Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1928Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0

I didn't even realize the last thread went past 5,000 posts. Wow, that seemed to go fast. Continue the discussion here!

HealthyEatin and Ashwani like this.
danakscully64 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 AM
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744

It is sad... But really - if the surf is that rough, don't throw a stick into the water. And if your dog goes in, wait to see if it will come out. If It does not then cut your losses. Human life is very precious. Animals are too...just not as precious as human life.

 

mad.gif


"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#3 Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591

Did you mean to post this in a different thread? I know what case you're talking about, BTW.

tash11 and HealthyEatin like this.
danakscully64 is offline  
 
#4 Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,415
Yay new thread!

Reddit is always great for STOS, yesterday someone posted about male chicks being culled in the egg industry in the Today I Learned section and someone ended a rambly post with:
Quote:
The only alternative would be to not eat chicken, and I don't consider that a rational or logical option.

Really? It seems to be working out okay for a LOT of people, dude.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#5 Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Vegetarian
 
Erratus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Yay new thread!
Reddit is always great for STOS, yesterday someone posted about male chicks being culled in the egg industry in the Today I Learned section and someone ended a rambly post with:
Really? It seems to be working out okay for a LOT of people, dude.

 

Madness!

HealthyEatin likes this.
Erratus is offline  
#6 Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Yay new thread!
Reddit is always great for STOS, yesterday someone posted about male chicks being culled in the egg industry in the Today I Learned section and someone ended a rambly post with:
Really? It seems to be working out okay for a LOT of people, dude.

Of course, because in their illogical and irrational heads, they are always logical and rational rolleyes.gif
HealthyEatin likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#7 Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 79

Since I moved to LA, I don't get nearly as many stupid quotes--either because people are more educated out here or it's just more common to meet a veg*n.

 

I still get weird interactions, the LA version is just a little different. Instead of telling someone I'm a vegetarian and they respond "Well, that's dumb. You need meat," it's usually educated questions and genuine concern that I'm not just eating Kraft Mac and Cheese all day, every day.

 

However, recently I was out to dinner with a friend and their parent. The parents were buying us food, which was very nice, but as it does, my diet came up. I am going to take some creative liberties with the exchange, but it basically went something like this.

 

Parent: So you don't eat any meat at all? What about seafood?

Me: I never really ate seafood even before going vegetarian, except chowder. I don't really like it.

Parent: But you're from New England!

Me: Yeah, I know. I'm weird, I guess.

Parent: Well, my philosophy is that I always try everything at least twice. Just something to think about.

microbrien is offline  
#8 Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbrien View Post

Since I moved to LA, I don't get nearly as many stupid quotes--either because people are more educated out here or it's just more common to meet a veg*n.

 

I still get weird interactions, the LA version is just a little different. Instead of telling someone I'm a vegetarian and they respond "Well, that's dumb. You need meat," it's usually educated questions and genuine concern that I'm not just eating Kraft Mac and Cheese all day, every day.

 

However, recently I was out to dinner with a friend and their parent. The parents were buying us food, which was very nice, but as it does, my diet came up. I am going to take some creative liberties with the exchange, but it basically went something like this.

 

Parent: So you don't eat any meat at all? What about seafood?

Me: I never really ate seafood even before going vegetarian, except chowder. I don't really like it.

Parent: But you're from New England!

Me: Yeah, I know. I'm weird, I guess.

Parent: Well, my philosophy is that I always try everything at least twice. Just something to think about.

My response would've been, "I made some delicious veg*an food. You should try some. Twice."


Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#9 Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbrien View Post

Since I moved to LA, I don't get nearly as many stupid quotes--either because people are more educated out here or it's just more common to meet a veg*n.

I still get weird interactions, the LA version is just a little different. Instead of telling someone I'm a vegetarian and they respond "Well, that's dumb. You need meat," it's usually educated questions and genuine concern that I'm not just eating Kraft Mac and Cheese all day, every day.

However, recently I was out to dinner with a friend and their parent. The parents were buying us food, which was very nice, but as it does, my diet came up. I am going to take some creative liberties with the exchange, but it basically went something like this.

Parent: So you don't eat any meat at all? What about seafood?
Me: I never really ate seafood even before going vegetarian, except chowder. I don't really like it.
Parent: But you're from New England!
Me: Yeah, I know. I'm weird, I guess.
Parent: Well, my philosophy is that I always try everything at least twice. Just something to think about.

Really, everything? Like monkey brains? Fetus stew? Road kill? evil.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#10 Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,415
From the comments on a Buzzfeed article:
Quote:
I find it wasteful and ungrateful to not eat the animals who were raised for that purpose. I'm all for better treatment of food animals, but their purpose is to provide food and other resources. That's the way it's always been.

I just don't even...... dizzy2.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#11 Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
TALK ABOUT JUST F*CKING RUDE. (okay guys, sorry I'm just a little heated right now.)

My guy friend invited me to come to get some night time food with him. I had nothing else to do so I decided to tag along. We are fairly good friends but sometimes what he says is SOOOO out of line. Everything was fine, and it ususally is cuz I have gotten food with him before....even though I despise how he eats a cheezeburger.

Anyway, he was getting all his stuff to put together a cheeseburger and he commented to me about how he got into an argument with a vegetarian and it reminded him of me. Okay...that's where I knew the conversation would get iffy. He starts to say that he knows he is right and I'm wrong...but he knows I like to think I'm right.

(him) "You like to think you're right."

(me) "I believe in rights for all beings. I don't think there is anything to argue there."

"That's not true!" He said something about being able to take advantage of other beings.

(me)"Well, you wouldn't like your rights taken away, so why would you do that to others?"

(him) "Go into biology or something and get animals to talk so we can understand them and maybe I'll stop eating them."

(me) "They don't need to talk for us to respect them!! If you listen, they actually do communicate with us!"

"True, for some animals. (Here this guy has told me how he has held a chicken and at a point he did feel a bit bad for eating them...but lo and behold, here he is trying to be act like humans are the sh*t) But some animals like to be dominated."

(me) "I don't think you have a place to say that for them."

He said something about cows either needing to be dominated or not needing to, I forget which, but I was already scratching my arm in nervousness, contemplating leaving

(him) "But they do taste good! See these canines? These canines were meant for meat!" He kept pointing to his teeth.

At that point I was just beyond myself. Here I came with my friend to keep him company while he got food and he just downright degrades me and everything I stand for. When you degrade and devalue the animals, you also degrade ME because I'm a part of them. I see their pain and I feel it in my own heart.

I just said "I think I'll head back." and I turned around to leave.

"You won't! But you can if you want...."

And I did.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#12 Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
(I'm slightly crying now sad.gif )I'm really sick and tired of it. I think I should have just let him have it. I have walked away from him several times before for saying something comletely speciesist....but we soon got over it because he wouldn't leave me alone and he eventually made some sort of joke that I ended up laughing to. I'm FRICKIN sick and tired of it now....it's not cute...and it's not funny... He's not getting it.

Maybe a stern talking to would do it. The unfortunate thing is that if things go badly...I can't really escape him cuz he's on my floor...... OMG I just feel a bit oppressed right now. He is a very nice guy, but he is very good at manipulating you to stay near him. I feel for people in abusive relationships now...I know this isn't quite the same thing....but I can sense a slight resemblance to how I feel he treats my feelings. He knows I don't like it when he degrades the animals...so why does he continue to do it when he know s it hurts me?

In some ways...I think I need to woman up and just take charge...Let him know he doesn't get to have me as a friend if he is going to be a d*ck.

EDITED TO ADD: I think I'm just going to write him a note...because I honestly am not one to blow up on people. Even if they do so...it hurts me to do so :/ I now...annoying.
elsie182 and Riuma like this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#13 Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Here is what I wrote to him in a message. That I put on his door (paper closed out of courtesy, even though he doesn't deserve it.)

You don't get to have me as a friend if you are going to act like a d*ck.

I'm sick of you talking about the animals as if they are worthless pieces of **** here only to please your taste buds.

What HURTS me is being with people whom I'd generally considered good hearted and then hearing them make comments that are of the same nature of sexism, racisim, and every other form of oppression. It hurts me that by showing a compassionate alternative, many attack my views and refuse to change themselves, taking their stances of eating animals to their grave. It hurts me knowing that if I was an animal, you'd treat me as inferior.

And no, I can't tell you this in person as it's not in my nature to go off on people. It would hurt me to do so regardless of whether the person deserves it.

If this is too long for you to read, that's a shame. People generally make whatever excuses for not taking heed to an individual who tries to make the world a better place so they don't have to acknowledge their message and thus feel responsible for their actions. Well, I still keep trying because I know some will listen, not just to me, but the animals.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#14 Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,415
I'm so sorry, that sounds like an awful experience and it does sound like he was being an insensitive jerk. Good for you for writing that note and standing up for yourself and the animals! hug.gif
DTASFAB likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#15 Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Bohom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 318

So sorry, that does sound horrible. I'm with Werewolf, good for you sticking up for yourself and the animals!

Bohom is offline  
#16 Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Thank you both...I do feel a bit better now ^_^ I'm glad I can come here and have people who understand!

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#17 Old 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Did you mean to post this in a different thread? I know what case you're talking about, BTW.


No, I meant it here.  I rather thought it fit with the general mindset I have met among omnivores.


"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#18 Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

 But some animals like to be dominated."

mad.gif  The whole "animals like to be eaten" sentiment just makes me sick.  Its right there with the "Africans and other non-white people need to be civilized" argument of racism and the "women need to be put in their place, shown how a real man loves/ she was asking for it" argument of sexism and rape.  This kind of talk convinces me that speciesism as a form of oppression is intimately related to human forms of oppression. 


"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#19 Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

mad.gif  The whole "animals like to be eaten" sentiment just makes me sick.  Its right there with the "Africans and other non-white people need to be civilized" argument of racism and the "women need to be put in their place, shown how a real man loves/ she was asking for it" argument of sexism and rape.  This kind of talk convinces me that speciesism as a form of oppression is intimately related to human forms of oppression. 


I totally understand you. That's how I see it as well.  It doesn't seem to click with this guy though.  He responded back to my note apologizing, telling me he was just joking, that he always is, and that he even agrees with veganism (yet he's too much of a lazy a$$ to go vegan) but he SHOULD HAVE KNOWN I don't take animal rights jokes lightly.  Talk about pouring salt into someone else's wound....disgusting. Why would you joke about anyone's suffering or oppression? I responded back to him saying that he even if he has no f*cking idea what it's like being oppressed, the least he can do is not be a d*ck and show some empathy for others' suffering.

 

Until he gives me a better "apology" than what he gave me, I won't be talking to him anymore.


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#20 Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 PM
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post


I totally understand you. That's how I see it as well.  It doesn't seem to click with this guy though.  He responded back to my note apologizing, telling me he was just joking, that he always is, and that he even agrees with veganism (yet he's too much of a lazy a$$ to go vegan) but he SHOULD HAVE KNOWN I don't take animal rights jokes lightly.  Talk about pouring salt into someone else's wound....disgusting. Why would you joke about anyone's suffering or oppression? I responded back to him saying that he even if he has no f*cking idea what it's like being oppressed, the least he can do is not be a d*ck and show some empathy for others' suffering.

 

Until he gives me a better "apology" than what he gave me, I won't be talking to him anymore.


That's hardly an apology at all!  And his "jokes" were nothing but, they were a vicious psychological defense mechanism against perceived criticism on your part, critcism you tried at all costs to avoid.  It's like people making racist joke and then saying "but I have a black friend!"  Obviously if he agreed with veganism he would not denigrate it so.

 

Perhaps it was the domestication of animals that started it all.  Domestication first started in Mesopotamia and it is interesting to see that Mesopotamia was also where patriarchy, slavery, and imperialism were invented as well.  Some of the same techniques, like castration, fettering, hobbling and branding have also been used in slavery and isn't patriarchy all about controlling the sexuality of women, like breeder would control the sexual lives of the animals under his subjugation by gelding males and establishing pedigrees?  I just wish more people that were against racism and sexism would realize that both of these human oppressions rely on the foundation of the much more pervasive speciesism.  It seems clear to me that man first learned to dominate animals, then used the same techniques to dominate women, slaves and non-whites.

 

Anyways that was just me thinking aloud.  I am glad you are standing up for yourself.  When it comes to comments likes these I'm a bit like you.  I don't like to make a fuss, I don't like getting into heated arguments with people.  So I just let it slide most of the time.  Sometimes I think that strategy just makes them bolder.  They think "oh he ain't gonna say anything back, he'll just take it like the woman he is" (excuse the sexist expression, but this, I feel, is their reasoning).  I can almost read this line of thought in people's faces at times and it frustrates me that I'm not more assertive but hey, I am who I am and I hope just eating differently then they do will be a light on the hill that will one day get them to think and someday maybe even lead to a revelation.

hollycat likes this.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#21 Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post


That's hardly an apology at all!  And his "jokes" were nothing but, they were a vicious psychological defense mechanism against perceived criticism on your part, critcism you tried at all costs to avoid.  It's like people making racist joke and then saying "but I have a black friend!"  Obviously if he agreed with veganism he would not denigrate it so.

 

Perhaps it was the domestication of animals that started it all.  Domestication first started in Mesopotamia and it is interesting to see that Mesopotamia was also where patriarchy, slavery, and imperialism were invented as well.  Some of the same techniques, like castration, fettering, hobbling and branding have also been used in slavery and isn't patriarchy all about controlling the sexuality of women, like breeder would control the sexual lives of the animals under his subjugation by gelding males and establishing pedigrees?  I just wish more people that were against racism and sexism would realize that both of these human oppressions rely on the foundation of the much more pervasive speciesism.  It seems clear to me that man first learned to dominate animals, then used the same techniques to dominate women, slaves and non-whites.

 

Anyways that was just me thinking aloud.  I am glad you are standing up for yourself.  When it comes to comments likes these I'm a bit like you.  I don't like to make a fuss, I don't like getting into heated arguments with people.  So I just let it slide most of the time.  Sometimes I think that strategy just makes them bolder.  They think "oh he ain't gonna say anything back, he'll just take it like the woman he is" (excuse the sexist expression, but this, I feel, is their reasoning).  I can almost read this line of thought in people's faces at times and it frustrates me that I'm not more assertive but hey, I am who I am and I hope just eating differently then they do will be a light on the hill that will one day get them to think and someday maybe even lead to a revelation.

 

Hence why I'm not talking to him.......he's such a hypocrite and he doesn't even realize the words that come out of his mouth are so disgusting and make me think that if he lived in a society where rape and the oppression of woman was more prevalent, "more socially acceptable", like eating animals is, he would be participating in that.

 

You make some good points about the domestication of animals. I wish others would realize it too, that all forms of oppression are basically within the same mindset, and they are all bad. I really hate patriarchy...it's what is so wrong with the world. I don't understand how men got to be in such power. I guess because they generally have more "strength" over a woman and were able to exert more control...that's the best guess I have as to why woman couldn't have just shoved it right back up their a$$.

 

I have made a fuss in certain situations but it takes a lot of courage and my adrenaline is just flaring when I do. I dunno, it's just the thought of "me" actually being the different one in a herd, pointing out something that most people don't think about, and don't really want to. I hope so too, that your friends will think back on their own eating habits when they get off their high horse and ease down their defensiveness a little since they should realize you haven't really been on the attack. Keep doing what you do, but I'd say don't be afraid to try to speak up for the animals too if you can manage. It makes me feel better when I do, even if it's hard due to societal pressures.


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#22 Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744

I remember reading somewhere that before the agricultural revolution religions were more based on the life-giving power of women and there were a lot of goddess religions.  Societies also tended to be matriarchal  With the advent of agriculture and empires like Sumer, Akkadia and Babylon, male-centered religions became popular with the male god killing the monstrous female god and creating the world from her, like the story of Marduk and Tiamat.  Needless to say I think it would be nice to go back to the old ways.  Not that we have to change religion or something but, whatever religion you are (or not), we should find someway to celebrate the feminine.  The current world we live in has been created entirely from masculine values... and look where thats got us.  War, slavery, slaughterhouses, empires, genocide, you name it.


"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#23 Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

I remember reading somewhere that before the agricultural revolution religions were more based on the life-giving power of women and there were a lot of goddess religions.  Societies also tended to be matriarchal  With the advent of agriculture and empires like Sumer, Akkadia and Babylon, male-centered religions became popular with the male god killing the monstrous female god and creating the world from her, like the story of Marduk and Tiamat.  Needless to say I think it would be nice to go back to the old ways.  Not that we have to change religion or something but, whatever religion you are (or not), we should find someway to celebrate the feminine.  The current world we live in has been created entirely from masculine values... and look where thats got us.  War, slavery, slaughterhouses, empires, genocide, you name it.


+1


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#24 Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229

AGAIN?

 

Omg...so another idiot from my floor looked at the stickers on my laptop and read the one that said "All animals deserve life." and he chimed in "Hmm, yeah all animals deserve life, until I get hungry."

 

OH MY F*CKING GOD! I told him to get out!......I guess I wasn't firm enough cuz he laughed it off. I really hate to say it and I know people can change their ways like I did, but these comments are making me feel that all people who think like this are worthless, self absorbed pieces of sh*t.

 

I can tell my anger is just building up...I'm just waiting for it to reach the tipping point...and the furry of 4ever comes out....nobody better double cross me...it's getting close.


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#25 Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Vegetarian
 
Erratus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 276

I hate jokes like that too. Well, it is more the complete disregard they feel towards an animal's life. I would feel a lot better about those kinds of jokes if they came from a veg*n since I would know that they meant only as a joke, and in all honesty did in fact value an animal's life. Not that I hear a whole lot of veg*ns making jokes like that, but the concept stands that they would only mean it in jest. When an omnivore makes those kinds of jokes it will flare my temper like nothing else in the world because they mean it to a large extent. If they honestly valued an animal's life, they would pay to end them for something as frivolous as wanting something that tastes yummy. I was leafleting and I was saying something along the lines of "help animals". Someone called back "Help them taste better I hope". It really disturbs me how they just simply don't care. It almost makes me seem like I am the crazy one sometimes. Crazy or no, I could never again live with myself if I started eating meat again. I like to believe that if we took these people on a field trip to a slaughter house they would change their tone. Maybe just for a day, but they would at least stop laughing at the horrible suffering if they had to look the victims in their eyes.

Erratus is offline  
#26 Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratus View Post

I hate jokes like that too. Well, it is more the complete disregard they feel towards an animal's life. I would feel a lot better about those kinds of jokes if they came from a veg*n since I would know that they meant only as a joke, and in all honesty did in fact value an animal's life. Not that I hear a whole lot of veg*ns making jokes like that, but the concept stands that they would only mean it in jest. When an omnivore makes those kinds of jokes it will flare my temper like nothing else in the world because they mean it to a large extent. If they honestly valued an animal's life, they would pay to end them for something as frivolous as wanting something that tastes yummy. I was leafleting and I was saying something along the lines of "help animals". Someone called back "Help them taste better I hope". It really disturbs me how they just simply don't care. It almost makes me seem like I am the crazy one sometimes. Crazy or no, I could never again live with myself if I started eating meat again. I like to believe that if we took these people on a field trip to a slaughter house they would change their tone. Maybe just for a day, but they would at least stop laughing at the horrible suffering if they had to look the victims in their eyes.


Yeah I hear you. That sucks what that guy said to you when leafletting... I don't know what I would have said back. I think some people are just "raised" to be apathetic and not care about anyone but themselves. Or maybe they feel powerless so they are just going with the flow of that...kind of like "learned" helplessness that I feel a lot of people have got ingrained in their systems by those in power as a way to keep the masses under control against revolt.


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#27 Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

AGAIN?

Omg...so another idiot from my floor looked at the stickers on my laptop and read the one that said "All animals deserve life." and he chimed in "Hmm, yeah all animals deserve life, until I get hungry."

OH MY F*CKING GOD! I told him to get out!......I guess I wasn't firm enough cuz he laughed it off. I really hate to say it and I know people can change their ways like I did, but these comments are making me feel that all people who think like this are worthless, self absorbed pieces of sh*t.

I can tell my anger is just building up...I'm just waiting for it to reach the tipping point...and the furry of 4ever comes out....nobody better double cross me...it's getting close.
Ok, I just have to point this out. If you're trying to avoid conflict with meat eaters, going around advertising that you're veg*n by putting stickers on your laptop isn't the way to do it. You may as well walk around with a sign that says "Come debate vegetarianism with me!"

I started a new job nearly two months ago, and I don't think a single one of my coworkers knows that I'm veg*n yet. I just don't want to have those arguments with them, or find myself hating people that I have to work with every day. If I become friends with any of them, I'm sure it'll come up eventually, but I'm not really close enough to any of them for it to have come up yet.

I'm not saying that it's ok for those people to come up and harass you. They're still jerks. But there are jerks in every crowd, so why do something that will attract them to you, and give them an excuse to show off what big jerks they are?

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Riuma likes this.
Fromper is offline  
#28 Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591

Isn't it sad that we feel like we can't put vegetarianism stickers on our property because of rude people? I have a "Veggie" decal on my car, it hasn't incited a riot yet tongue3.gif Does that mean every Christian wearing a cross or with a Christian sticker on their property is asking for a fight? No.

SiberianTigress and Riuma like this.
danakscully64 is offline  
#29 Old 11-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,012
Sad, yes. But for someone who gets upset about being attacked constantly, it's best to just stay under the radar and not have to deal with it.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Opolitlo and Riuma like this.
Fromper is offline  
#30 Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post


Ok, I just have to point this out. If you're trying to avoid conflict with meat eaters, going around advertising that you're veg*n by putting stickers on your laptop isn't the way to do it. You may as well walk around with a sign that says "Come debate vegetarianism with me!"
I started a new job nearly two months ago, and I don't think a single one of my coworkers knows that I'm veg*n yet. I just don't want to have those arguments with them, or find myself hating people that I have to work with every day. If I become friends with any of them, I'm sure it'll come up eventually, but I'm not really close enough to any of them for it to have come up yet.
I'm not saying that it's ok for those people to come up and harass you. They're still jerks. But there are jerks in every crowd, so why do something that will attract them to you, and give them an excuse to show off what big jerks they are?
--Fromper
juggle.gif

 

 

I understand what you are saying but I want to be an advocate for the animals, so I actually DO want people to come up and discuss with me on it. I like the stickers on my laptop. I want to save these animals, so I feel like I shouldn't keep their suffering in the dark by not making at least some sort of statement. However, there is a difference from discussing and being a jerk. The jerk comments are the ones that make me upset. Yeah, there are jerks in every crowd, but they aren't going to stop me from sticking up for the animals, that's probably what they want me to do so they can keep oppressing them and not having to be reminded about their actions.


To me, keeping quiet would be like seeing someone get  verbally assaulted, wanting to stand up for them,  but being backing down because you are worried about getting disheartening comments from the jerks that are doing the harassing.

 

700


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
Reply

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off