vegetarian to vegan - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-26-2004, 10:36 PM

I'll probally never become a vegan, because it seems so hard. But I was wondering how hard it really is. Here's some questions that I have

-are there any restrants that you can eat at?

-what are some egg etc. substatutes, and do they tast as good

-how hard is it to find recepies? can you simpally substatute fake eggs ect.?

-is it more expensive? how much more expensive, or cheaper, is it?

-is it temting to eat dairy?

-what typs of things have you cut from your diet that are home made? store bought?

-what reaction do you get from others?

-what kind of bread can you buy, and where do you buy it (regular grossery store, or somewhere else?)

-is nutrision a problem?

-how hard is it to eat at camps etc. when you are the only vegan, and they don't order speacial for one person? is it easy to find vegables to eat?

-what kind of cheases do you eat

-what is your favorite kind of soy milk?

-why are you a vegan?

Like I said, it'll probally be to hard and expensive for me, but tell me about it, and the cost of it compared to vegetarian!

If I do decide to become a vegan, then should I ease my mom into it? start with milk and move on down? (Note: I'm 15, and so I live with my mom. I started to drink lots of soy milk instead of milk from cows, but it is more expensive unless they have it at discount grocery stores, so sometimes I'll mix half soy and half cow milk. this also deleates some of the chalky tast)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2004, 09:41 AM

Hey jennifer! wow My name is Jennifer too and I became a vegan when I was 15..coming 16. I'm now 17 and a couple of months. So it's beena year and a bit. And I'm finding it fine! I really enjoy being a vegan. I feel healthier and full of energy. My family buy me about it a lot but, i just ignore them. You'd also get a lotta questions from your school friends! hehe, but most of mine think it's great that I have the will power.

If you're a big chocolate lover..well I wasn't...but every now and then i eat dark or plain chocolate and you can get easter eggs etc made of this..quite tasty.

I used to LOVE melted cheese. but now if i ate it....I'd feel greasy and gross! I don't miss it much at all and I eat pizzas A LOT without cheese. I cook for myself so I don't have to hassle my mum, but i love to cook so it's ok. You can find some really great recipes on the internet but i make up my own hehehe...

So im answer to your questions....

-are there any restrants that you can eat at? I eat at Pizza Hut...em..lots of indians and chineses, they all usually have good stuff if you ask what's in it..

-what are some egg etc. substatutes..... Well there is egg powder that i buy to bake with..it's quite good. Tofu can be scrambed up to taste like eggs. altho i don't like eggs taste so.. i don;t eat it much. tofu's also very good cos it has protein etc in it.

-how hard is it to find recepies? can you simpally substatute fake eggs ect.? I find it easy to find recipes..I said before and I just exlude eggs really from my diet. you can get fake cheeses too but they're not very nice.

-is it more expensive? how much more expensive, or cheaper, is it? I find it about the same price. but my mum buys her normal stuff and then mine so i don't really notice the prices differences etc. Soya milk and tofu etc can be expensive but basically i just live on veg, beans&pulses, nuts, soyamilk, rices, pastas.... you can vegan and dairy free biscuits at shops and they can be nice! and crisps...most crips are vegan too, as long as they don't have whey or milk powder in them.

-is it temting to eat dairy? No, well for me I don't find it tempting. I never used to drink milk much anyway. But i suppose chocolate and stuff might tempt some people in they are big choc addicts!

-what typs of things have you cut from your diet that are home made? store bought? Em, i exclude biscuits and choc bars etc. Home made stuff - em..like cheese toasted sandwiches, lasagne (with cheese on top - i make lasagne with bread crumbs on top instead, in fact I might have some tonight )

-what reaction do you get from others? Eveyone is very interested in it and ask me a lot. but I think it make them think more and well there is the odd person who bugs me about it..eg my bro and sister but friends and people like that usually respect it and buy me vegan choc for my bday etc

-what kind of bread can you buy, and where do you buy it (regular grossery store, or somewhere else?) I buy normal bread. I eat the bread that my family eats. Most bread is vegan but some like rolls and baps can have egg in them. I use bread a lot and it's good for ya

-is nutrision a problem? Em, only really for protein i have a problem..i never used to eat much beans, pulses or nuts and i used to straighten my hair and i found it was so weak that it was full of split ends. but recently i eat LOTSA nuts and pulses so it's getting better.you'd need a "multivitamin supplement" probably (but you may wish to just take it every other day rather than daily) You'd need that for Vitamin B12...which is found in animal products (but soemtimes it is added to cereales) and also for calcium and iron. You can research this sorta stuff on google it;s very good

-how hard is it to eat at camps etc. when you are the only vegan, and they don't order speacial for one person? is it easy to find vegables to eat? Well I was on a school trip for a couple of days a few months ago and the first night they gave me carrots and that was it! cos they did not know what i ate. so my teacher told me what i eat and they made me nice stuff. If you bring bags of nuts, bread, flapjacks, fruit and stuff then you can snack a lot. but if you explain well in advance they should cater for you.

-what kind of cheases do you eat: I don't eat any special cheeses. I tried a soy one once and it was not nice! But I don't miss cheese much now.

-what is your favorite kind of soy milk? I live in the UK and I drink provamel or sogood soyamilk and they are lovely and fortified with vitamins etc too.

-why are you a vegan? For animal rights reasons and health. There is much less saturated fats and you will also get NO dietary cholesterol if you have a fully vegan diet.

I also avoid leather and wool, but this you have to remember to take everything in your own pace. Every little thing you do will make a difference. so you may wish to go off different foods gradually. eg milk, then eggs, the stop wearing leather etc....It doesn't have to be a sudden change as some people find that hard. For me, i went vegan in 2 days. I stopped drinking milk and then stopped everything. A trial period may be good too. I gave myself a trial period of 3 weeks and found it was all fine so i've stayed vegan ever since. so, you can try it out and if you don't think it's for you. Then don't push yourself!

Goodluck! Let us know how you are going with it!

Jen

ps. you can make lovely buns and cakes with soyamilk, soyaflour and egg powder and coco powder etc. some good recipes on the internet mmmmm...i might make some later!
#3 Old 03-27-2004, 09:47 AM

It's hard if you make it hard.

#4 Old 03-27-2004, 11:09 AM

I thought the same way, I wanted to be vegan, but i knew i could never do it. then after i had been vegetarian for 6 years, i just couldnt eat dairy and eggs anymore, i hated myself for hurting those animals. It was much easier than when i went vegetarian. i'm still shocked at how easy it was.

the only two places i have found i just cant eat at are chick-fil-a and Mcdonalds, a huge loss *snicker*

When baking i use Ener-g when i want like scrambled eggs, i have scrambled tofu. i use firm crumbled with lots of spices, and its quite yummy. My omni b/f loves it.

I find the best things i make are adapted from their original version with vegan substutions.

I find that i cook a lot more for myself instead of eating lots of boxed or convenience foods. its really what you eat. pasta and sauce are cheep, fake meats and cheese, etc, is not.

not at all, dairy, mostly cheese, makes your brain produce opium like hormones, so you're litteraly addicted to dairy, it takes about 2 weeks for your body to forget this, and then you wonder what the big fuss was.

-what typs of things have you cut from your diet that are home made? store bought?

if i want sweets i have to make them from scratch, but if i'm not in the mood i can make pillsbury reduced fat cinnamon rolls, or fill their reduced fat cresent rolls with rasins and sugar and cinnamon and its really good. Tofutti and soy dream curb any ice cream cravings. my favorites are soy dream green tea flavor, and tofutti mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches. Also, if there is a gelato (italian ice cream) place near you, often the fruit flavors are vegan and wonderful, check that out.

mostly they ask me some questions, i hand them a why vegan, and they feel really bad about their eating habbits. Know your stuff and be ready to defend yourself. I've even had peers do projects on vegetarianism after talking to me and give why vegan to whole classes.

-what kind of bread can you buy, and where do you buy it (regular grossery store, or somewhere else?)

i buy meritta from the regular store, just read the labels.

-is nutrision a problem?

no more than it was when i was omni, and vegetarian. i have noticed that i dont get sick as often, milk makes you produce extra mucus, which was hell for my immune system.

-how hard is it to eat at camps etc. when you are the only vegan, and they don't order speacial for one person? is it easy to find vegables to eat?

when in doubt i bring my own food, but for the most part if i bring a main dish i can eat most of the rest of the mea.

i use a lot of nutritional yeast, when i want cheese, though i have found that guacamole and hummus stop any cheese cravings i might have (which is like once a month, though i often crave hummus and guacamole)

Silk

-why are you a vegan?

Ethical reason, environmental reason, i'm a giant hippy and vegan just makes sense.
#5 Old 03-27-2004, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

-is nutrision a problem?

no more than it was when i was omni, and vegetarian. i have noticed that i dont get sick as often, milk makes you produce extra mucus, which was hell for my immune system.

Oh yea! That's very true. I used to get LOADS of colds but now, hardly ever. Much less mucous and generally, better immune system!
#6 Old 03-27-2004, 01:53 PM

Well, maybe i'll go off one step at a time. Maybe i'll never be 100% vegan. I'm trying to get on soy milk, but it tasts bad, and it's hard to convince myself that it's not way to bad, and that I can live with it. eggs and milk will be the hardest, because they are in, like, everything. I'm still having cheese and yogurt and stuff with milk in them, but i'm drinking soy milk instead of cow milk when it's by its self. becoming a vegetarian wasn't hard for me, it was actually one of the easyest big changes I have ever made. I think that vegan would be harder, but then agian, I tought that vegetarian would be the hardest thing to do- ever.

You mentioned dark chocolate- is that vegan freindly? dosn't that have milk in it to?
#7 Old 03-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Work your way to skim milk and then gradually over to the regular rice milk. I don't even notice a difference. I eat it on cereal though, I don't drink it plain.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#8 Old 03-27-2004, 02:22 PM

dark chocolate -- REAL dark chocolate -- is vegan. however, lots of companies add milk to it for some crazy reason, so you just have to check. i always manage to find some REALLY good stuff though
#9 Old 03-27-2004, 03:32 PM

I think after awhile you'll get used to soy milk. I'm not vegan, but I don't drink milk, I'd have to say my favorite is Silk! Have you tried that brand? Get the plain or the chocolate. And Silk makes soy yogurt if you want to try it. You could try getting the soy cheeses, though most of them aren't vegan(they contain casien which is a milk protein), it's still a good step. I've been eating it, I figure it's better to eat soy cheese with just a tiny bit of dairy, rather then regular cheese.
#10 Old 03-27-2004, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer89 View Post

I'm still having cheese and yogurt and stuff with milk in them, but i'm drinking soy milk instead of cow milk when it's by its self. becoming a vegetarian wasn't hard for me, it was actually one of the easyest big changes I have ever made. I think that vegan would be harder, but then agian, I tought that vegetarian would be the hardest thing to do

I found that when i was just trying to reduce my dairy, that it was quite tempting, but that after i just said "no more, i'm going to be vegan" it was easier, i think it has to do with the mind set, if you feel like you're really making a difference, not just a partial effort, then its much easier to say "no cheese, no sour cream" every time you order something.
#11 Old 03-27-2004, 04:28 PM

well i have been a vegetarian scine i was 8( i realized the "truth" bout oldmacdonalds farm early on.

im now 14(yay) but 3 months ago i became vegan.

its very hard at first but very very very rewarding
#12 Old 03-28-2004, 01:14 AM

(Part I)

I feel like I'm violating policy and posting in the teens forum, LOL! But I'm happy to chime in, since you're looking for more responses than you would get there.

I know it's different for teens than for adults living on their own and working full time, so I'll try gear more response toward that:

Quote:

I'll probally never become a vegan, because it seems so hard. But I was wondering how hard it really is. Here's some questions that I have

First of all, I haven't found veganism hard at all. It has been frustrating at times, dealing with the many, many people who think that way (omnis questioning my lifestyle and so forth), but the actual process of going and staying vegan has been delightfully easy. I will add that I live in Los Angeles, and that makes it somewhat easier. It seems even easier in San Francisco, and I know it's easier in New York City. That said, where do you live? That makes a difference, obviously. Visit http://www.happycow.net to check out restaurants if there are any listings in your area. For the obvious chains:

Pizza Hut: Thin crust pizza, hold the cheese, and whatever veggies you like (it's surprisingly good, and many omnis have been startled to find this out when trying mine)

Taco Bell: Jeez, a lot of stuff. The guac is vegan, and so are the beans, so cut out the meat, cheese and sour cream, and go to town! Same goes for a lot of other Mexican chains, but be sure to check that the beans are vegetarian and that there's no sour cream in the guacamole.

Burger King: The BK Veggie isn't half bad (I take the pickles and mayo off mine and add mustard), and their fries are vegan, so you can get a combo there, just like your omni pals. In California (and maybe surrounding areas, I'm not sure), Mickey D's is test-marketing a so-so veggie burger that is vegan, and will serve in a pinch.

Subway: Their veggie sandwich is vegan if put on the correct bread (I'm blanking on which one now 'cause I never go to Subway), and you use the dairy free dressing (also blanking... check around on the web, because I know I've read what the right combo is).

Nicer, sit-down restaurant chains:

PF Chang's (Chinese): If you have one of these around you, it's amazing. Their veg food is prepared in a separate kitchen area, never touching the same surface and instruments as meat, and most of the vegetarian options are also vegan... and delicious! A favorite.

There's more and more restaurants every day that are carrying more vegetarian options that are easily made vegan by dropping the cheese or whatnot. Also, if you're trying to be more vegan than vegetarian, that doesn't mean you have to be 100% vegan (technically an impossibility right now anyway).

For instance, if none of a restaurant's dressings are vegan, and they don't have oil & vinegar, I wouldn't berate myself for having an Italian dressing that has a smidgen of cheese in it (though I'd probably skip the salad altogether, personally... that's just me).

Italian can be a good choice, but make sure with the manager or head chef before going out that they don't use butter on everything, and make sure you're clear that you don't want parmesan added to your pasta dish. This happens to me all the time. It doesn't say anything about parmesan on the menu, and they don't ask (yeah, these aren't the classiest joints in the world, but still somewhat expensive restaurants where you think they'd know better), so this angel hair pasta shows up on my table with cheese on top, even after I've made sure they don't toss their pasta in butter because I (in my exact words) "don't eat dairy"!!! So, I guess you can call that hard, but I just think it's a pain in my ass.

Anyway, keep in mind that some chefs at better restaurants love cooking off-menu, but call ahead to make sure. When my family went to Disneyland the day before my wedding, we went to Goofy's Kitchen for brunch, which was not very vegan (maybe fruit, oatmeal, etc., but they didn't even have margarine). Fortunately, I had called ahead, and the manager told me that their chef frequently made vegan meals for someone in management that works there, and was a vegetarian himself (I think). Oh. My. God. The vegan curry pasta he made for us was unbelievable. Our whole table was impressed! And my wife, who hates curry, finished her whole meal!

Finally, you have more control over what you eat and deal with fewer questions by eating at home, not to mention you have a better idea what kind of nutrition you're getting. No one should eat all their meals out. It's too hard to make sure you're consuming a balanced diet.

Quote:

I don't really use egg substitutes. If you mean for cooking, most of my recipes don't call for eggs, though some do call for egg substitute. This seems to be the replacement of choice, but my wife and I have only needed it once, so it sits in our cabinet, unused now:

http://www.differentdaisy.com/nexter...g-replacer.htm

I can't vouch for how it works or tastes, because I haven't used it in so long! Veganism opens you up to a whole new world of tastes and cooking, which is why the next question is so good.

Quote:

Go here first:

http://www.vegweb.com

Many fine recipes, a number of which are in regular rotation in my household now.

Again, don't worry about pretend foods too much, especially since you're coming from vegetarianism. Some omnis like to transition with mock meats. I know I did. But you're already not eating meat, so you know what it's like to eat in a different way already. Veganism is merely a further refinement of what you're already doing.

Quote:

I'd suggest it's cheaper than vegetarianism, but people's grocery bills are a very personal thing. I could never compare my grocery bill to yours. There's no way it'd match up. I do know that my bill did not change meaningfully going vegan from omni.

Quote:

The only thing I missed going vegan was cheese, and I haven't missed it in a long time now. Some people use the vegan "cheese" slices from Tofutti or other brands, and I hear great things about Tofutti's vegan "cream cheese" (I've seen it disappear at brunch parties faster than anything on the table, so it must be good).

I never missed milk, though. I found a soy milk very early on that I liked, and kept trying them all over time to be thorough, and settled on Whole Foods Markets' Vanilla soymilk when I go there. If I have to go to another market, I get Silk Vanilla, which is a very close second, IMHO. Both varieties are also made with organic soybeans, which is nice.

Also, soy creams (soy ice cream) are surprisingly good. When we found Soy Delicious, we knew for sure that being vegan was going to work. I've since discovered Double Rainbow's Soy Cream, but it's a little harder to find sometimes. It's less expensive and tastes better than Soy Delicious, and they have huge chocolate chunks in their mint chocolate chip, which is my all-time favorite flavor.

BTW, Earth Balance margarine is AMAZING. I think even non-vegans would get addicted to this stuff if they tried it.

End Part I. Part II concludes this response in the next post.
#13 Old 03-28-2004, 01:15 AM

(Park II)

Quote:

Er, I cut meat, eggs and dairy out of my diet, so no more bacon, meat sandwiches, scrambled eggs, etc. Of course, there's analogues for all these things now, if you want 'em, but I tend to eat other stuff instead, like lots of fruit, waffles, vegan pancakes, oatmeal, cereal with soymilk, PB&J (I never realized how nutritious it really could be!), etc. Instead of having a roast for dinner, I have something more exotic and interesting, or I'll cop out and be lazy with a mixed green salad topped with seitan, mapled pecans or toasted pine nuts, and balsamic vinaigrette (like I did tonight).

We're baking cookies tomorrow from a great recipe we found at VegWeb, and we've even done brownies before that were quite good.

Quote:

"Wow! Good for you!"

"I could never do that. That's terrific that you do."

"Isn't that kind of extreme?"

"Where do you get your protein?"

"Why?"

"Vegan? What's that?"

"But meat's so goooood!"

"Really? I never would have guessed. You don't look vegan!"

Stuff like that.

Quote:

All kinds of stuff. Can be trickier to find at the regular markets, but once you've found your brand through diligent investigation you know which one to get from then on. I shop 99% of the time at Whole Foods Markets, followed by Trader Joe's, then the regular Ralphs grocery store a block for me when we need something like Silk in a pinch. I remember trying to find bread at Ralphs was tricky, because honey, milk, and/or whey (I think it was) are all fairly common bread ingredients in the less healthy, overly processed breads typically sold on that aisle.

My bread of choice for months now I discovered at Trader Joe's, and it's also sold at WFM. It's Alvarado Street Bakery's Sprouted Barley bread. MMmm. Makes great garlic bread.

Quote:

-is nutrision a problem?

Not for me. Helps to have some key information though:

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."

-- J Am Diet Assoc. 2003;103:748-765 (http://www.eatright.org/Public/Gover...s/92_17084.cfm)

http://www.vegetariannutrition.net/

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/index.htm

http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info/

For athletes:

http://home.pacbell.net/epski/vegan/...VegAthlete.pdf

http://home.pacbell.net/epski/vegan/...ition/cf-e.pdf

BTW, this is a doc about making the switch to a vegetarian diet, but it sounds to me that you never made the initial switch successfully in the first place, so it should be helpful to you:

http://www.vegetariannutrition.net/f...vegetarian.pdf

Also, Veg Starter kits might fill in any gaps, and most have recipes:

http://www.vegetarianstarterkit.com/

Quote:

Hadn't ever occured to me, and I'm glad you brought it up. I would definitely speak to the appropriate people running the camp in advance, and even research the possibility that camps exist with those alternatives (might be more fun for you all around, actually). Strike up friendly conversations with those in charge and working the kitchen and see if they can prepare veggies and other nutritious, animal-free foods without forgetting to leave off butter and stuff. Also, make sure you pack your multivitamins and Clif or Luna Bars (everyone else will probably have icky granola bars).

Quote:

Well, cheese isn't vegan, so I assume you mean fakes. I mention a few above. I use Soymage Vegan Parmesan on my pasta a lot, so I should mention that one, too. It's surprisingly good (a lot of things I had never heard of before turned out to be "surprisingly" good).

Quote:

Think I also answered this already, above.

Quote:

-why are you a vegan?

First and foremost, sustainability - environmental issues like lack of resources and the inefficiency of raising meat for food, as well as the pollution of such practices. Second, animal welfare and, to a fairly strong degree, animal rights. Finally, health, for all the various aspects: reduction of risk factors for many standard Western diseases, resistance to antibiotics from over-injected animals, increase of beneficial foods in my diet from fruits, vegetables, and other health-promoters.

Quote:

Like I said, it'll probally be to hard and expensive for me, but tell me about it, and the cost of it compared to vegetarian!

First thing you would be better off doing is not throwing up your own roadblocks! You get enough people doing that for you. Become informed and keep a positive attitude!

Quote:

If I do decide to become a vegan, then should I ease my mom into it? start with milk and move on down? (Note: I'm 15, and so I live with my mom. I started to drink lots of soy milk instead of milk from cows, but it is more expensive unless they have it at discount grocery stores, so sometimes I'll mix half soy and half cow milk. this also deleates some of the chalky tast)

Your mother would likely be much healthier consuming a vegan diet, if she's up to it. She's likely beginning to enter a phase in her life where calcium from non-milk sources would greatly benefit her bones, and the increase in whole grains, fruits and vegetables will help reverse damage done to her body over the years that increase her risk for various cancers. Cutting out unhealthy foods like milk and eggs will lower her cholesterol and further reduce her risk of cardiovascular diseases. Vegan diets are healthy for everyone.

Just to comment on the chalky taste of soymilk, you must be drinking some nasty stuff. As bad as some of the brands I tried are, none of them were chalky! Not all brands are created equal. Try the brands I recommended if you can find them. If not, keep working your way through the brands that are available until you find one that works for you. Some never find that, and end up liking rice milk more. I think rice milk is too... "eh" for me. I dunno. Too plain, I guess. I haven't tried the same process of shopping around for a variety I like simply because I love Whole Foods' and Silk's soymilk too much to care about finding an alternative.

So, hope this helps, and good luck! Keep at it!
#14 Old 03-28-2004, 01:20 AM

Jeez. I hope I can find this post again someday. That's got to be the most thorough primer I've ever offered to a newbie...
#15 Old 03-28-2004, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

Jeez. I hope I can find this post again someday. That's got to be the most thorough primer I've ever offered to a newbie...

Epski, you're my hero!

#16 Old 03-28-2004, 08:52 PM

That was long post! thanks a lot! My mom agreed to something that i wanted to do so that she gives me some money and i buy my own food, this would leave my options more open, and would let me buy some more vegan foods. I sorda stopped on the soy milk, to tell you the truth, for the last two days or so. It's so chalky that it anoys me. But the other soy milk other then this one brand by my house is $3 for a really small bottle. If I drink as much soy milk as i do regular milk, then it would cost way to much money. I drink like one or two gallans of milk per week, because I really like how creamy it is. I can start to swich over to skim, my mom thinks that I nead to drink it anyways, because I'm over weight, and it would help me to not gain more weight. The soy milk that I drink now is only $1 per bottle, and it's the same size of the $3 bottles, though it dosn't tast as good. Mom gave me $20 for food last week, but she said that it would be more like $10 next week, and that it could always change if I nead more or less. I'll probally nead more. Any how, we'll see. Maybe I'll become vegan, but I'll probally wate untill next summer (not this one coming up) because then I'll have been a vegetarian for 1 1/2 years, and I'll have my licence. It is probally better for a 15-year-olds boddy not have to many drastic deit changes in such a short time (it's been three months now!!! That's not long, but you were all there ones, and it's not like i can just jump out and say that I have been one for 5 years. You were all there ones)

Anyhow, keep the posts coming! I can at least get more vegan-friendly things when I'm shopping. (BTW, I can't tell you where I live, but I can tell you that there's lots of hippies and vegetarians, and probally vegans who live here. I live way over in the eastern part of the US)
#17 Old 03-28-2004, 09:39 PM

haha i live really close to the punk/hippie capitol of the west, BOULDER! there are lots of cheap health stores around because of them. i love Boulder. I should throw them a parade for that. Oh yeah! tips for newb vegans. Well im a new vegan myself sorta...just go one day, one meal at a time rather. Dont think to far ahead or you might be overwhelmed. "one vegan day at a time!"
#18 Old 03-28-2004, 10:00 PM

I'm strict vegetarian (which means I eat like a vegan but don't do the lifestyle part of it), but I feel compelled to answer your questions.

And since I found this thread the V&V section, I don't feel badly about answering your post since I'm not replying in the teen forum.

-are there any restrants that you can eat at? Epski pretty much hit on that one well. I'm useless in that area since I don't eat at the national chains all that much - it's all "mom & pop" local stuff if anything. In a pinch, I like Taco Bell because that's the most compatable place around that I don't have to ask for too many alterations in order to eat.

-what are some egg etc. substatutes, and do they tast as good The stuff I cook with doesn't usually call for eggs. Tofu scrambles do well for a "scrambled omlette" approach and for things like egg salad sandwiches I go for either a mushed chickpea sandwich or an eggless egg sandwich. There are tons of recipes for both in the food section and they're all pretty good.

-how hard is it to find recepies? can you simpally substatute fake eggs ect.?I don't substitute fake eggs at all (except for the things I mentioned above) and finding vegan recipies is super-easy. Sites like VegWeb, vegsource, and vegmania have loads of things that a person can make. Check them out. There's some great stuff there.

-is it more expensive? how much more expensive, or cheaper, is it? In some areas, it's more and some, it's less. There are lots of threads around - mostly in Recipes or in the Frugal sections about not only what people buy, but also if their bill went down or up since going veg. For me, personally, it went down but each area is different so your personal experience may vary.

-is it temting to eat dairy? Not at all but then again, I'm highly diary intolerant so I'm not tempted at all by the thought of a migraine or stomach ache coming if I eat the stuff. For other people it's harder but each person is different so what happens with one may or may not apply to someone else.

-what typs of things have you cut from your diet that are home made? store bought?There's not that much that I had to cut from my diet that was home made. Most of the stuff we cook is easily veg'd without too much trouble. The only things I had to cut out were meat and cheese based things that I didn't like anyway so that was no trouble to me. Store bought, though, is another thing entirely. TV dinners, the "just add whatever" meals and stuff like that were out because of the things they put in them that I won't eat but that's okay to me - those things are not that good for a person, anyway so... no big loss, IMO.

-what reaction do you get from others?Very few hassles, a lot of questions and a couple of people telling me that it's the best diet out there, if done right. One person even told me of someone that was doing this diet to get her cancer into remission "so I know it's good if it can do that" (their words, not mine).

-what kind of bread can you buy, and where do you buy it (regular grossery store, or somewhere else?) So far, I've found that Fred Meyer bread and Orowheat Sandwich bread is vegan that I can tell. I'm still learning about stuff so I may miss some things, but they seem vegan to me so I buy them. My HFS is very far from me, so anything that I can't get at the store, I simply don't get. I'm pretty limited to what the stores carry and if I can't find bread that doesn't have milk protiens or honey, I go without. Plain as that.

-is nutrision a problem? Not at all. It just requires a lot of reading and understanding what a person needs to do to make sure they're getting what they need to get. PCRM.org and veganhealth.org are 2 good places to start in the gathering of information.

-how hard is it to eat at camps etc. when you are the only vegan, and they don't order speacial for one person? is it easy to find vegables to eat? Epski gave the best answer to that one. Also understand that vegans don't just eat veggies; they eat fruit, grains, deep green leafies so those things are an option as well in camp.

-what kind of cheases do you eat None. My diet is varied enough without them.

-what is your favorite kind of soy milk? Silk brand Chocolate soymilk. It's not cheap where I live, so that's a real treat to me to get it but that's the stuff I love the most.

-why are you a vegan? For my health. Done right, vegan style eating is the healthiest on the planet and the best in controlling a number of diseases and conditions. Also, in reading the medical journals, I find that people are always coming out with things like "dark (and milk/milk protiens-free) chocolate rises your anti-oxydant levels" or "cranberries aid in urinary functions". Never have I read anything about chicken, beef, fish or pork doing any of that for example. It's always the vegan foods that bring the health and the omni foods that take it away.
#19 Old 03-28-2004, 10:51 PM

Boulder rocks. Miss that town, Rebel Girl.

Stellar26, thanks!

Jennifer89... actually, let me post that separately so I can quote you, 'cause I see problems, honey!
#20 Old 03-28-2004, 10:59 PM

Quote:

That was long post! thanks a lot!

Glad to be of help. One of my missions in life is to help make it easier for anyone considering veg*nism to make the switch. I'm convinced that's the key to the long-term health of all of us, much less our precious planet.

Quote:

I sorda stopped on the soy milk, to tell you the truth, for the last two days or so. It's so chalky that it anoys me. But the other soy milk other then this one brand by my house is $3 for a really small bottle. If I drink as much soy milk as i do regular milk, then it would cost way to much money.

I don't think I've seen you mention which brand you tried that was so chalky? Could you share that with us? Are there really no other $3-$3.50 half-gallon brands at a store near you (or even the smaller aseptically packaged kinds for a couple of bucks)?

I'd also say that you should probably be drinking more water and less of any other beverage in your diet.

Quote:

I drink like one or two gallans of milk per week, because I really like how creamy it is. I can start to swich over to skim, my mom thinks that I nead to drink it anyways, because I'm over weight, and it would help me to not gain more weight. The soy milk that I drink now is only $1 per bottle, and it's the same size of the $3 bottles, though it dosn't tast as good

Whoa. You drink WAY too much milk, period. I mean, that's just bad for you! And, yes, definitely cut back and trim down the fat, because I'm sure it's not helping your weight at all! Anyway, good luck with all this. I think you can do it, but you're going to have to do it at a pace you feel comfortable with, obviously.
#21 Old 03-28-2004, 11:48 PM

-are there any restaurants that you can eat at?

It would be much easier to list the restaurants that I can't eat at. I eat out quite a bit, so I've never had a problem finding restaurants to eat at.

-what are some egg etc. substitutes, and do they taste as good.

nah. they work okay.

-how hard is it to find recipes? can you simply substitute fake eggs ect.?

yep.

That depends if you prefer rice, noodles and vegetables (cheap), or if you prefer veggieburgers and microwavable meals (expensive).

-is it tempting to eat dairy?

eh. so so.

-what types of things have you cut from your diet that are home made? store bought?

can't think of anything.

not much.

-what kind of bread can you buy, and where do you buy it (regular grocery store, or somewhere else?)

regular bread from regular stores.

-is nutrition a problem?

yes, often is for most new vegans. read up!

-how hard is it to eat at camps etc. when you are the only vegan, and they don't order special for one person? is it easy to find vegetables to eat?

I survive.

-what kind of cheeses do you eat

the ones I have atm all contain casein I'm afraid.

chocolate silk.

-why are you a vegan?

don't want to be responsible for animal suffering.

If I do decide to become a vegan, then should I ease my mom into it?

sounds like a good idea.

=)
#22 Old 03-29-2004, 06:06 AM

awesome
#23 Old 03-29-2004, 03:29 PM

Here's another link that's a good one to check out. It's at http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=HQ01596 and even though it says a lot of the stuff that we just went through (ok, a lot of the stuff that *Epski* went through ), there's also some great info in there as well. Especially the last section.
#24 Old 03-29-2004, 08:44 PM

yes boulder is great. Epski, did you ever go to the watercourse in denver? that must be the greatest vegan resturant ever. oo im hungry....grains become your friend when you go vegan...pastas...breads...yummm
#25 Old 03-29-2004, 09:31 PM

I wasn't vegan when I lived in Boulder, and I only went to Denver on Fridays to DJ my show on KVOD.

I had a pretty yummy vegan breakfast in Boulder last time I was there. Some place near the book store on Pearl Street, a couple of blocks from the Promenade area.
#26 Old 03-30-2004, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

I think after awhile you'll get used to soy milk. I'm not vegan, but I don't drink milk, I'd have to say my favorite is Silk! Have you tried that brand? Get the plain or the chocolate. And Silk makes soy yogurt if you want to try it. You could try getting the soy cheeses, though most of them aren't vegan(they contain casien which is a milk protein), it's still a good step. I've been eating it, I figure it's better to eat soy cheese with just a tiny bit of dairy, rather then regular cheese.

i totally agree. silk is the best. it has excellent flavor - i put their "plain" flavor in my tea, on cereal, everything. i think i could even drink it all by itself. check out their site for more info.

despite what i've read here, i actually like soy cheese. my favorite brand is veggie slices by galaxy nutrition. i swear i couldn't tell the difference between regular american cheese and the soy american on a grilled cheese.

also, check out tofutti cuties, readily available at trader joe's, whole foods, etc. they are my favorite dessert! you can get a coupon for a free box here.

separately, i'm thankful for your post because i am considering switching from vegetarian to vegan as well. i read this line on one of my favorite blogs that just gave me that extra nudge i needed: "eating eggs is like eating liquid chicken." blech.

best of luck to you and kudos for exploring this change with such passion. you can do it!
#27 Old 03-30-2004, 09:58 PM

I went vegan 9 years ago and thought it would be difficult to do - however, after sticking to it for 4 months I felt so much better it made it easier to continue. And then something weird happened that I did not expect. My tastes simply changed and now I could never go back.
#28 Old 02-21-2005, 09:59 PM

Awesome I love rice milk! I like have it everyday.
#29 Old 02-22-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Girl View Post

yes boulder is great. Epski, did you ever go to the watercourse in denver? that must be the greatest vegan resturant ever. oo im hungry....grains become your friend when you go vegan...pastas...breads...yummm

Hmm. I thought watercourse was an over-priced hole in the wall. Not terrible, but not great.

Angelica Kitchen...now that's the #1 vegan restaurant...
#30 Old 02-22-2005, 01:35 PM

Hi Jennifer'

Vegan Outreach has a stellar starter kit.

Please do not let the word "vegan" in it scare you.

The information applies just as much to vegetarians as

vegans. Just add milk and eggs if that is what you are into.

Vegan Outreach will mail you a very nice printed copy for

free. You can also download a pdf version for free or read

it on the web for free.

The kit includes unique and thoughtful essays by

Vegan Outreach founder Matt Ball that will help you

make vegetarianism a rewarding and lasting committment.

It has a better recipe section than most starter kits that

I have seen. Best of all it also has an up to date,

complete, easy to understand, and brief nutrition section by

Jack Norris, a vegan Registered Dietician.

Assuming you have a solid reason for starting veg*nism

the two best things you can do to make your commitment to it

last is to learn good nutrition and to learn to cook a small

set of recipes you really like.

Here is the url:

http://www.veganoutreach.org/starterpack

Vegan Outreach also hosts a web site of health articles

for people on plant based diets:

http://www.veganhealth.org

I would ignore the nutrition advice from other veg*n sites

on the web.

There are a number of web mavens who sound as if they know what

they are talking about and they really don't. There are also people

who I call "food cultists" who recommend certain types of vegetarian

diets for reasons that have nothing to do with ethics or

nutritional science. Unfortunately some "food cult" advice can

also be found on some of the Animal Rights sites on the internet.

Animal Rights sites also frequently give incomplete nutrition

information because they believe if they give people too much

information it will turn them away from trying vegetarianism. Many of

these sites also have out of date information.

Vegan Outreach takes the philosophy that if they tell people what

they need to know to be vegan and feel healthy that these

people will not quit being vegans thus increasing the number of vegetarians.

They research what they say and on of their founders is a registered dietician

who keeps up with the latest research.

HTH

My Blog: beforewisdom.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page