non sweatshop vegan sneakers that don't suck? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-06-2004, 07:21 PM
ae5

this is a dumb question because i actually know of tons of vegan shoes, like the asics i'm currently wearing which are falling apart on me so i kind of need to buy some new shoes.

thing is i know asics and nike's are sweatshop made and in the past i honestly didn't give a **** as long as they were vegan but now i'm i guess developing a concience and am pretty opposed to sweatshop labor and would rather buy some non-sweatshop shoes

does anyone know if es shoes are sweatshop made? or know any non-crappy non-sweatshop made vegan sneakers that won't fall apart on me too quick?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2004, 07:31 PM

New Balance shoes are fantastic and they're made in the U.S. I also like Saucony shoes.
#3 Old 07-06-2004, 07:32 PM
ae5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

New Balance shoes are fantastic and they're made in the U.S. I also like Saucony shoes.

i knew new balance WERE made in the u.s. (my uncle actually used to make them here) but i thought they had since become sweatshop shoes (they closed down their manufacturing here i know)
#4 Old 07-06-2004, 07:38 PM

I just wear flip-flops!
#5 Old 07-06-2004, 07:40 PM
ae5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeshaldis View Post

I just wear flip-flops!

i can't stand flip flops
#6 Old 07-06-2004, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae5 View Post

i knew new balance WERE made in the u.s. (my uncle actually used to make them here) but i thought they had since become sweatshop shoes (they closed down their manufacturing here i know)

I had no idea!!! That really sucks! You can read about how they have shops in China here: http://cbae.nmsu.edu/~dboje/AA/acade...ew_balance.htm

As far as I can tell, Saucony appears to be ethically better. Some of their shoes are made overseas, but I couldn't find anything that implied that they were made in sweatshops (I did find a site that said that Pangea claims that they are not made in a sweatshop-though I don't know how long ago they said that).
#7 Old 07-07-2004, 01:06 AM

Quote:

Some New Balance are made in the US and some are not-usually China, you have to check the labels.
#8 Old 07-07-2004, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nfrog View Post

Some New Balance are made in the US and some are not-usually China, you have to check the labels.

It was my understanding (from looking at different sites) that they found some loophole that allows them to put "Made in USA" on all of the sneakers...I hope that I'm wrong...
#9 Old 07-07-2004, 01:57 PM
ae5

i'd probably rather get shoes made by a non-huge multinational corporation this time if i can get away with it.
#10 Old 07-07-2004, 02:10 PM

These companies don't use sweatshop labor.

I think it's great you started caring about this.
#11 Old 07-07-2004, 04:16 PM

Rats. Rats. I JUST bought a pair of Asics today, and they actually fit. It's the first new pair of shoes I've bought in almost 5 years. I have an incredibly hard time finding shoes that fit. I knew I had to avoid Nike and Adidas, so I was really happy when I found these...I looked at a few pairs of New Balance, but none of them said what they were made of, other than "imported materials" (like that helps!). A lot of them looked like they were leather though.
#12 Old 07-07-2004, 04:31 PM

check out otsu (veganmart.com). i have a pair of vegan wares from them (they look like bowling shoes) which are really great and made by hand by vegans in australia. they're pricey (i think around $120) but can be re-soled and are super durable. i'm sure i'll have them forever. totally worth it to know they're vegan and weren't sweatshopped.

i also have two pairs of vegetarian shoes (that's the company) that are great too and aren't sweatshopped.

my understanding of the new balance thing is that they were made in the us but had to send some stuff overseas to stay competitive on price. but even the ones that say "made in usa" don't have to TOTALLY be made in the US, just a certain percentage. meaning they can have the soles made in china, then assemble it all in the us and call it made in the usa. i haven't checked on that stuff in a while, but the info is out there. sweatshop watch is a site i think.

good luck! the sweatshop issue is important.
#13 Old 07-07-2004, 04:39 PM

I want plain canvas sneakers that DO NOT look like Converse All Stars. I wish I could find a canvas alternative to these leather S Carter sneakers:

http://store.reebok.com/product/inde...entPage=family

Look at how nice those look, and then compare those to how ugly Converse All Stars look. If anyone knows of some canvas sneakers that are patterned after the style of sneakers that I provided a link too, let me know. I don't care what brand they are.

People and/or companies who make vegan shoes need to have a better sense of style.

Just because we are vegan, doesn't mean we like ugly clothes and accessories.
#14 Old 07-07-2004, 04:41 PM

Converse All Stars do not look ugly.
#15 Old 07-07-2004, 05:35 PM

I found something by converse that isn't too ugly; the Jack Purcell canvas sneakers:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/495770/c/720.html
#16 Old 07-07-2004, 06:00 PM

i have these: http://veganmart.com/img/assets/shop/598.jpg

and i wear them everyday. i don't actually take them off much, they are really comfortable.
#17 Old 07-07-2004, 07:44 PM
ae5

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post

i have these: http://veganmart.com/img/assets/shop/598.jpg

and i wear them everyday. i don't actually take them off much, they are really comfortable.

those just remind me of that skit the state did about russians loving "free market economy" where they're talking about "adidos" sneakers which are adidas knockoffs but have 4 stripes instead of 3 and they're arguing that "for less money you get EXTRA STRIPE! I LOVE FREE MARKET ECONOMY!"
#18 Old 07-08-2004, 01:00 AM

theres talk of Adbusters actually selling sneakers, that would be definitely earth happy and with pictures of the factory posted on their website, they will be available sometime in September. This should be interesting..

Yeah and i dont think converse are ugly.. I have a pair. ~Tori
#19 Old 07-20-2004, 01:47 PM

Too bad Converse was bought by Nike last year.
#20 Old 07-20-2004, 08:20 PM

Does Birkenstock use sweat shops? I never thought to look into such things... (bad me). Anyway, I've got some nice Birkie's from Pangea that I wear about a lot.

Also, I got a pair of hemp sneakers I'm in love with. Let me see if I can find the website.... Are you into hemp?
#21 Old 07-21-2004, 12:23 PM

I wish everyone would use hemp. It's so excellent. Grows fast, it's strong. But you know how the US gov't is about advancing useful items in society.

Converse and Pro Keds used to me USA made, but alas, they've been outsourced.

I have a pair of USA made Converse left over from "before the demise".

I'm not really sure what's made here anymore...You could go to a shoe store and look around at the canvas shoe section and check the label, I suppose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page