I can't stay full - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Beginner

i can't stay full for more than 2 hours. I have been a vegetarian since 2 weeks before thanksgiving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Beginner

Hello there.

You'll have to tell us what you're eating during the day ?
#3 Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Yup, can you give a days typical intake? You might just need to tweak some meals to get a balance of protein and complex carbs. I have a very physical job and get hungry a lot, but upping my protein and changing the snacks I eat has made a huge difference.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#4 Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Beginner

Just speculating but sounds like too much sugar/processed flour. If so eat more whole foods with lots of fiber and add a few higher calorie foods such as nuts.
#5 Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

..........eat more whole foods with lots of fiber and add a few higher calorie foods such as nuts.

I agree! Whenever I start to get hungry, I eat a handful of almonds, and it takes the edge off. Then, I prepare a meal before I get too hungry again... usually something with beans and/or sweet/white potatoes. Talk about getting you stuffed!
#6 Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Beginner

whats the problem here? hungry...eat more. problem solved. =)

www.GoTeamGreenGo.com
Swim - Cycle - Run - Train - Live - Vegan
#7 Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Trendy View Post

whats the problem here? hungry...eat more. problem solved. =)

This. If you're hungry eat more! You're supposed to eat every 2 hours or so for energy anyway

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 AM
Beginner

Fiber helps you feel full, and whole foods take longer for your body to digest, so you feel satisfied for a longer period, plus it doesn't cause your blood sugar to spike and drop the way refined foods do, in that way that leaves you abruptly feeling hungry and drained of energy.
#9 Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Beginner

a regular day for me is..
breakfast.. rolled oats, wheat bran, flaxseeds
or
grits, wheat bran, flaxseeds
or
thin whole wheat bagel, cream cheese and banana
lunch.... salad with spinch or mixed greens, sweet banana peppers, red peppers, shrooms and quiona, raw blue cheese
or

stir fry with broccil, rice, green onions sweet and sour sauce and sweet potato
or
peanut butter sandwich
dinner........... veggie delite at subway
or
another salad

snacks............ raw cashews
fiber one bar
apple
orange
banana
16 sun chips
8 whole wheat pretzels
banna chips
kiwi
i do drink green tea and at least 12 cups of water a day
please let me know what i need to change or what i can add because i am open to trying new things or getting rid of some. btw i have only been a vegetarian for 6 months now.
#10 Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Beginner

I would add a hearty helping of legumes to your day! You could make a hearty black bean chili with a big chunk of crusty bread for lunch or dinner. Also, for breakfast, sometimes I have a medley of skillet potatoes, onion, bell pepper, and diced tofu in a tortilla with some salsa! Very filling!

Like Werewolf Girl said - if you're hungry, eat more. So, maybe increase your portion sizes, too.
#11 Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi. Sometimes I mistake thirst for hunger. This used to happen when i worked overnights because I didn't drink enough. You feel OK otherwise, and your weight and energy is OK?
#12 Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Beginner

You are not supposed to be "stuffing" your stomach.

I have been hearing lately that high fructose corn syrup contains a chemical that will signal to your brain that you are still hungry. Here is an article about a scientific study. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1016074701.htm

To summerize. It is possible that Fuctose causes leptin resistance. Leptin is a hormone that causes the body to balance its energy use. In a person who has become leptin resistent, the leptin does not turn off the hunger switch in the brain, so no matter how much you eat, you will feel starved.

Another possibility is that your diet may be too low calorie. The Hypothalamus is in charge of regulating hunger and satiety. Low calorie diets cause less leptin to circulate in the blood stream. The low leptin makes you feel hungry. A genetic mutation can make leptin not work. Your hunger never shuts off and you eat until you are very overweight. http://www.annecollins.com/Weight_Lo...ht-control.htm (another leptin link)

Sleep is another potential problem.

In this:
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...while-sleeping
This statement:
"In fact, have you ever experienced a sleepless night followed by a day when no matter what you ate you never felt full or satisfied? If so, then you have experienced the workings of leptin and ghrelin." From Web MD by Colette Bouchez

According to the article, not getting enough sleep will screw up your leptin signals, and your body will feel like you are always hungry.

So, you have 3 scenarios so far,

High Fructose Corn syrup in sodas or candy effecting leptin levels
Low calorie diet effecting your hypothalamus
Not enough sleep causing your leptin level to lower, causing hunger

Are you over weight? Is it possible you have sleep apnea? That can cause you to lose sleep without knowing it, and that would make the final scenario possible. Another possibility is partying all night long, drinking lots of colas, and not eating enough solid food.

Anyway, there are probably a dozen more "usual suspects."

It seems all these items are reverse-able. Eat more substantial meals (beans, potatoes and other heavy food), don't eat candy or drink cola, and get 8 hours of sleep per night at least.
#13 Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Beginner

What was your diet like before you became a vegetarian? How different is it now?

You're eating low GI which should keep you full longer, but there isn't a lot of protein in your current diet. Try adding some mushrooms, quinoa, soy beans, soy products, eggs or cheese to your diet. I use a protein powder to help me feel full, it's great as a between meals snack or before or after dinner to add a bit of protein.

If you're use to meat portion sizes, you might need to up them a bit - vegetarian food in general aren't as dense and have more water, so it takes a bit more to fill you up.

Also, try to mix up your meals a bit, and see what fills you up the most.
#14 Old 05-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Definitely drink as much water as possible, and maybe top up with little snacks to perk you up between larger meals. The water thing is huge, even for non-Veg*ns. The thirst reflex is stronger than the hunger one, but often times we mistake them. Also try drinking a glass with your meal to top you up.
#15 Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Beginner

If I don't have a grain like brown rice, quinoa, or barley, or some beans at every meal, I don't feel satisfied at all. Maybe you just need to bulk things up a bit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page