Beans and rice... are my portions ok? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Is one cup of dried lentils or beans rehydrated and then boiled (cooked) too much? I am planning on having them with one cup of brown rice... all dried measures i.e. one cup of dried beans and one cup of dried brown rice cooked.

I usually eat 3 meals a day and dont snack between meals. The beans and lentils will be for one meal i.e. tomorrows breakfast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Beginner

It's hard to know your caloric needs without more information, but I would suggest some fruits/veggies in there for vitamins/minerals/protein/good fat.
#3 Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Beginner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDu3_okN694

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#4 Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Beginner

You are looking at about 450 calories for the beans and around 220 for the rice. That seems like a lot of calories to me, but could be a good energy meal and keep you full for a long time.
#5 Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Beginner

One cup of dried beans and rice is going to give you around 2 1/2 to 3 cups of each cooked. That's quite a bit.
For me that would be at the very least 4 meals, and most likely more than 6, but I eat other things with my meals.

I would take what you feel you can eat of the cooked and freeze the rest in portion sizes. They're quick to thaw and easy to use (and healthier than canned).
tips: I usually make 1 cup portions because 1 to 2 cups are what I normally use in a recipe - also you should freeze them without a lot of excess liquid so you can take part of the food from the bag and leave the rest (think frozen corn from the store) It's handy when you only want a 1/4 cup.

I am my own bad companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page