Is being a vegetarian worth it ? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2012, 03:26 AM
Beginner

Hello everyone,

i am 22 years old and have been a vegetarian for more than a year . I became a vegetarian not because i thought it would make a difference to the consumption of animals worldwide or anything relevant to that but because i really love animals ( NOT in a sexual way...) and thus i wanted to stop eating them.I cannot ignore the health benefits that i received after becoming a vegetarian such as :

- No acne , smooth skin
- When i sweat i don't smell like sh*t
- Nature calls are daily
- i lost more than 21 pounds

However what is really starting to test my patience is the fact that my sex life sucks meaning that i am not very "productive" and cannot last more than 10 minutes ( when i was a meat eater my endurance was very good so it's not a problem i had before ) . I have the same problem when exercising and i really can't stand this anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 AM
Beginner

There's no reason your endurance / energy levels should suffer. There are load of fit duracell bunny veggies out there (or energizer bunnies in North America). What is your diet like? Are you eating enough calories?

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#3 Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 AM
Beginner

I'm vegan, and in bed, I last for 8 days 11 hours 27 minutes straight each time, on average. And that is only when I'm using my famous "hanging from the ceiling with my legs" sexual position -- with normal missionary, it's more like 15 days and 7 hours on average.

I doubt your issue has to do with vegetarianism. It may only be an accidental correlation that you see. And even then, it would have to do with what kind of veg*n food you eat, not the fact that you don't eat flesh.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#4 Old 04-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

You mention during exercise, too, are you getting out of breath? If so, that may be something to see your doctor about. Have you started any new medicines or supplements?
#5 Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Beginner

Ah... sounds like you have other issues going on other than vegetarianism causing your problems. Vegetarianism would die a quick death if it screwing up one's sex life was widespread.
#6 Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Beginner

Breakfast : Oats,cashews,nuts,almonds,raisins,dates with whole fat milk then i have a green tea without sugar

Pre-lunch : a banana

lunch : lentils and a cup of orange juice

afternoon: sugarfree coffee

dinner : same as breakfast or boiled eggs

I don't think i have any health problems and no i don't take any supplements .
#7 Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Beginner

I wouldn't expect much energy on a vegetable-free diet, either.

I've been vegan many years and exercise 1.5-2 hours daily without a problem.

Try getting more calories and more greens.
#8 Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Beginner

It doesnt sound like you are eating enough.
#9 Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

It doesnt sound like you are eating enough.

That is an understatement.

You need a complete meal for dinner not just oatmeal or eggs.
#10 Old 04-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Beginner

I reckon you're anaemic (I'm a Dietitian and make it my mission to get veg*ns eating right)....you're reporting low energy (and do you get breathless easily?), poor diet - I'm sorry, this isn't me being rude but your food choices are very limited. Either go to see your GP for a full blood count or just start taking a multivit and do some serious work on boosting your fruit and veg intake, especially the green leafy variety. Don't take large doses of iron as the body isn't geared for absorbing whopping doses in one go, take it steady and you should feel better soon. As everyone else has pointed out, your calorie intake is also too low.
#11 Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Beginner

I'm not even a dietitian and I also reckon you're anemic!
Have the green tea by itself. Eat a variety of vegetables- esp. the dark green ones, and have them with vitamin C. Eat something raw every day.
Lentils, beans, tofu, tempeh, whole grains, quinoa
A variety of whole fruits.

Can you cook, or are you limited with resources?
#12 Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Thank you very much for your answers !

I can cook but nothing complicated , i usually cook lentils which are very easy...
The thing when i look at veggie diets , most of them have some weird stuff that i cannot find anywhere so yeah i am a bit limited ..
I dont feel comfortable eating raw stuff.. I think it's dangerous with the pesticides,bugs and stuff like that, i usually boil them for some time.

Also,no i am not running out of breath when exercising,i just feel like collapsing .
#13 Old 04-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Your profile says you live in England. Even a lot of pre-packaged foods there have labels if they're vegetarian from what I remember. Although I'm lost as to what strange things you're looking for...

Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
#14 Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kackleboe View Post

Thank you very much for your answers !

I can cook but nothing complicated , i usually cook lentils which are very easy...
The thing when i look at veggie diets , most of them have some weird stuff that i cannot find anywhere so yeah i am a bit limited ..
I dont feel comfortable eating raw stuff.. I think it's dangerous with the pesticides,bugs and stuff like that, i usually boil them for some time.

Also,no i am not running out of breath when exercising,i just feel like collapsing .

When it comes to eating any veggie or fruit, they should be washed. I soak in cold water with a splash of white (any) vinegar, then thoroughly rinse. I also certain things organic-like apples, celery, and others when on sale. Check out the worst offenders for pesticides.
Do have your iron and other nutrient levels checked- B12, D ...
Anyway, eat more veggies and fruit!
#15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kackleboe View Post

Hello everyone,

i am 22 years old and have been a vegetarian for more than a year . I became a vegetarian not because i thought it would make a difference to the consumption of animals worldwide or anything relevant to that but because i really love animals ( NOT in a sexual way...) and thus i wanted to stop eating them.I cannot ignore the health benefits that i received after becoming a vegetarian such as :

- No acne , smooth skin
- When i sweat i don't smell like sh*t
- Nature calls are daily
- i lost more than 21 pounds

However what is really starting to test my patience is the fact that my sex life sucks meaning that i am not very "productive" and cannot last more than 10 minutes ( when i was a meat eater my endurance was very good so it's not a problem i had before ) . I have the same problem when exercising and i really can't stand this anymore.

Sounds like a personal problem, dude.

Tam! RUGH!
#16 Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

You're not eating enough at all. Really.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page