Average American eats 864 pounds of meat yearly which can't be sustained economically or environmentally - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Beginner

The sad part is most Americans probably know this and believe it, yet won't do anything about it. Doesn't this qualify as Einstein's definition of crazy?

http://www.industryintel.com/news/read/3368193000/Average-American-eats-864-pounds-of-meat-each-year.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Beginner

I find this implausible. 864 pounds of meat 2.36 pounds per day. That would probably be too much even if you ate nothing but meat. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization puts U.S. meat consumption at about 270 pounds per year, which I still find rather amazing (three quarter pounders a day?). (Source: Economist)

I tracked down the supposed source of the 864 pounds figure on VisualEconomics. It seems to be based on this page. The only way I could get an 864 pound figure is by adding all of the meats, cheeses, eggs, and non-cheese dairy products. The non-cheese dairy products are the majority -- 600.5 pounds. I'm really not sure what that is, though. Beverage milks are only 181 lbs, and cheeses are in their own category. I wonder where the other 419 lbs comes from.

#3 Old 07-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Oh cool, I follow Josh Tetrick on FB. He seems like a neat guy, I'm curious to try this Beyond Eggs product I keep hearing about.

864 pounds does sound pretty wonky, but I agree with the general message. I hope plant based products start catching on with the general public.

I mean, from what I've read you can use this Beyond Eggs stuff in baked goods and not only does it taste the same but it costs less. How cool would it be if the big companies decided it was more cost effective to stop using eggs? Good for us and good for the chickens smitten.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4 Old 07-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Yeah, I think it's simply impossible to continue eating the amount of meat that we do without resorting to factory farming.  

#5 Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Beginner

I was at the super Walmart today.  I saw a woman pushing a shopping cart that was full mostly of meat.  It was all kinds of meat which led me to believe that she was buying it for her family and not for like, the night shelter or something.  It blew my mind to see so much meat in a shopping cart.  It equaled the mass body weight of a few animals.  She was real pale and unhealthy looking.  Go figure.  

#6 Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

I was at the super Walmart today.  I saw a woman pushing a shopping cart that was full mostly of meat.  It was all kinds of meat which led me to believe that she was buying it for her family and not for like, the night shelter or something.  It blew my mind to see so much meat in a shopping cart.  It equaled the mass body weight of a few animals.  She was real pale and unhealthy looking.  Go figure.  

Was it Mary Wharton?

#7 Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

Was it Mary Wharton?

laugh.gif

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#8 Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Was it Mary Wharton?

Holy crap!!!  If you're bad you get reincarnated as their colon.. 

#9 Old 07-04-2012, 07:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Was it Mary Wharton?

What? No! I didn't want to believe this was real...D:

#10 Old 07-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I find this implausible. 864 pounds of meat 2.36 pounds per day. That would probably be too much even if you ate nothing but meat. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization puts U.S. meat consumption at about 270 pounds per year, which I still find rather amazing (three quarter pounders a day?). (Source: Economist)

I tracked down the supposed source of the 864 pounds figure on VisualEconomics. It seems to be based on this page. The only way I could get an 864 pound figure is by adding all of the meats, cheeses, eggs, and non-cheese dairy products. The non-cheese dairy products are the majority -- 600.5 pounds. I'm really not sure what that is, though. Beverage milks are only 181 lbs, and cheeses are in their own category. I wonder where the other 419 lbs comes from.

IDK why advocates (of anything) use exaggerated figures (that don't even pass the smell test) to support their claims. Makes it real easy to discount anything else that comes out of their mouths.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page