Mucus Worm? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2004, 11:18 AM

I've heard alot about something called a mucus worm that is just a string of mucus acquired from eating dairy. It supposedly is pretty long depending on how long you've eaten diary for. Rumour has it that if you eat only applesauce, black tea, and natural clay for a week that you can remove it. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the veracity of these rumours and if so, would anyone like to go on a mucus detox with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2004, 11:33 AM

I know someone who went on a totally liquid diet (which I do not recommend BTW) and she passed a mucus caseing that was about nine inches long.
#3 Old 06-27-2004, 11:35 AM

Dumb question...how is clay edible? I'm thinking that would be pretty gross.
#4 Old 06-27-2004, 11:49 AM

Natural clay can be mixed with water and is edible. It somehow compliments the applesauce to keep you alive.

I'm interested as to how long she went on this diet for? Was it unhealthy or just inconvenient? I'd rather be inconvenienced than have a foot of mucus in me.
#5 Old 06-27-2004, 11:55 AM

I think any diet like that sounds unhealthy AND inconvenient. It's gross to think of that much mucus in me, but it is something natural that your body produces. Is it possible that it could result from a deficiency? Although it is gross, who ever said it was a bad thing?
#6 Old 06-27-2004, 12:04 PM

Why in the world would you want to clear the mucus out of your body any more than you would want to clear lymph fluid or blood or any other substance your body creates? You produce and swallow nearly two quarts of mucus every day, and it helps your body to lubricate the cilia in your airways and to protect the cells that line your gastro-intestinal tract from the digestive chemicals in your body. It seems foolish to try to force it out of your body.

Jim
#7 Old 06-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned

Oh, man, I shouldn't have read this. I think I'm going to be sick. All of this mucus talk.
#8 Old 06-27-2004, 12:09 PM

I agree... it's gross... like a pool of blood is gross. But it's necessary and shouldn't be forced out of one's body.

Jim
#9 Old 06-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Banned

I understand. Thanks, JD. I wouldn't have known either way.

As a side note, I passed out about a month ago after hearing about blood and lacerations, so I better exit pronto. For some reason, the last few months, I have had a really, really weak stomach and mindset.
#10 Old 06-27-2004, 12:12 PM

Arti, hope you feel better and stronger soon.

Jim
#11 Old 06-27-2004, 01:11 PM

Detox diets are for the most part a bunch of hooey. If you want to detox, eat a diet of fresh organic vegetables, and whole grains for a week. If you eat a high-fiber diet, the colon is self cleaning, you don't need to eat clay to suck out the impurities, or whatever it is they claim it is doing.
#12 Old 06-27-2004, 01:13 PM

In addition, there is no way in hell I would do somthing like live on applesauce, tea and liquified clay based on "rumors". What a terrible thing to do to your body.
#13 Old 06-27-2004, 01:36 PM

I wouldn't recommend that Artichoke47 read this article, but some of the rest of y'all might find it interesting:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...cs/gastro.html
#14 Old 06-27-2004, 01:39 PM

I have a hard (*nudge nudge*) time imagining what clay would be like coming out the other end.
#15 Old 06-27-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I have a hard (*nudge nudge*) time imagining what clay would be like coming out the other end.

I had a co-worker who did the clay thing. (She was obsessed with her bowels.) What she drank was mixed with plenty of water, so I imagine that it wasn't that difficult to pass -- not that I asked.
#16 Old 06-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

I wouldn't recommend that Artichoke47 read this article, but some of the rest of y'all might find it interesting:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...cs/gastro.html

Did you read the e-mail from an irate reader that they posted?

This could be my quote of the year:

"AND they've realized we have a second brain, which is located in the wall of the intestine."

The gang at Quackwatch is nicer than me. I would replied, "No, trick, that is just your head up your ass."
#17 Old 06-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

I had a co-worker who did the clay thing. (She was obsessed with her bowels.) What she drank was mixed with plenty of water, so I imagine that it wasn't that difficult to pass -- not that I asked.

I dunno...wouldn't it congeal as the water is absorbed.

For some reason, the brick wall smilie seems appropriate here -

Ouch. Medic. Yup. Clayed.
#18 Old 06-27-2004, 03:48 PM

Yeah, that thing about the second brain made me chuckle.
#19 Old 06-27-2004, 04:58 PM

Okay, let me pick my jaw up off of the floor after reading that response... how could someone beli... oh nevermind. It's probably because I'm not on top of current medical research...
#20 Old 06-27-2004, 05:44 PM

Mucus can be good, but dried strands of mucus do nothing for you. Since diary does increase mucus, if youve been a lifelong dairy consumer, then you would have more mucus than you should.

I also agree that such a diet is niether natural, nor healthy. But niether is consuming dairy, so its within the realm of possibility that you can reverse the effects of one foriegn substance with another.

Also, I have NO clue if this is true or not, that's why I asked.
#21 Old 06-27-2004, 07:44 PM

Dried strands of mucus? Where? Any excess mucus your body produces is going to be reabsorbed by the body, or passed. Where did you hear/read these things?

ETA: Your body is equipped to deal with excess mucus, think about when you have a cold. Most of the sources that claim you need to ingest weird stuff to "detox" are selling those things.
#22 Old 06-27-2004, 08:25 PM

I'm with Jess on this. Your body is designed to clean up after itself, for lack of a better way to put it.

Doesn't clay turn cement-like when mixed with water? Perhaps that's why it cleans you out, Tame

And I never trust sources that are selling stuff.
#23 Old 06-27-2004, 08:50 PM

I think the clay is supposed to draw out impurities. Same principle as a clay mask for your face -- at least, that is what I have been told -- though a different kind of clay is used, called bentonite.

"Bentonite clay, a medicinal powdered clay which is also known as montmorillonite, derives from deposits of weathered volcanic ash. It is one of the most effective natural intestinal detoxifying agents available and has been recognized as such for centuries by native peoples around the world. Whatever the name, liquid clay contains minerals that, once inside the gastrointestinal tract, are able to absorb toxins and deliver mineral nutrients to an impressive degree, says Knishinsky. Liquid clay is inert which means it passes through the body undigested."

http://www.experiencefestival.com/i/...s/article/2064

Bentonite is what my co-worker used. She felt like it was doing her some good, but she was always taking something for her colon and talking about her poop, so it was kind of hard to tell whether it had real benefits or was just part of her obsession.
#24 Old 06-28-2004, 02:08 AM

Since we're on the subject (sort of) , what is a natural & effective way to cleanse parasites out of one's colon?
#25 Old 06-28-2004, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm B Free View Post

Since we're on the subject (sort of) , what is a natural & effective way to cleanse parasites out of one's colon?

I think it depends what kind of parasite it is. If it's a tapeworm i think you're just supposed to stop eating, so that it pops out looking for food and a new host lol
#26 Old 06-28-2004, 05:51 AM
kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

I think it depends what kind of parasite it is. If it's a tapeworm i think you're just supposed to stop eating, so that it pops out looking for food and a new host lol

Oooh nice!
#27 Old 06-28-2004, 06:15 AM

I'm all for natural food, but if you're gonna eat clay, you might as well eat tree bark or a nice piece of wood while you're at it.
#28 Old 06-28-2004, 08:32 AM

This topic is gross
#29 Old 06-28-2004, 09:06 AM

I dont believe in it., and yes this topic IS gross.
#30 Old 06-28-2004, 09:11 AM

Oh man, that second brain thing is pure gold! ROFL and a half!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page