Desperately want to be vegetarian for ethical reasons, please help - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ker1608
  • 2 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly

#1 Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 AM

Desperately want to be vegetarian for ethical reasons, please help

Hi all
Hope I won't get shot down for posting here again, I have posted here about something similar some time ago.
I desperately want to be vegetarian for ethical reasons, but never seem to be able to stick to it. I know, that to some of you who may read this, you could think, "well you obviously don't really want to do it or you'd just do it, no questions asked" but it's not that simple. None of my family or friends are veg, well my aunt is pescetarian but I know that's not the same. I have no support from immediate friends/family so I think this is part of it. I know that just because i like the taste of some meet, that it doesn't make it right. I don't want to force vegetarianism/veganism or anything onto anyone else, I just want to live according to my own values and not give into temptation to eat meet. I know it's not even right for me to like the taste of meet, considering all the harm and ill treatment eventually ending in slaughter of animals that happens to make meet, but I just don't know what to do in order to succeed. please help. Thanks
Tiger Lilly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Ankle Biter

Here's what I learned when I quit smoking: a craving is not going to kill you, so just relax and know that it will pass. Another will come, but as you stay the course, they will come less often and with much less force. And finally, they'll be (mostly!) gone.

Here's what I've learned about going veg*n: be prepared! Do not rely on anyone else to feed you, to accommodate your new way of eating, or to understand what you're doing! I know that sounds harsh, but it's often a "go it alone" scenario, especially at the beginning. So here are some suggestions - always have something to eat nearby - carry a Cliff bar, peanuts, peanut butter crackers, bananas - whatever you like and have them in your purse or backpack. When you're invited to eat with family or friends, bring something to share. Practice some recipes ahead of time and make something yummy! If you know you're going to a restaurant, look at the menu online ahead of time. If there's not much you like, eat before you go. If you eat with your family, don't expect the family cook to make something different for you - you must help in the kitchen, research recipes, and help with the shopping. And finally, try not to engage in the "ethical" discussions until you've been doing this for a while. You will learn with time what approaches work best for you. Don't take any "jokes" personally; it's a weird, universal thing that those close to us kind of freak out when we go veg! And post here, get support, vent! Best of Luck!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Education is probably a good direction to go in. Bettering diet is about a continuous development of accumulated knowledge that brings incentive to care about what choices we make concerning what we make of ourselves. Searching and thinking along certain lines that attain needed answers can involve reading certain literature or watching documentaries etc.
It is true that interactive support is important and that does help and may need to be received, but we also must develop our individual convictions, despite whatever is going on with others in our surroundings. In other words, no matter what others are doing, we must develop the ability to retain to our own personal journey into progressing to being a better person.
Any failures or short-comings should not be blamed on others nor social customs or even bad advice or what our friends or family are doing or tell us.
We are the only real controller of our own personal destiny.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#4 Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

You're right. Going veg isn't that simple, if it was as simple as "Well, I'll just go veg now...." then everyone would have done it and forums like this would be about swapping recipes, instead of ways to deal with family, friends and society in general.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but being vegetarian or vegan means sooner or later someone will accuse you of pushing your 'opinion' on them, even if you don't say much more than "I'm a vegetarian". While that may bother you, you should know that it's not YOUR problem. I always tell people "If you feel guilty about me not eating animals, then that says a lot more about your own feelings than it does about what I'm doing".

Look, you want to live according to your morals, that's good! It's the first step and while it may take a while for you, you can do it! GOOD NEWS!

As for this "I know it's not right for me to like the taste of meat" where'd you get that idea?!

I loved the taste of meat. But if I have a craving, I know ways to get a similar taste without anyone ending up on my plate. You can make your own seitan (a little tricky at times, but quite nice!). You can buy faux meat substitutes. Or you can use the same herbs and spices you'd use in a dish with meat in it, on vegetables and be surprised at how much you don't miss the meat! (Don't constantly eat faux meats, there's so much else out there!).

The others have already given you some spot on advice.

The only thing I would add is, that you can just do this day-to-day for the first little while. I did a 30 Day vegetarian thing, way before I even wanted to give up meat (at least consciously). It helped me find new recipes, my family thought it was only going to last for 30 days and in the end, I'd shown myself I could do without meat! Now it's been over 2 years. I don't think I'll ever eat animals again. You could start with something like that, a small goal to help you reach your larger one.
leedsveg likes this.

Tags
ethical , family , friends , veganism , vegetarianism

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page