I think lentils are making me sick. Will I be able to train that away? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Beginner

I don't know why, but I've eaten lentils several times and it usually results in a dull stomach ache. I don't want to give up on them though. They're so high in protein and fiber and they're so bloody cheap.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Do you think I could get rid of it gradually by just getting my body used to it? (eating a few a day, not enough to get sick but enough to get my body used to it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Beginner

First, are you sure they are fully cooked? They should be soft and not hard or crunchy in the middle. If they are undercooked, they will give you some problems. Canned or pre-cooked refrigerated lentils might be a good option to try if you aren't sure if this might be the problem.

Second, maybe you just aren't used to so much fiber. Try having a smaller serving more frequently.

Can you describe how you are cooking and storing them after they are cooked? Cooked legumes provide a good environment for bacterial growth if they aren't stored properly.
#3 Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Beginner

^^^ would agree with the cooking and the increased fiber issue. Do beans give you the same effect? You could switch to beans to see if it's just the legumes being an issue.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#4 Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Beginner

Do you have this problem with other pulses/beans too?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 06-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Beginner

I've only ate them in canned soups and once by themselves. I cooked them until they were soft and not mushy. I cooked them according to the instructions. (Well almost, I was inturrupted by an important phone call that required all my attention so I may have cooked them slightly more/less)

I put the leftovers in a piece of tupperware in the breadbox. Should I have put it in the fridge?

As for whether or not beans do this to me, I don't think so. I've eaten refried pinto beans before as well as bean quesadias but I haven't eaten a large variety of beans.
#6 Old 06-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Beginner

I think that if something causes you pain or illness(I'm assuming the lentils were properly cooked), then you might consider not eating it all.

I can eat French or red lentils, but I can't handle the green ones.

I can eat kidney beans and chickpeas, but black-eye peas make me horribly ill.
#7 Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonebolt View Post

I put the leftovers in a piece of tupperware in the breadbox. Should I have put it in the fridge?

Yes, they need to be refrigerated after cooking (or after opening if using canned lentils.)
#8 Old 06-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I've only ate them in canned soups and once by themselves. I cooked them until they were soft and not mushy. I cooked them according to the instructions. (Well almost, I was inturrupted by an important phone call that required all my attention so I may have cooked them slightly more/less)

As for whether or not beans do this to me, I don't think so. I've eaten refried pinto beans before as well as bean quesadias but I haven't eaten a large variety of beans.

It's possible it was the canned soup. Canned soup contains a ton of sodium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Yes, they need to be refrigerated after cooking (or after opening if using canned lentils.)

Yep! Always store these things in the fridge.
#9 Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Beginner

oh my gosh....how long did you leave them out in the breadbox??????? Did you eat them after they had sat out? You could have gotten food poisoning from bacteria being put in it from a spoon or something....glad you haven't been totally sick!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#10 Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Yes. Cooked foods should be refrigerated within 2 hours of making them. You can keep them in the fridge for 3-5 days. That doesn't just apply to lentils, but any cooked foods at all (pasta or rice dishes, casseroles, etc.). There really aren't a lot of foods that can be stored at room temperature -- only things like bread, whole raw potatoes/onions, and some whole raw fruits and veggies (although many will keep better in your veggie drawer in the fridge).

Did you get sick when you ate them just after they were cooked, or only after eating leftovers? My guess would be food poisoning is the cause of your troubles, not the lentils themselves.
#11 Old 06-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Beginner

I only ate them after cooked. I'll throw the leftovers out.

My mom (doctor) told me that my body probably just isn't used to eating so much fiber at once and that it will probably get used to it if I work my way up gradually.
#12 Old 06-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Beginner

It was a while before I could drink soymilk. It just made me so gassy. Over time, and temprarily using some digestive enxyme supplements, my body got used to it and I was better able to digest it.

It really seems like you're body is only going to bother making enzymes for foods you normally eat.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to find some "Red Field Peas." They are small and flavorful beans, easy to make, you don't have to soak them, and they can be used interchangeably with lentils in recipes (just allow for slightly longer cooking).

If you really want to add lentils into your diet, just add a little bit of them into normal bean-based dishes. Like, bean dips, burritos, chili, etc... Just add a small amount of lentils.

Edited to add:
There are different kinds of lentils, too. My Mom and I can't handle red lentils. Ugh... We both get so sick. We just can't digest them, and we don't really want to try!!!

I do well with green lentils, and my absolute favorite is French Lentils!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page