John Frieda - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2004, 06:11 PM

Does anybody know if John Frieda's products are tested on animals? I did a search on VB but couldn't find anything about it. I didn't find it on PETA's lists of companies that test and don't test either.

I would like to try John Frieda's Frizz Ease because the humidity in Missouri is making my hair look crazy!!

Thanks!

Ally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2004, 06:13 PM

No idea, but if you write to the company, somebody will tell you.
#3 Old 06-29-2004, 06:16 PM

And please post any response you get! I loved frizz-ease and gave it up when i became vegan without even asking the company!

#4 Old 06-29-2004, 06:49 PM

I wrote and asked them twice already and nobody responded, which made me think they might test and they just don't want to say it!

JulieShul, I take it by your comment that Frizz Ease is freakin' good, do you have curly untamable hair too?
#5 Old 06-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Kiz

Frizz Ease is fantastic! Other companies have begun to bring out almost identical products though.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#6 Old 06-29-2004, 08:35 PM

i like frizz ease too. They make an extra strength kind that worked great with my hair.
#7 Old 06-30-2004, 05:07 AM

Shag - Believe it or not, I have to use that, too. I use the extra strength shampoo and conditioner, also. Otherwise, I could end up with a big blonde afro in this near 100% humidity. Ack.

On the About Us page on the site, it says, "Part of the Andrew Jergens Company (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kao Corporation of Japan) John Frieda's global technology and research resources are unrivalled." Neither Kao or Jergens are on the PETA lists, either.
#8 Old 06-30-2004, 06:59 AM

Giovanni has a frizz-ease type of product now, made with similiar ingredients. All of their products are vegan and cruelty free. Frieda may be vegan too, I don't know.

http://www.giovannicosmetics.com/WLi...rizzbegone.php
#9 Old 06-30-2004, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

Shag - Believe it or not, I have to use that, too. I use the extra strength shampoo and conditioner, also. Otherwise, I could end up with a big blonde afro in this near 100% humidity

I just imagined you with an afro. I remember there bieng some other brands available but they never worked as well as frizzease.
#10 Old 06-30-2004, 09:23 AM

I use the Giovanni stuff that missleigh mentioned all of the time. It works great, actually much better than all of the maistream products I've used in the past. All of their stuff is vegan, straight up.
#11 Old 06-30-2004, 09:26 AM

is it available at retail stores? If so, I'll try it.
#12 Old 06-30-2004, 09:59 AM

I love the Giovanni anti-frizz stuff too. I use it on my hair after I dry it just to smooth it out and tame flyaways. I ordered it from Vegan Unlimited. My only problem with it is that it has a perfumey scent that I'm a bit allergic to - I wish they'd make stuff like that unscented.

I suspect that John Freida does test on animals, since they don't seem willing to give an answer one way or the other. Most companies that don't support animal testing are happy to tell you so. I only have on John Freida product, this texturizing spray stuff. Actually I really like it, but I won't be buying anything from them again.
#13 Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 AM

Aveda makes an anti-humectants in their "Brilliance" line that works great for fly-aways.
#14 Old 06-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_sprite View Post

Aveda makes an anti-humectants in their "Brilliance" line that works great for fly-aways.

You took the words out of my mouth! Aveda makes an excellent pomade.
#15 Old 06-30-2004, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

is it available at retail stores? If so, I'll try it.

Many health food stores carry Giovanni.
#16 Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 PM

Shagginabit, I got the Giovanni stuff from Wild Oats. It has lasted me quite a while and I believe I paid about $6 for it (in SoCal).

I've tried the Aveda Brilliance stuff as well. It's a cream, not a clear serum. It's good for taming the wispy bits you get on the top of your head, but not as good for dry or split ends. The cream also smells very badly, rather medicinal and it lingers. It too is long lasting and reasonably priced though.
#17 Old 06-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missleigh View Post

Many health food stores carry Giovanni.

Which ones, the usual around here? I typed in several zip codes on that site with no luck. I may go to a salon near here that I'm told sells Aveda. I'm preparing for sticker shock.
#18 Old 06-30-2004, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the tips!

I emailed peta asking them about John Frieda, since it says on their website that they reserve the right to choose which companies are included on their list. It sure seems like they do test, since they won't respond.

Does anybody else have problems with Giovanni's smell? Cause I'm terribly sensitive to strong scents.
#19 Old 07-01-2004, 08:16 PM

It's wierd they haven't responded to you guys. I emailed the company last week and they responded the next morning. I was impressed, since it was my first time emailing a company and I thought they might ignore me.This was the email:

Quote:
We do not animal test and we cannot guarantee that at any time our ingredients are not animal as the sources used by our suppliers can change due to market demand. I attached the list anyway in case you still wanted it

She attached a list of ingredients for the Brilliant Brunette Finishing Creme, which I had asked about specifically. There are some possible animal ingredients there, according to the Peta list, so I'm not using it.
#20 Old 07-01-2004, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

Which ones, the usual around here? I typed in several zip codes on that site with no luck. I may go to a salon near here that I'm told sells Aveda. I'm preparing for sticker shock.

Life, my store, Whole Foods, the usuals. I'll pick some up for you if ya want.
#21 Old 07-02-2004, 04:35 AM

Thanks AnaBanana! I don't know why they didn't answer my email, but I'm glad they don't test. I wish the Brilliant Brunette didn't have any animal ingredients I would have liked to try that too. Oh well.

By the way, your avatar is so cute!!
#22 Old 07-06-2004, 05:06 PM

Peta responded today and this is what they said about John Frieda...

John Frieda claims in form response letters that it does not test its products on animals. On several occasions, we gave the company an opportunity to sign our cruelty-free statement of assurance (this must be done before we can add it to our lists). Unfortunately, John Frieda has never responded to our requests.

Recently, the company was purchased by the Kao Corporation, which is based in Japan. Animal testing of new ingredients is required in Japan, which further complicates the status of John Frieda. We have recently decided that cruelty-free subsidiaries of companies that have not eliminated animal testing will be given the opportunity to sign on to our statement of assurance. However, given the lack of response from John Frieda, it seems unlikely that it will be making an appearance on our cruelty-free lists.
#23 Old 06-27-2005, 09:45 PM

Hi,

I just found this website that claims John Frieda does NOT test on animals!

Joanne
#24 Old 06-27-2005, 09:49 PM

Oops--forgot to paste this on my last comment. Here is a link to a website stating John Frieda does NOT test on animals!
#25 Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 PM

I'm sorry--it's not allowing me to add the link.
#26 Old 06-27-2008, 12:57 PM

Yes, John Freida tests on animals. I've contacted them about this before because I love their color safe shampoo and conditioners. The answer was very vague. "We abide by federal regulations" etc. Federal regulations don't mandate that they can't test, so of course they're following guidelines. If a company does not test on animals, it will be proud to tell you; however, a circuitous answer lets you know otherwise.

Also be aware of "We do not test our finished product on animals." All that means is that the final product is not tested, but that some or all of the raw ingredients have been. Please don't support such places. Johnson & Johnson, Proctor & Gamble and some of the other big guys all test. Suave and Dove use animals...

Check this link for cruelty-free companies:

http://www.idausa.org/facts/crueltyfree.html#cf1_1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page