Any other vegeterians getting tempted by meat? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Beginner

Heya ppl, it's been a while JJ here. I just wanted to know if other vageterians get tempted to have meat, and more to the point if you do, any tips on resisting temptation? I struggle most when I smell it. Any help rly apreciated!!

XxxjjxxX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Beginner

better than a vagiterian at least.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Beginner

I am dyslexic, I will make spelling mistakes alot. I feel realy conscious about it now thanks. I'm not feeling so great at the moment rly helped. Any actual help, pls people do comment. Thanks xxx
#4 Old 05-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectjjxxx View Post

I am dyslexic, ...

Ok, sorry. Thanks for explaining your situation.
#5 Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Beginner

In what situations are you most tempted?
#6 Old 05-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

better than a vagiterian at least.

I know lots of guys who would gladly become vagiterians.
#7 Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Beginner

I am dyslexic, I will make spelling mistakes alot. I feel realy conscious about it now thanks. I'm not feeling so great at the moment rly helped. Any actual help, pls people do comment. Thanks xxx
#8 Old 05-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Beginner

To answer your question, maybe if you watch something like "Meet your Meat", you can recall those images every time you want meat. If you try to think of the suffering that goes into it, that really might help. I have no trouble saying no to meat these days (I used to.) Something just clicked for me and meat as a possibility doesn't cross my mind. It just isn't an option.
#9 Old 05-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling View Post

To answer your question, maybe if you watch something like "Meet your Meat", you can recall those images every time you want meat. If you try to think of the suffering that goes into it, that really might help. I have no trouble saying no to meat these days (I used to.) Something just clicked for me and meat as a possibility doesn't cross my mind. It just isn't an option.

Ye, meat = suffering and not pleasure. That is enough not to want to eat it.
#10 Old 05-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Beginner

I crave meat often enough, but not to the point where I actually seriously consider eating it. When I do crave meat, I am obviously hungry, so I'll just fill up on vegetarian food and the problem is solved for the moment. As was mentioned, if you look at the meat as an animal and not just food, that also tends to be a big turn off. I picture the butchering process, starting with the panicked and pained cries of the animal, the bloody slaughtering of it, and then the hunk of meat suddenly looks like something more suited for a Saw movie than a dinner plate. There are plenty of videos to give a fresh, clear imagine of this, Meet your Meat being one of the bigger ones, and there are others easily found on Youtube.
#11 Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Yes, perhaps try working back. Consider what you're tempted to eat, do some research on how it got near your lovely nose (peta, etc.) and surely if you can accept the truth and how it makes you feel then you should just chomp away.
#12 Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Think of the people you love, the children, the babies-think of them in cages that barely fit. Teeth, testicles, cut with shears. Kicked in the face. Babies dragged from mothers soon after birth. Standing, often without room to move in their own feces and urine.
Prodded into trucks, and train cars, so full often their feet don't touch the floor. Sometimes so cold they freeze to the walls. Sometimes so hot they perish before the end. Herded into slaughterhouses to their permature deaths.
After witnessing the killing of others, they get a bolt to the head, ankles tied, the rope hoists their bodies upside down as a knife slits their throat. The only hope is death comes quickly.

If you still want meat, scrape it off the road.
#13 Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Beginner

You've been vegetarian for almost a year now right? Are these temptations new or have they frequently popped up during that time?

As for the cravings, have you tried mock meats?
#14 Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Beginner

I would read a book about vegetarianism like Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer and watch some documentaries. If your've never seen it, Earthlings is a good one to make you not want to ever use or consume animal products! But beware, it's pretty hard to watch. One thing that helped for me is to find something with a similar texture to meat. Experiment with fake meats. Also, keep in mind, what you are smelling most of the time with meat is the seasoning on it, not the meat itself. Unless you smell bacon, and even then, if you put a human on a bbq, we would smell like pork, yuck! Once you change the way you think about meat, the cravings go away.

Bread today is better than cake tomorrow.
#15 Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Beginner

I had a similar problem too in the beginning it was hard since my fiance isnt veggie. I found out that when i really wanted it was when i was really hungry. Potatoes work for me or chili or something really filling and hearty. i don't struggle with it as much anymore it hit me two weeks ago when i was feeding a sick dog chicken at work ( i work at a vet clinic) that the chicken smelled horrible. Then my fiance cooked bacon i was asleep it woke me up and turned my stomach i couldn't go back to sleep for a while. Just keeping saying no to yourself and hopefully you'll get though it.
And I feel ya on the spelling thing i have the same problem i spell check everything its annoying. But try not to let people bother you about it but i know how hard it is not too.
Good luck

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

#16 Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mock Meats helped me a lot. I once caved for chicken strips and they didn't taste nearly as good as I had remembered them. Certain meats still appeal to me, but I've programmed my brain to not see them as food. It takes time to build this mindset.
#17 Old 06-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Beginner

OMG, I LOLed so hard! 

Seriously tho, I get tempted. For some reason the smell of Burger King makes me want to stop in for a tripple whopper with cheese. What's IN the burger is what keeps me out of the store.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#18 Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Beginner

I've been meat free for a year and I haven't been tempted to eat meat at all. I see meat as dead animals and the images in my head (various photos and video) stop me from even thinking of eating meat. Try that whenever you feel tempted again.

#19 Old 06-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Beginner

I think for me the best thing is to immerse myself in vegetarian foods and things - like going to vegetarian/vegan events, trying new vegetarian foods, going to new health food shops and seeing what they have, or going to vegetarian resturaunts and trying lots of new things, things like that. I also find reading the section of veggieboards local to me and keeping an eye out for new exciting vegetarian foods people have found is great too - basically anything that makes me realise there are lots of new foods for me to try, lots of new flavours, lots of options.

I also think time helps. I know that isn't much help in the sort term, but over time I think you just forget about the foods you don't eat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page