat dairy (e.g. different indigenous tribes) also lack the ability to digest it. I believe having read somewhere that you lose the ability to digest dairy (lactose or casein - don't remember which) properly if you abstain from eating it for extended periods.

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#17 Old 07-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Beginner

I was eating a subway veggie sandwhich a couple months ago, later i found out that there were some slices of cheese in it (i didn't even notice until i opened up the sandwhich once to stick some of the tomato and junk that fell out of it back in). anyway, i took the piece that was left out, threw it away, and finished the rest of the sandwhich. I didn't feel bad either emotionally or physically. I knew there wasn't supposed to be any cheese on the sandwich, so i had nothing to feel guilty about, and I didn't get sick or anything.
#18 Old 07-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Beginner

^^^ agreed

I still occasionally lust for the taste of cheese. After my last experience however (similar to those above), I think I may finally have the image I need to serve as a deterrent in the future.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#19 Old 07-18-2004, 06:54 AM
Beginner

I've been tempted twice while vegan to consume dairy....I don't know why though. Soymilk is soooooo much better.......I didn't get sick, but I did get sick with myself....
#20 Old 07-18-2004, 09:44 AM
Beginner

my body doesnt handle lactose too well.

so you can just imagine
#21 Old 07-18-2004, 09:49 AM
Beginner

we had a big cookout at work other day, they had veggie burgers and so forth but I wouldnt eat them because I didnt want to ask them for the package to read the contents. I had a bun, white bun and lettuce with tomatoes and onions.

also a cup of sprite.

dedication!
#22 Old 07-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Beginner

Mia, if you feel bad about a food and don't like it, why not stop eating it? Sounds like it wouldn't be to hard. I'm not pressing, just curious.

And as for getting sick with dairy I usually do since I am lactose intolerant as well as intolerant for other things also
#23 Old 07-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Beginner

I haven't eaten dairy since going vegan, so I really wouldn't know.
#24 Old 07-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Banned

It depends on how much for me. Pizzas with cheese give me some problems.
#25 Old 07-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Beginner

My daughter is lactose intolerant she (throws up 5 min after eating anything with dairy). I didnt think I was until I ate something that had alittle cheese on it and i was on the potty for awhile. So I think I may be intolerant too. I dont puke though.
#26 Old 07-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Beginner

Oh, and when we went to the fair, They had a stand that sold deep fried veggies, and I was so happy to find something at a FAIR that wasnt full of sugar or meat (I dont mind the fat heehee) that i bought some right away and didnt realize that it contained egg and milk for the batter until alexis threw up. I felt horrible cuz she still felt bad afterwards so we had to go home. At least she was able to ride a couple of rides before her dumb mom fed her.
#27 Old 07-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Beginner

I've had horrible stomach problems since I was 16 or so. Been on tons of different meds for it for the next 16 years. If I ever forgot to take it...I'd pay with pain and trips to the bathroom. Then when I went vegan, I didn't realize that the problem was fixed until I forgot my meds and nothing bad happened. Finally I determined that dairy=problems and I do have probs if I accidentally have it.
#28 Old 07-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[MiA View Post

]

Sorry.

The Rev
#29 Old 07-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Beginner

nope i have never got ill but i havent really consumed enough of it to make me ill but even so it has no effect on me although i kinda wish it did
#30 Old 07-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Beginner

My stomach is pretty sensitive, but it seems to be independent of what I eat. I can't tell if I accidently eat an animal product, physically or emotionally really.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page