insect legs in chocolate - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-04-2004, 11:12 AM
xia
Beginner

i was innocently flipping thru Kerrang! and there was this 'facts' column and one was them goes something like, " theres an average of 6 insect leg in a regular choco bar". is there any proven fact for this???? now i feel queasy over chocolates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Beginner

It is true, that and other insect parts.
#3 Old 05-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Beginner

#4 Old 05-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Beginner

yup, I knew that. But, there are bugs, feces and other delights in just about everything you eat - canned beans, carrots, lettuce, etc.
#5 Old 05-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Beginner

i have heard some similar things as this before, not specifically about choco bars though! i think that basically having insect parts, etc...is inevitable in any food as it is impossible to prevent them from getting into the food altogether! i know...very gross, i try not to think about it! oh...and btw, i remember a time when i was younger and used to take a spoonful of peanut butter and lick it off the spoon, except this one time i found myself licking a dead fly!!! talk about disgusting...so there's proof that that kind of **** happens...unfortunately!!!
#6 Old 05-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Beginner

Just extra protein!
#7 Old 05-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Beginner

If you spend all of your energy trying to eliminate EVERY single insect and animal bit from your diet,your going to take all of the enjoyment out of eating. One would have to search for the offending bit with a microscope, it's not enough to make it on the ingrediant list. If you have ever ridden a motorcycle or a roller coaster chances are you have ingested and an insect. Same difference.
#8 Old 05-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Beginner

I believe this is an urban legend that based on fact. Any food is allowed to have a certain amount of foreign material in it, but 6 legs is a stretch.
#9 Old 05-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Beginner

im not a milk chocolate eater anymore but this does not bother me.

there was probably fly poop on the lettuce i ate earlier, and beetle poop on the tomato.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#10 Old 05-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Administrator

I've heard something similar about ketchup and flies.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#11 Old 05-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarro View Post

im not a milk chocolate eater anymore but this does not bother me.

there was probably fly poop on the lettuce i ate earlier, and beetle poop on the tomato.

looking at hamburger... looking at salad... looking at chocolate bar...

At this rate, I'm going to just stop eating...

Jim
#12 Old 05-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Beginner

theres usually rat hairs in most canned foods too! mmmm..this is the second time ive mentioned eating rats this week! LOL!

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#13 Old 05-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdavis View Post

Jim

I'm sure we could eliminate every single thing from our diet if we examined it closely enough.
#14 Old 05-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Beginner

When I saw the title to this thread I thought it was about actual insect legs dipped in chocolate, like a delicacy somewhere.
#15 Old 05-05-2004, 04:26 AM
Beginner

chocolate covered ants, anyone?
#16 Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Beginner

There was one time when I wanted to try those, or fried grasshoppers.
#17 Old 05-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Just don't think about it. We learned in health class that a certain percentage (can't remember what it was now) of rat hair, insect parts, etc., etc. is allowed by the health department and there's no way to avoid it, except a hunger strike maybe.

I found a whole fly in a bottle of pop once and a worm in a can of soup. But as long as I can't see it, I try not to think about it.

What cracks me up is omnis who get grossed out over such things, but see nothing disgusting about a slab of dead cow or pig or whatever.
#18 Old 05-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Beginner

I've likened insects to micro machines that are here to recycle the dead, to be feed for the small animals, that type of thing. I've never seen an insect show any signs of intellegence, so I'm not as concerned about their well being.

I don't purposely squash insects though. I've had moths infest my home once, and I rid of them as they were born by capturing them in a jar and setting them free out the door. I eventually found where some larva were and tranfered them to the outdoors as well. They probably were eaten by something else, or died in the cold, but I put my well being far over theirs. I will take an extra step to help them out, but more out of a respect for life no matter how simple or complex.

As much as I try to just think of them as simple 'lesser' life, I realize you can not avoid eating them. I am still torn though. My favorite vegetable in Chinese Brocolli, but every time I bought some, I found little tiny worms living in the buds of the flowers. People say that regular brocolli has it too, but I've never seen anything moving on my brocolli before.

It's funny I see this post as I was about to post a follow up to my 'Do you eat Jellyfish' post with the soon to be 'Do you eat insects?' post.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#19 Old 05-05-2004, 09:58 AM
xia
Beginner

oh yeah once i was eating steamed brocolli in some restrurant and PHAM! white maggot-like worms on my brocolli. i felt totally sick.(note tt i have a probia for worms especially white maggot-like ones).. oh and the other time i found a cockroach in my noodle soup. nice. ok not too topic related.. but well..
#20 Old 05-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Beginner

We all swallow bugs and spiders in our sleep fairly often, so whats a few more in food?
#21 Old 05-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xia View Post

i was innocently flipping thru Kerrang! and there was this 'facts' column and one was them goes something like, " theres an average of 6 insect leg in a regular choco bar". is there any proven fact for this???? now i feel queasy over chocolates.

I learned about this at the 1995 intertnational vegan festival in California.

Dr. Klaper had actually visited a place where they grow the cocoa beans. He explained about how they lay them all outside to dry. Then all the cockroaches come to eat them. He described seeing this huge pile of moving cocao beans. After that giant rats come to eat the cockroaches. So cocao always has cockroach pieces and rat poop in it. Dr. Klaper said that you can ask imigration the exact percentages of that stuff allowed in cocoa.

He told us he doesn't eat any chocolate anymore. I stopped after I heard the story too.
#22 Old 05-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucycat View Post

We all swallow bugs and spiders in our sleep fairly often, so whats a few more in food?

Thanks for the info. I will never be able to sleep again, thinking about those creepy little arachnids crawling on me as I sleep.
#23 Old 05-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucycat View Post

Not according to Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.htm

Jim
#24 Old 05-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xia View Post

oh yeah once i was eating steamed brocolli in some restrurant and PHAM! white maggot-like worms on my brocolli. i felt totally sick.(note tt i have a probia for worms especially white maggot-like ones).. oh and the other time i found a cockroach in my noodle soup. nice. ok not too topic related.. but well..

The same thing happened to me a few years ago...but this one was a big green worm. That makes my flesh crawl just to think about it, i'm getting more and more turned off by food as I learn what's in it or could be in it.
#25 Old 05-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post

When I saw the title to this thread I thought it was about actual insect legs dipped in chocolate, like a delicacy somewhere.

LOL me too.
#26 Old 05-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Not according to Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.htm

Jim

Hmmmm, how do we know that this isn't misinformation talking about some alleged misinformation?!?! I smell conspiracy!!!!

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#27 Old 05-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitof99 View Post

Hmmmm, how do we know that this isn't misinformation talking about some alleged misinformation?!?! I smell conspiracy!!!!

Anyone care to perform a study with a reasonably sized population sample?
#28 Old 05-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Jim

lol jim ur hilarious!
#29 Old 05-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Beginner

and if it's milk chocolate then there's PUS in it as well. PUS CELLS!
#30 Old 05-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Beginner

i took a drink of soy milk the other day and there was something scratchy on my lip... turned out to be a fat icky spider... it was alive, so i'm betting it wasnt IN the soymilk. and also found aphids on my cooked broccoli once... REAL gross...

i've had a friend that worked in a cannery on the incoming lines.... he said that he had to sort through tons of fresh dirty veggies, in with which was mixed many a dead possum, rat, beaver, cat, dog, bird, nutrea, even garbage, just about anything smaller than a pig.

No doubt he missed a few. ::shudders::

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page