What cheeses are suitable for vegetarians? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Beginner

aaaa

Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks Timmsks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Beginner

Not trying to play semantics or anything here, but since you are in the vegetarian forum, not the vegan forum, I assume you eat dairy?

If so, most cheese if fine to eat. What specifically are you trying to avoid?

Vegetarian since 1/4/2010

Did you know that 1 in 100 babies are born with a congenital heart defect? Mine was 1 in 100.....proud mom to the strongest kid I know!!
#3 Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Beginner

That really depends on what kind of cheeses do you prefer. I'm a die-hard cheese lover (shame on me, I guess...), but I try to be careful when buying cheese. Always double-check the ingredients - the cheese you're after usually will be marked "Made with vegetarian rennet".

I tend not to trust supermarket's "V-suitable for vegetarians" marking, at least not on cheeses, although maybe I'm too cautious...who knows.
#4 Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Parmesan, Grana Padano, and Gorgonzola are NEVER vegetarian. Other than that, it depends on the company if they use vegetarian rennet or not.

http://cheese.joyousliving.com/
#5 Old 10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Beginner

Try Sargento brand cheese...
Most Sargento shredded and sliced cheeses and refrigerated natural cheese snacks are made with non-animal rennets. The only Sargento natural cheeses that may contain animal enzymes are those that contain Romano, Provolone, Asiago, or Jarlsberg cheeses. We only buy the Colby and cheddar and hen i called and asked they said it was made with non animal rennet
#6 Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Beginner

Though I can admit the cheese on the pizza I ate last night may or may not contain enzymes since it was just sitting in the fridge.
http://static-resources.goodguide.ne...rge/247493.jpg

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#7 Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

This.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#8 Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have a Costco near you? A lot of their Kirkland Cheeses are rennet free, it says on it which are (which I LOVE). It's also affordable.
#9 Old 10-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmsks View Post

Please don't give me the whole "milk isn't actually vegetarian, it's unhealthy", yada.
I already get enough of it in life, don't need it from fellow vegetarians.

If anyone gives you a hard time in the vegetarian section, don't hesitate to use the report button. Milk is vegetarian and this is the vegetarian support section, so harassment is not allowed
#10 Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Beginner

this is the list(s) I used to use:
#11 Old 10-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Whole Foods sells Parmesan made with vegetarian rennet, so veggie Parmesan does exist.

Unfortunately, not so widespread as it could be. Most people (well, most omni, at least) don't even realise why would any cheese not be vegetarian. I've tried to explain all that several times, but mostly all I got in response was "whaa??" looks
#12 Old 10-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmsks View Post

Please don't give me the whole "milk isn't actually vegetarian, it's unhealthy", yada.
I already get enough of it in life, don't need it from fellow vegetarians.

Fair enough, but considering that all vegan pseudo-cheeses are going to be vegetarian too, there's no reason you shouldn't try a couple of brands of vegan pseudo-cheeses, try them out and see if you like them, and keep getting them if you do or not if you don't. (Daiya currently seems to be most popular, and I like it. I kinda like Vegan Gormet. I have some Teese, but haven't yet tried it.)

I'm not saying "don't eat vegetarian dairy-cheeses." I'm just saying "consider all possibilities, dairy, soy, or what have you." Of course, there's the possibility that you'd already tried some, and don't like any; in that case, never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Heart Mom View Post

Not trying to play semantics or anything here, but since you are in the vegetarian forum, not the vegan forum, I assume you eat dairy?

If so, most cheese if fine to eat. What specifically are you trying to avoid?

Mostly calf rennet, I'd guess.
#13 Old 10-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I accept that it might not be as widespread as it could be. I was just responding to the comment that Parmesan was never vegetarian. When, in, fact, it is available, as I've got two containers of it in my fridge right now; they say "vegetarian" very clearly on the lid. (One grated, one shredded.) I was pleasantly surprised when I found it at the store.

Actually I've never tried it Can I ask is there any difference from original Parmesan in texture/colour/taste when you use it in food?
#14 Old 10-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Whole Foods sells Parmesan made with vegetarian rennet, so veggie Parmesan does exist.

This is an obnoxious technicality, but I don't think it's "real" Parmesan if they use synthetic rennet. If someone is worried about the origin of rennet in cheese, they should probably avoid all Parmesan in restaurants because it's highly unlikely it'll be vegetarian. Source: "In order to be called ‘Parmesan’ this has to be produced according to traditional methods which use calf rennet." (http://www.vegsoc.org/info/cheese.html)
#15 Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Beginner

Quote:

The grated is much better than the grated stuff from Kraft, it is not dried out/powdery.

SOOOOOOOO true. Vegetarian or not, but IMO any cheese is so much better bought in a block, not sliced/grated/powedered or whatever.

Will definately try to find good vegetarian alternative for Parmesan, I used to love that cheese. Thanks for the advice!
#16 Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Beginner

I'm not sure if you have Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in Canada. I find that stores which specialize in healthy or organic food will have more accurately labelled products. In th US, that is the case.
#17 Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

Parmesan, Grana Padano, and Gorgonzola are NEVER vegetarian. Other than that, it depends on the company if they use vegetarian rennet or not.

My friend found a Gorgonzola at Whole Foods with vegetarian rennet but they only sometimes have it.

ÂNothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul. - Oscar Wilde
#18 Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Beginner

Since when is Milk not vegetarian? if someone is telling you it's not vegetarian because it's not healthy they really have no idea what they are talking about. To be a vegetarian doesn't mean you have to eat healthy, means you don't consume meat.

A lot of cheeses are rennet free, you just need to check with the supplier, some even tell you on the label.

Kindest Regards,

Vegantigress

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#19 Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Beginner

It's not that simple

The problem is they usually don't specifically label cheese as "made with vegetarian rennet" (at least here, in the UK) . In major supermarkets I've seen this labelling only on one type of cheddar cheese and one type of feta I think... but others have the common "V-suitable for vegetarians", even cheeses like Stilton (which is commonly made by calf rennet). It's kinda easy to be mislead here
#20 Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post

It's not that simple

The problem is they usually don't specifically label cheese as "made with vegetarian rennet" (at least here, in the UK) . In major supermarkets I've seen this labelling only on one type of cheddar cheese and one type of feta I think... but others have the common "V-suitable for vegetarians", even cheeses like Stilton (which is commonly made by calf rennet). It's kinda easy to be mislead here

No it isn't. If cheeses here have the V or say suitable for vegetarians, then they are made with microbial rennet and not animal. That's why they don't have to specify it further in the ingredients list - they've already told you it's vegetarian.
#21 Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

No it isn't. If cheeses here have the V or say suitable for vegetarians, then they are made with microbial rennet and not animal. That's why they don't have to specify it further in the ingredients list - they've already told you it's vegetarian.

Well...yeah, guess you're right. After all, it's quite rare to see cheese without "V"... I just like to be double sure
#22 Old 11-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Beginner

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but what other cheeses are suitable for vegetarians other than the ones on that list? That can't be all of them, right?
#23 Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan414 View Post

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but what other cheeses are suitable for vegetarians other than the ones on that list? That can't be all of them, right?

Some people have named some throughout the thread, but we don't know about grocery store brands. I know Publix has some rennet free cheese, but I don't know if you live near one of those. Most companies in America just list "enzymes" which may or may not be rennet. Trader Joe's labels their cheese too. I recommend contacting the companies for individual products
#24 Old 11-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Beginner

I had a weird experience recently. I was in Sprouts Farmers Market looking for a block of animal rennet free cheese, and I found some packages of Tillamook block cheese. Tillamook is supposed to be one of the "good" brands because they will label their packages "made with no animal rennet", but all of the Tillamook packages at Sprouts only stated "enzymes" without specifying what kind of enzymes. There was nothing on the packages about not containing animal rennet. I didn't want to take a chance, so I didn't buy any of them. I ended up buying a package of sliced Horizon cheddar; it seemed to be the only cheese in the store that was specifically labeled as not containing animal rennet.

*this space not for sale*
#25 Old 11-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Weird. Maybe they were the ones that did contain rennet (some do) and they didn't want to label them as such.
#26 Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTigress View Post

Since when is Milk not vegetarian?

Some vegetarians class some milks as non veg friendly (like full fat for example) as it contains fat cells from the cow I believe.
I could be wrong.
#27 Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's just the fact that some people mix up the definitions of vegan and vegetarian or try to pressure vegetarians over to the vegan side.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page