question [Difference between brewers' yeast and nutritional yeast] - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-18-2010, 04:46 PM

on another board I'm on, someone was asking about the difference between nutritional yeast and brewer's yeast. nobody was answering (except to say they don't know), so I told her I'd ask here to see if anyone could answer that for her.

thanks in advance if anybody knows, if not, well, I tried to be nice

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

I searched online and found this:
Quote:
I'd like to confirm that the three HFS in which I shop (in Atlanta) all insist that brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast are the same thing. Surprisingly though, they do carry both, and they are labelled correctly.

The brewer's yeast is always in the vitamin/mineral section, and the nutritional yeast is in brown bags, typically with the bulk foods. (I understand that nutritional yeast is light sensitive, hence the brown bags.)

To reinforce this misnomer, even the recipes published by the esteemed Dr. and Mary McDougall call for "brewer's yeast"! I don't know if this has been corrected in their newer books, but their original books helped to spread this confusion.

Nutritional yeast tastes and smells good right out of the bag. (Brewer's yeast does not.)

Try some nutritional yeast on popcorn! Sprinkle or squirt lite soy sauce on air-popped popcorn and then sprinkle on the nutritional yeast, by the tablespoon. My husband, dog, and I fight over who gets to eat the yeast remains in the bottom of the bowl. :-)

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4vMbHUBTLo

Go to 1 minute.
#3 Old 09-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Definitly not the same. Brewers yeast has a lot of B's but not B12. This link was very informative:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/b...ast-000288.htm

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

#4 Old 09-18-2010, 05:08 PM

I found that same link but couldn't listen because my speakers blew and I have no headphones, but I did give it to her. and thank you both I'll give her the other info.

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
#5 Old 09-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Definitly not the same. Brewers yeast has a lot of B's but not B12. This link was very informative:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/b...ast-000288.htm

Many brands of nutritional yeast don't have B12 either, especially out of the US.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page