Do Taco Bell's beans contain lard? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2004, 05:48 AM

I eat their bean burritos often 'cause they are so convenient and cheap , but sometimes I will examine the beans and something just doesn't look right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2004, 05:55 AM

I doubt if you can acctually see lard if there is any in it.

Does the taco bell company have a website?

If so, look at the faq or mail them
#3 Old 02-16-2004, 05:55 AM

No, they don't contain lard.

They have a website, but no ingredient listing. But you can call 1-800-TACO-BELL if you want verification.
#4 Old 02-16-2004, 05:58 AM

They have a website, but no ingredient listing. But you can call 1-800-TACO-BELL if you want verification.
#5 Old 02-16-2004, 10:37 AM

NO LARD = confirmed many times.

The cheese does not contain rennet.

But.. the guacamole and sour cream may contain gelatin.. I have heard that rumor before.
#6 Old 02-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Veg

Are the tortillas at Taco Bell made with lard? Sometimes tortillas contain lard. I was also wondering if the beans and rice cup contain lard or anything else animal related? I am too lazy too call the 800 #, but maybe I will.

Veg
#7 Old 02-16-2004, 10:53 AM

The guacamole is safe too, it's starts its life in powder form. It's mixed with water. The light sour cream contains gelatin.
#8 Old 02-16-2004, 02:12 PM

monkeyandbunny is right.

And, yes, it has been confirmed numerous times that there is no lard in their beans.
#9 Old 02-16-2004, 05:26 PM

I used to eat the rice quite often. Then, I got some one day and found pieces of meat in it--I took it back and asked for another cup, thinking that maybe somebody had accidentally dropped some in. But, my next cup had the bits in it too. I don't know if it's always in there--I had never seen it before--or if somebody scraped leftovers into the rice. Regardless, I swore off the rice after that.

But, the beans are safe. The VRG lists it as lard-free on their page.
#10 Old 02-16-2004, 05:37 PM

the beans are safe

tortillas are safe

they removed gelatin from the guacamole awhile back.
#11 Old 02-16-2004, 07:11 PM

I just called them and was told that vegans can eat...

Soft taco, bean burrito, Bean tostada (all without cheese)

Mexican Rice, fiesta salsa, seven layer burrito (without sour cream)

Pizza sauce, red sauce, & green sauce
#12 Old 02-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Veg

All right...7 layer vegan burrito, going to get me one...at first I was thinking. Then, I got to think, do I really want to patronize a restaurant that sells so many dead animals? Then I started thinking, well, if we don't buy from this type of restaurant, and buy it vegan style, how can we show a good influence, and a good example and see change? What do ya'll think? I think I will try one.

Veg
#13 Old 02-16-2004, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg View Post

Then I started thinking, well, if we don't buy from this type of restuarant, and buy it vegan style, how can we show a good influence, and a good example and see change?

xactly.
#14 Old 02-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post

I just called them and was told that vegans can eat...

Soft taco, bean burrito, Bean tostada (all without cheese)

I'm a little confused. The soft taco has meat in it. Do you mean a soft-shell burrito?
#15 Old 02-16-2004, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg View Post

All right...7 layer vegan burrito, going to get me one...at first I was thinking. Then, I got to think, do I really want to patronize a restaurant that sells so many dead animals? Then I started thinking, well, if we don't buy from this type of restaurant, and buy it vegan style, how can we show a good influence, and a good example and see change? What do ya'll think? I think I will try one.

Veg

This is my philosophy. Vote with your dollars. Let businesses know your preference. Become a large enough, vocal enough, and monied enough minority to be addressed and served.
#16 Old 02-16-2004, 10:12 PM

"I'm a little confused. The soft taco has meat in it. Do you mean a soft-shell burrito?"

I don't know...I only wrote down what the person told me. Please double check for yourself!
#17 Old 02-16-2004, 10:27 PM

The main item I get at Taco Bell is a soft taco with beans substituted for meat. I assume that is what they meant.

They never ask questions or seem like it is something they never heard of. It is basically a soft burrito shell, beans, cheese and lettuce. Very good and the only thing I will really eat there.

Here is a question:

When I eat the bean burrito (beans, onion, sauce, cheese), I notice that the beans are very liquidy. But when I order any other product with bean, I get a harder, thicker, dry style bean.

This has been on my mind for at least a year. Do they just use beans prepared in 2 different ways??
#18 Old 02-16-2004, 10:31 PM

I've never noticed that myself.
#19 Old 02-16-2004, 10:34 PM

question about the "guacamole":

does anyone know if it actually contains any avocado at all??
#20 Old 02-16-2004, 10:53 PM

good questions actually.. i sure as hell hope so..
#21 Old 02-16-2004, 10:55 PM

we got a taco time here in my town. do they have any vegan **** ?
#22 Old 02-16-2004, 11:15 PM

we got a taco time here in my town. do they have any vegan **** ?
#23 Old 02-17-2004, 01:00 AM

"does anyone know if it actually contains any avocado at all??"

The person that I spoke with read all of the ingrediets of the guac. to me, and yes, avocado is the #1 ingredient (surprisingly )
#24 Old 02-17-2004, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

xactly.

Asking restaurants to make choices available to vegans is not effective, from a goal-oriented animal friendly point of view?

That's sad because a lot of restaurants here started out vegan or vegetarian and then had to make meat choices available to survive.

<--- I reread the point. Good -- I am glad to know asking places that serve meat to offer vegetarian items is seen as an effective way to let our point of view be shown. (I thought the argument is that we were still supporting a restaurant that served meat and were therefore indirectly supporting meat, but I see it more like a vote, as was said.) I won't go into how many people get my order totally wrong... I once got a bowl of beans, hold the beans. :S

Froggy
#25 Old 02-17-2004, 01:19 AM

I don't understand your question Froggy. I do think it's effective to support vegetarian options in restaurants and stores. It shows the owners that there is a profitable market for vegetarian food.
#26 Old 02-17-2004, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I don't understand your question Froggy. I do think it's effective to support vegetarian options in restaurants and stores. It shows the owners that there is a profitable market for vegetarian food.

Reply editted above.
#27 Old 02-17-2004, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

That's sad because a lot of restaurants here started out vegan or vegetarian and then had to make meat choices available to survive.

I saw that happen to one of my favorite new restaurants last year. The transition didn't work for them, though. They went out of business anyway. If they'd given their vegetarian clientele more time to find them, they might have done better. You really need to be able to afford to lose money for a copule of years when opening a restaurant.
#28 Old 02-17-2004, 03:06 AM

Also when it comes to Taco Bell don't forget you can order anything "Fresco Style" and they automatically replace the cheese with their fiesta sauce, which is a combination of tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
#29 Old 02-17-2004, 06:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post

"I'm a little confused. The soft taco has meat in it. Do you mean a soft-shell burrito?"

I don't know...I only wrote down what the person told me. Please double check for yourself!

Well, I'm positive that if you go to Taco Bell and order a soft taco, you will receive a soft-shell tortilla with taco meat, lettuce, and cheese, which is not vegetarian.
#30 Old 02-17-2004, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magyka View Post

Here is a question:

When I eat the bean burrito (beans, onion, sauce, cheese), I notice that the beans are very liquidy. But when I order any other product with bean, I get a harder, thicker, dry style bean.

This has been on my mind for at least a year. Do they just use beans prepared in 2 different ways??

I assume the red sauce makes the beans more liquidy or something. It's really like industrial glue or something! It's like surgery to open the burrito to put sauce inside. I usually get the 7 layer w/o onions, sour cream, and tomatoes (and sometimes cheese); the bean burrito (beans only); or the Mexican pizza w/ beans, no meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page