VeggieBoards banner

Is this Vitamin Shoppe employee correct?

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Neowhite 
#1 ·
Last week I purchased Sun Warrior Raw Protein powder. The employee told me that if I bought this, that I needed to make sure I took some L-Carnitine. He also told me that the protein powder wasn't a complete protein, and that I needed to eat some fish or chicken with it. Now, I know THAT'S not true! But, I was wondering about the L-Carnitine comment... Does anyone know what he's talking about? I wish I could remember WHY he said I needed it... I just know that he said I definitely needed it, if I was vegetarian.

#2 ·
Carnitine is not an essential amino acid, as the body can synthesize it from lysine and methionine, both of which are present in the Sun Warrior Raw Protein Powder.

Though lysine is often lacking in vegetables, which might have been what he was thinking.

#4 ·
I think it is pretty standard that these people try to sell you more than you come in for. Every time I need to buy a supplement someone tells me I should also take something else or I will throw off my mineral balance or something. I just smile and say I already have some at home.

#6 ·
L-Carnitine is often recommended to people who buy protein powder because of it's role in converting fat into energy (or that's how I understand it). That's makes it useful if you want to lose weight or if you want to lift heavier weights at the gym.

I mix L-Carnitine with my protein shake before I workout and I notice the difference when I workout.

L-Carnitine is something that us vegetarians really struggle to get in our diet, I think we get on average 1% of a meat eater.

I work as a PT and I recommend to my clients Protein Powder, L-Carnitine and BCAA - and say everything else is a waste of time or is just doubling up on these things... But you don't really need it, it's not like anything bad will happen if you don't have it, and you wont notice a massive change if you do have it.

L-Carnitine is not like Protein Powder, where you can see the effective it has on your body pretty quickly, I mean if you were a high end body builder you'd be mad not to have it, but if you're the average person it's just an extra thing to help you along the way.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan0816 View Post

Just curious, but what are you wanting protein powder for? I don't think there is much food that doesn't have more protein than a normal person would need per day.
Protein powder is a great quick snack, helps control hunger and really helps put on a little muscle for those of us who want that.

I drink protein powder everyday and wouldn't go back to not drinking it. I eat less calories a day, I'm much stronger and healthier because of it... But I workout at least 5 times a week too.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowhite View Post

Protein powder is a great quick snack, helps control hunger and really helps put on a little muscle for those of us who want that.

I drink protein powder everyday and wouldn't go back to not drinking it. I eat less calories a day, I'm much stronger and healthier because of it... But I workout at least 5 times a week too.
Interesting idea.

#12 ·
Exactly what Neo said. I want protein powder because I try not to eat after 6pm, and after I workout around 8, sometimes I like to have a protein shake, instead of a meal. As a mother of 4, protein powder is very convenient, and it keeps me from grabbing unhealthy snacks when I'm busy and getting hungry :)

I am going to add L-Carnitine, based on your info, Neo. Thanks!

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowhite View Post

I also like protein shakes made with either berries or nut butters.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGobbler View Post

Exactly what Neo said. I want protein powder because I try not to eat after 6pm, and after I workout around 8, sometimes I like to have a protein shake, instead of a meal. As a mother of 4, protein powder is very convenient, and it keeps me from grabbing unhealthy snacks when I'm busy and getting hungry :)

I am going to add L-Carnitine, based on your info, Neo. Thanks!
Are you aware that L-Carnitine is only found in meat? Be sure to look for a completely synthetic supplement.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

i wouldn't get nutrition advice from a vitamin shopped employee, either.
to build muscles you must work your muscles.
I agree. I didn't take his advice. I posted a question here to see what you guys had to say about it. Not sure how muscles got thrown into the equation, but the employee didn't mention anything about building muscle. I think it was on someone's reply, actually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.