May Wah Vegetarian Food (an other similar meat analogs) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Beginner

There is a huge vegetarian meat analog store near my home: May Wah Vegetarian Markert. I am not generally a big fan of meat analogs, but I am intrigued by the variety.

Has anyone tried these?

Any thoughts on meat analogs in general?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I've heard of them! I've been thinking about trying them myself. I miss the taste and chewiness of seafood like squid, so I'm tempted to try their imitation squid. The vegan prawns look good too.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Beginner

The prawns do look good. If I try anything, I'll keep everyone posted. 

#4 Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyneoma View Post

The prawns do look good. If I try anything, I'll keep everyone posted. 

Please do, and since you're close to them you can maybe go down and ask for a sample!!

I'd have to buy online so yeah, I'd like to know what other people think.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 07-10-2013, 02:19 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

OMG I just saw they had squid "strips" omg...those used to be my fav. So tempted to hit the buy button right now!

#6 Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Beginner

So funny, I was *just* taking a look at their website since the "Betty Goes Vegan" author mentioned one of their items in a recipe!  They have reviews on Yelp if you take a look ... someone mentions to just be sure you read the labels (dairy in some products, MSG also)

I think I might give it a try next time I am in the city ...

#7 Old 07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredGal View Post

So funny, I was *just* taking a look at their website since the "Betty Goes Vegan" author mentioned one of their items in a recipe!  They have reviews on Yelp if you take a look ... someone mentions to just be sure you read the labels (dairy in some products, MSG also)

I think I might give it a try next time I am in the city ...

Do you have a link to some of the reviews?

Nvm I got it http://www.yelp.com/biz/may-wah-vegetarian-market-new-york-2

#8 Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Beginner

http://www.yelp.com/biz/may-wah-vegetarian-market-new-york-2

These reviews are for their original NYC market, but the reviews are pertaining to the foods so it is helpful!

#9 Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Beginner

Thank you for the MSG reminder! I get migraines, and I try to avoid MSG at all costs!

#10 Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

Thank you for the MSG reminder! I get migraines, and I try to avoid MSG at all costs!

I haven't seen the labeling of monosodium glutamate on any of their products. o.o Is it maybe hidden in the soysauce?

#11 Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Beginner

I also looked at a few labels on their website and didn't notice it! Will have to look in person :-)
#12 Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

I live in Chicago and have seen these products in Chinatown, but I've never bought them. I'm trying to get myself away from consuming meat analogs, but they are nice for the occasional treat. Let us know how you like them, nyneoma, should you get some.. I'm planning a trip to Chinatown next week and may be tempted to pick up some. 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#13 Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Beginner

I stopped by May Wah Market on the way home. They didn't have many gluten-free options (I'm mainly GF), but the prawns are GF. 

They also told me that none of their products have MSG. 

I bought two packages of prawns. 

I can't imagine that this is something that I will want to eat on a regular basis (too processed -- I really try to make healthy choices), but, like Aristede said, if they're good, they'll be "nice for the occasional treat."

I plan on cooking them sometime this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted! 

4everaspirit likes this.
#14 Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Siv
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

I've heard of them! I've been thinking about trying them myself. I miss the taste and chewiness of seafood like squid, so I'm tempted to try their imitation squid. The vegan prawns look good too.

If you miss squid, then see if you can find king oyster mushrooms. It's more stalk than anything else and the taste and texture is just like squid. We tried them sliced up and on the bbq and they were too squid-like for my tastes (I was never a squid fan).

#15 Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

If you miss squid, then see if you can find king oyster mushrooms. It's more stalk than anything else and the taste and texture is just like squid. We tried them sliced up and on the bbq and they were too squid-like for my tastes (I was never a squid fan).

interesting

#16 Old 07-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Beginner

There's a blog called the Vegan Zombie which I quite enjoy (for reasons of which I'm not entirely sure.)

The reason I'm telling you this is that he did a review of May Wah's mock chicken legs which I hoped may be enlightening for you.

http://youtu.be/IWln0GVk--E
#17 Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

There's a blog called the Vegan Zombie which I quite enjoy (for reasons of which I'm not entirely sure.)

The reason I'm telling you this is that he did a review of May Wah's mock chicken legs which I hoped may be enlightening for you.

That was fun actually. I've glanced at one of Vegan Zombie's videos in the past, but didn't give it much thought. At first I felt like he was trying too hard, but his style and mannerisms are somewhat engaging and entertaining. The "chicken" legs he made do look quite like the real thing. thinking.gif

Aristede book2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#18 Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:

That was amusing! Thank you for sharing the link. I just subscribed to his channel.

#19 Old 07-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Siv
Beginner

Quote:

I'm not sure what I found more amusing - the clip or the advert for KFC that played before it.

#20 Old 07-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Beginner

I didn't have my reading glasses when I bought the "shrimp." I read the package this morning and, I hate to say, these things are pretty nutritionally empty. They have less than 1% of the RSDA of protein, which is a real bummer.

I plan to cook them this evening, but unless they are "da bomb," this will probably be the last time.

There are mainstream meat analogs that are much more nutritionally sound. 

It says to boil them in hot water. No time is indicated. Any suggestions?

#21 Old 07-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

It says to boil them in hot water. No time is indicated. Any suggestions?

I tried looking for that information on the Internet, but couldn't find it either. Real shrimp don't take that long to cook (depending on size), so I'd only boil them for 5 minutes and see if the color or texture changes. They might need a little more time, but this is really a shot in the dark since it's not in the directions. The goal is not to boil them so long that they become tough. I hope they turn out okay. smiley.gif

#22 Old 07-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

I tried looking for that information on the Internet, but couldn't find it either. Real shrimp don't take that long to cook (depending on size), so I'd only boil them for 5 minutes and see if the color or texture changes. They might need a little more time, but this is really a shot in the dark since it's not in the directions. The goal is not to boil them so long that they become tough. I hope they turn out okay. smiley.gif

Thank you, Aristede! I really appreciate your help.I think that's a good suggestion. Treat 'em like "real" shrimp. 

I'm going to cook them shortly. I'll keep everyone posted! 

Aristede likes this.
#23 Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Beginner

The verdict is in...

May Wah "shrimp" is a very realistic analog. They look almost exactly like giant, cooked prawns and the texture is pretty darn close. They have a satisfying "mouth feel." 

I am afraid that I can't tell you whether they really taste like shrimp. I think that they're close, but the flavors of the rest of my meal were very rich and complex and probably overpowered the shrimp flavor.

I made plain quinoa. While the shrimp boiled (about 5 minutes), I stir fried onions, mixed frozen veggies and fresh enoki mushrooms in sesame oil and about half a bottle of teriyake sauce. I added the boiled shrimp to the stir fry for five minutes so they could absorb some of the flavor.

The end result was an incredibly delicious, satisfying meal. Truth be told, I believe that I would have enjoyed it just as much without the shrimp.

I have leftovers, which I'll eat tomorrow. And I have another package of frozen "shrimp." Maybe I'll just boil them next time so I can provide an accurate assessment. Maybe not... 

Oh, and between the fake shrimp and the teriyake sauce, I consumed about a month's worth of sodium in one sitting. I'm so thirsty! 

#24 Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update! Knowing how salty they are, I'll definitely will curtail the soy sauce if I choose to get them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page