VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

EPA Question (Fish Oil)

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Purp 
#1 ·
So my Dr. is wanting me to take 1000mg of EPA every day. Anyone know of an algae product that can provide that? Using one now by Deva, but doesn't contain nearly that much. Thanks.

#4 ·
It exists; I can assure you of that. You can take my word for it, or conversely, you can walk into any supermarket and empirically determine its existence. Look near the pharmacy by the Flintstones Chewables. Notwithstanding, the OP is asking for sources of EPA which are derived from algae, not cold-water fish.

#5 ·
Yeah, as someone transitioning to veganism, and who sees himself as especially needing of adequate Omega-3s... What can I do to get an adequate supply?

For the time being, I intend on continuing to take fish oil even once I eliminate stuff like eggs and whatever else, but please tell me what alternatives there? I asked in the local pharmacy if they had vegan omega-3 EPA+DHA, but they said no. (I'm in Nepal, so it's difficult to get first-world goods.)

#6 ·
My knowledge of this subject is old and fuzzy, so don’t take everything I say as gospel; hop on Google and verify it—it may be outdated or just plain wrong.

Up until about ten years ago, they only supplemental form of DHA/EPA available was fish oil derived from salmon or other cold-water species, until a company named Martek filed a patent on a process that extracts DHA/EPA from farmed algae and created a small niche market for vegan-sourced forms of these fatty acids. That’s what the OP is looking for, not fish oil. At the time, Martek was claiming that they could produce the stuff so inexpensively that they were going to completely decimate the global fish oil market. This hasn’t materialized yet. The stuff is still frightfully expensive. If amazon.com is out of the question (but I can’t imagine that they don’t ship to Nepal), Crisco markets a line of vegetable oils that contains a small amount of Martek DHA/EPA added to it. Look for a small green logo on the bottom of the bottle that says ‘Life’sDHA’ on it.

#7 ·
He specifically said EPA. There are plenty of algae based brands but not finding any with that amount other than fish oil. Not going there. How do they get oil out of a fish anyway? Yuck. Anyway, guess I'll just do the best with what I can find. Currently taking the Vegan DEVA Omega-3 DHA-EPA and it only contains 60-80 mg of EPA. I have seen a few with higher amounts. Not going to compromise my principles for him as long as I'm healthy but thought someone might know of something. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.