VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Something an omnivore friend said..

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Gita 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Last week I was talking with a close friend about the reasons I turned vegetarian, health benefits, fancied a change, we don't need to eat meat/fish etc.

I quoted something along the lines of.. 'because there is so much c*** in meat, like you don't know what you're really eating half the time..' she agreed but went on to say something along the lines of 'well its just the same for vegetables, loads of stuff gets pumped into them.' (relating to chemicals etc). I was a little stunned.

I responded with something along the lines of, 'yeah but its a bit different, you don't know what the animals have been fed, which part of the animal you are eating.. etc etc'

Thoughts?

#2 ·
What the heck vegetables are she eating? Pumped full of chemicals? I'll give you sprayed and soil pesticides and GMO modifications. However levels of those are nowhere near the junk that's injected into animals, added to their feeds, washed over meat after slaughter, etc.

I will say though- she could come back to you with the availability of "organic" "free range" "no BGH" etc meats now. Not that I agree with her but if "the c*** in meat" is your only argument, there's her answer right there.

#3 ·
What the heck vegetables are she eating? Pumped full of chemicals? I'll give you sprayed and soil pesticides and GMO modifications. However levels of those are nowhere near the junk that's injected into animals, added to their feeds, washed over meat after slaughter, etc.

I will say though- she could come back to you with the availability of "organic" "free range" "no BGH" etc meats now. Not that I agree with her but if "the c*** in meat" is your only argument, there's her answer right there.
She meant GMO I assume.

No it wasn't my only argument. If she did say that, then I could inform her about organic vegetables! Aha! No we went on to discuss excessive meat consumption, and the reduction of contracting diseases if you turn vegetarian etc.

#4 ·
The biggest thing to keep in mind is that while you may consume some pesticide residues on cultivated vegetables, you are certainly consuming much worse in a animal product.

Commercial pesticides, while being nasty in their own right, have a short half life and break down fairly quickly with most of it being gone by time of harvest. The largest person taking a risk here is the handler and applicator of such chemicals, with even organic certified compounds like BT being correlated to higher lung cancer rates in applicators.

Persistent carcinogenic compounds are of the greatest threat in animal foods, where things like dioxins and heavy metals accumulate as they move up the food chain. They accumulate in the fatty deposits of these animals and make it right to your dinner plate, being unavoidable no matter how organic, free range, or grass fed these animals are. And that's only one of the health complications associated with our culture of consuming animals.

#5 ·
Pesticides and fertilzers are used in the manufacture of plants. Most of the fertilizers are those things in raw chimicle form that people actually need to live. I do not agree with their sourcing, but down to the wire, nitrogen is nitrogen is nitrogen, potassium is potassium. Potash is potash.

The main cause of the major diseases over time that people have had to endure is through the proximity and eating of animals. Polio, measels, mumps, chicken pox, whooping cough, all cross the animal/ human boundaries. Human beings gave animals a great deal, but in return they got disease. And then it all grew up and got mad. In the 20s 10 cows made you a dairy. Now, it is pathetic. Cheese is the cause. Ten gallons of milk per pound, and the keep feeding those cows steroids and so on to make them produce more. I see milk cows every day. They can barely stand up. If a wild animal went after them, they would not be able to flee to save their own lives. I will aslo say the majority of diseases you have to worry about are chronic, and yes, being vegetarian will allow you to avoid high blood pressure, many heart and venus problems, diabetis, and if you keep protien intake to 5% or less many cancers.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
The really funny part is that it's the animals bred for food that gets fed the worse crap.
Even the soy that everyone likes to call gmo is mostly fed to animals. The soy used for soy milk, tofu, and other products where soy is key are something like 90% non gmo.

So your friend appartently gets the worse of both worlds!

And really the only reason you need is that you don't have ANY reason to eat meat.

#7 ·
Hello all,

Last week I was talking with a close friend about the reasons I turned vegetarian, health benefits, fancied a change, we don't need to eat meat/fish etc.

I quoted something along the lines of.. 'because there is so much c*** in meat, like you don't know what you're really eating half the time..' she agreed but went on to say something along the lines of 'well its just the same for vegetables, loads of stuff gets pumped into them.' (relating to chemicals etc). I was a little stunned.

I responded with something along the lines of, 'yeah but its a bit different, you don't know what the animals have been fed, which part of the animal you are eating.. etc etc'

Thoughts?
Organic veggies are contaminate free. Regular veggies are better than meat. :)

"Meat" is filled with all sorts of crap. The "animal feed" that is fed to pigs, chickens, cows, etc. is pure garbage. It contains roadkill, euthanized dogs & cats, pesticides, antibiotics, and probably 4 or 5 other bad things I can't think of right now. They eat it, are pumped up with steroids, and antibiotics. Some animals that are diseased......that can't walk to be slaughtered....are deemed "OK" for food processing. Do a search on the PETA, BITESIZEVEGAN, or YOU TUBE web sites.

EAT VEGAN & STAY HEALTHY!!!! :)

#8 ·
Your friends reply was filled with so many logical fallacies. Pumping antibiotics is simply not the same thing as GMO, and the practices of large scale animal farming is not the same as farming. Comparison of unequal constants. Yours is just as bad as mine when they are totally different. I wish there were coupons a person could give to people for a class in critical thinking so they can organise some of the simple minded drivel they allow to leap from their mouths.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.