VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you happier now that you're veg?

2K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Thehappygang 
#1 ·
I think that I was more stressed out when I ate meat. I also think I had less energy and so felt frustrated more easily when faced with a busy schedule. I seem to need less sleep, and so I am less cranky when I have less sleep. How do you feel your mood has changed since becoming veg? Perhaps it's worsened or remained the same? All answers welcome!

#2 ·
Hello,

As for my mood.. I do not think that has changed. But vegetarianism has introduced me to cooking, which makes me feel good! 😊

Since turning veggie I feel that I sleep a lot better, have more energy and can digest (and excrete.. Sorry yucky I know!) my food much easier.

#6 ·
I am happier. I attribute this to a feeling of enhanced resilience since going vegan. I seem to bounce back more easily from stress and negative thinking now. I also seem to recover better from excercise and a tough schedule now. This does not mean I'm invincible, but I seem to tolerate more in general.

#7 ·
There is no question that I am far healthier, and I find it easy (for the most part) to stay that way, which I attribute to no meat and dairy. For the record: I have a real, true dairy allergy; I am not sure I'd have been able to give it up completely if I had not, but that is another story. I'm going on 15 years of being a strict veg; it may have saved my life and I am certain it gave me the ability to work and live a normal life, which I never had before. I also learned to cook as I made the switch, which has been a good hobby for me, and I also became well-versed in ethnic food which is awesome because I have always had an interest in world culture.

One problem though - I'm pretty sure being strict veg, and having the dairy allergy, is a problem for me when dating. I'm not sure to what extent, but I think it has scared off a few potential candidates, and it has limited some of the things I can do that others take for granted. I've been struggling with this a great deal lately, and while I am glad to have had a far better life the last 15 years, I did not imagine I was saving my health to live the rest of my life alone.

#14 ·
In some respects my moods have gone up. I feel better physically most of the time, my digestive system is MUCH happier which makes a big impact on my day.
After watching all the videos I did I do get slightly nauseous watching, for instance, my husband eat ribs. That was a problem.

I do get really annoyed when I eat bad vegan food, though, which... is tied to a larger problem of being a total foodie who just moved from a city where amazing food is the norm and amazing local/organic vegetarian and vegan food is surprisingly easy to find (New Orleans) to a city where over 60% of what I've had at restaurants is some combination of sugar, salt, and fat on the saddest pieces of "food" I've ever seen (DC). I'm trying to remind myself that there are tons of other restaurants to try, and that I'm lucky that there are so many vegetarian and vegan places around me.

One problem though - I'm pretty sure being strict veg, and having the dairy allergy, is a problem for me when dating. I'm not sure to what extent, but I think it has scared off a few potential candidates, and it has limited some of the things I can do that others take for granted. I've been struggling with this a great deal lately, and while I am glad to have had a far better life the last 15 years, I did not imagine I was saving my health to live the rest of my life alone.
Don't give up! I met my husband while I couldn't eat dairy (allergy). Over 10 years later and we've been married for 3 years (and I'm now transitioning probably to being vegan, lol). You're probably sick of hearing it but- do you really want to be in a relationship with someone who judges their dates that shallowly? No. They are probably superficial egoists who care more about how they look on a date to other people than about who they're on a date with and what conversations and connections they can have with said person.

#11 ·
Great idea but almost impossible to find. Also, because I am a "health" vegetarian, I have run into judgment for that - most of the veg*n community I have met here is made up of ethical folks. I don't have a problem with that, but they have in the past had problems with me because I will not claim to be Vegan, go to protests, etc. (Apparently saving my own life counts for nothing - but oh well.)

#10 ·
I remember feeling so much lighter somehow, when I first went vegetarian. Sort of as if I was somehow more connected with nature and animals - very hippy dippy and out there, I know, but that's the only way I can describe it. It feels good when you're doing what you know is right, and that makes me happy :)

#17 ·
Great responses! I think feeling lighter is a genuine physical difference, whilst I haven't lost weight I do think that my metabolism has hastened (!!) which makes me feel great!

And I feel much more connected to the world and everything in it. I even think my relationship with my baby is strengthened by it, since I can't imagine eating an animal mother's baby, and I've come to feel compassion for animals who are separated from their young etc.

#18 ·
Definitely happier and stronger...mentally, physically, and spiritually.

#19 ·
I'm much happier as a veg*n!

#22 ·
I can't say that being a vegitarian has made me happier, but I don't know if I had remained eating meat what the world might have been like either. Since belonging to this board 4 family members and one friend have died of food related syndrome X type diseases. Would they have died anyway if they decided to go veg? I do feel I will not go like them, but I don't know the future.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I've been vegan so long, I can hardly remember my "other life". :p

However, there's certainly something to say about having peace of mind when you sit down to eat. I'm certain most omnis reflect about the source of their meat, at least from time to time. It's so very nice not to have to shove those dark thoughts down to the back of my mind anymore.

#24 ·
Yes!! :D I've been way happier since going Veg! Also I have more energy and have lost more weight and since going Vegan AND I've started jogging. ^_^ So yes I'm a happier, healthier person since.

#25 ·
I feel as if a load has been taken off my shoulders. Similar to what Poppy is saying.

So yes, I am happier. However I haven't been a vegetarian long enough to get a good diet worked out.. So I have yet to see the physical benefits.

It also has made me more misanthropic than before. Really starting to be disgusted with how alot of people act.

#27 ·
My breakthrough came when I finally realized that all animals are sentient beings, just like us. They deserve our utmost respect & care. I also got into the health aspects of not eating meat. Look at the standard US diet.....enough said.

I actually feel better...health wise. My blood work is proof. I feel even better for not eating animals. I watched almost every video out there. There is no way I could eat meat again.

Everybody is different & has a different situation. I do all I can to not exploit animals or animal cruelty. If that means eating veggies, beans & rice forever....so be it.

Reactions: spacegirl
#28 ·
When I originally started eating a "whole food plant based diet" for my health, it made me feel physically better. After two years of that, I developed a strong compassion for all beings and started living a vegan lifestyle to go along with my WFPB diet, and that made me feel better mentally or spiritually... however you want to describe it.

Regarding the topic in this thread about dating another vegan... I am married to an omni, but I was having a conversation with another vegan I work with, who is also in a relationship with an omni, about the challenges of sharing the kitchen with my wife, and just other challenges in general. During that conversation I came to the conclusion that if anything ever happened between my wife and I (not that I think anything ever will), I don't think I'd ever get into a relationship with an omni again. I could handle being with an ovo lacto vegetarian, would prefer a vegan, but I couldn't start a serious relationship with an omni. If that meant a life as a divorced bachelor, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.