When you hate your job so much you feel sick - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Kiz
Beginner

No idea what forum this should go into... health? My job makes me feel sick. Relationships? Sort of...?

Anyway, what do you do when you loathe your job so much you can sleep and going to work makes you feel sick and depressed? What do you do to cope?

I swear, I've tried everything. I used to love this job, when I first took on this position it really was great. It was a demanding role, but it has lots of variety, a small tight knit team that worked together to support each other, good bonuses, good hours. Over the last few months they have restructured it to hell. Now it is boring, monotonous monkey work - the team is bigger so instead of a job with lots of variety, one person has the do the same thing over and over. We used to be able to swap our work around and help each other out but with restructuring we can't. I mean, seriously, we are flat out not allowed to help another team member out even if they are drowning and we are twiddling our thumbs. Instead of us all supporting each other we are now in pitted, daily competition with each other. Now, to get bonus (which is still good) we have to fight each other, instead of helping each other. My hours now officially suck.

To top it off, we now have a really stupid email system called Genesys, which feeds you your emails one at a time instead of the usual way of Outlook where you can go through and pick the most urgent. This is a newspaper I work for, so we have serious deadlines, too. For example, it is 9:50, deadline is at 10:00. There are 3 URGENT emails in there to be completed before 10, but I can't get to them. I have to do the 25 emails for next week first, really fast and frantically, before I can get to the emails I should have done at 10am. Instead of dealing with emails in order of urgency, you do them as first come first served (yes, even for spam) and the whole system just breaks if you do otherwise. No, seriously, this is how it works. (It's not me, everyone else hates the new system.)

I'm not the only one on the team who is utterly miserable. At least half the team are actively looking for new jobs, sick leave has skyrocketed, everyone looks miserable and unhappy at work, which makes everything so much worse. Because people are taking so much time off we all have way too much to do. That's the ONLY thing stopping me from calling in sick again tomorrow, I know my off-sider will be swamped if I do.

I just can't cope anymore. I hate my job now. I've brought it up with my supervisor, my manager, with HR, I've applied for another role in the company, I've been looking for outside work. I have got other job offers but for less pay, in hind sight I should have taken them. I'll get another job, I know, but I want to hang in there for the right one.

But how in hell do I cope in the mean time? I am miserable. Can I take stress leave? How do I go about doing that? What more do I have to do to hammer home to the company they are making my working life miserable?

It's 3:27am and I can't sleep because I have to go to work tomorrow, again. I feel sick and teary and have a headache... but I can't call in sick because of the horrendous amount of work that would fall on my co-worker if I did, plus the horrific amount that would be left for me on Thursday. Ugh!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

I worked at a newspaper where the same thing happened, but because of seniority (union requirements) I got laid off. But it was a miserable three or four years before I did get laid off. Everybody has different coping mechanisms. Mine was that as soon as I left the office, my thoughts about work disappeared. I had to do this to keep my sanity. Sadly, I stopped worrying about the job and its duties and the ridiculous things that happened because it would have made me nuts. I had to stop worrying about things I couldn't control, which as a rule isn't easy for me. I worked out a LOT because I found it helped relieve the stress. I would walk sometimes 7 or 8 miles a day so I'd be tired enough to sleep when I did get off work. I had to accept that things would never be the same in the newspaper biz, and that, too, was a difficult pill to swallow. With the economy being as it is, it's not as easy to change jobs, but if you're really that miserable, consider a job or career change. I'm still laid off, but I went back to school for a paralegal certificate and hopefully I'll find a job using my new education. The market sucks right now, but it's got to give at some point. Good luck. I know it's not easy.

ETA: Oh, and complaining to your boss likely won't help. He's probably in the same boat as you are and doesn't want to hear it. It's hard to bite your tongue, but sometimes you just have to.
#3 Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Kiz
Beginner

I've pretty much always just left work at the door on my way out of an evening. Stressing about my job out of work hours is pretty new...I guess I'm looking at ways of stopping that. I am looking at new work... it will just take a while to find the right job at the moment, that's all. It will happen. I'm just going nuts in the mean time.

I think I just want to vent, and yell, and think of reasons NOT to just hand in my resignation in the morning.

By complaining to the boss I'm not whinging, I'm being "pro-active" and seeking promotions, or sideways movement within the company. This is going to sound idiotic, but it's hard to get moved when you are really good at a hard job. Not many people on the floor are consistently making targets, smashing budgets, exceeding forecasts, but I am. I'm one of the only people to make bonus and to get a pay rise, so it's not all bad, but it also means they seem loathe to move me out of this position (that I hate) because I am one of the few people making as real success of it. The losers are shifted to to easier positions real fast. And while they are cutting back everyone else's hours, they have me over a wringer trying to make me to do more, because they know I make them a profit.

If I do this job full time I'll go nuts. Nuts, nuts, nuts! And I've been pretty much ordered to go full time now.

My head hurts, I just need to know how to cope until I get something better.

#4 Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Beginner

I remember hating my last job towards the end. I was there over 10 years, and the first 5 or 6 were great. But the company kept shrinking, with annual layoffs every year since the .com crash, and they kept piling the work on all of us, expecting us to stay late and work weekends to get everything done, not training us on the new technology we were supposed to use (The CEO actually told us in a company-wide meeting "Go buy a book" in response to a question about training), etc. It became ridiculous. Finally getting laid off after surviving the first 6 or 7 rounds of layoffs was pretty much the best thing that ever happened to me.

I don't have any useful advice. If you've got the money saved up to survive without a paycheck for a few months, maybe just quit and go job hunting. I know I looked around a little bit while I was at my last job, but being unemployed was the kick in the butt I needed to really get active in my job search. But that could be a risky move in this economy.

Whatever you do, good luck! Just try not to stress about it when you leave the office.

--Fromper

#5 Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Beginner

I probably can't give you any good advice but in my last job I was feeling pretty unmotivated. I was doing some monotonous and tedious work and wasn't learning anything new. I tried to change departments but there wasn't any opening due to budget cuts, so I decided to leave. They paid pretty well, so I have been fine regarding money and have been busy with other projects, also I already have my next job in Japan, so I'm not really 'stressed' due to job hunting.

In your case maybe try to hold on and try to disconnect a bit from work. Take time to do other stuff that you like during every bit of free time you may have. At the same time, search for other opportunities, if you're not restricted to the area/country where you currently live then, there's a lot of interesting stuff out there.

Hope this helps, take it easy..
#6 Old 07-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Beginner

If you can, you might try taking some time off. When I get to that point I take some time off, a week or two. Usually, when I come back I'm refreshed and ready to face the challenges. If I'm still dreading going into work after the vacation, I know it's time to start looking for a new job.
#7 Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Beginner

I felt this way about my last job. Sadly, I don't have any advice for how to deal with it. The way I dealt with it? I quit. I realized that crying about going to work and being miserable all the time was NOT healthy for me (or my colitis, which is worse with stress). I talked it over with my husband, and we agreed we could live quite comfortably on just his salary. I quit, and it was the best decision I ever made. I'm happier, my husband is happier (he gets homecooked meals a lot more often, and now gets out of doing chores like laundry, etc because I do almost everything, which seems pretty fair given the circumstances).

I don't think that's the answer you're looking for though But my message is this: life is too short to be miserable at a place you spend 8+ hours a day. If you can afford to do it, and think you can get a job in a reasonable amount of time, I'd say quit sooner rather than later. Or if that's not an option, get serious about finding another job, any job, and go into work every day knowing that your time there is limited and make the best of it that you can.

Good luck!
#8 Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Beginner

The job I have now I currently cannot stand. I hate everything about it. The only thing that has made it better is that I have gotten to work from home the past 2 months. Being away from everything that would upset me/stress me out has made the job more bearable. My advice would be to seriously start looking for a new job. If you hate your job so much that it is having a profound effect on your life you really need to get out of there. Look for a new job, see if you can swing going back to school (that's what I'll be doing this fall), do something to get yourself out of there. What's the point of working a miserable job for 40+ a week that makes every aspect of your life miserable.
#9 Old 07-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Kiz
Beginner

The worst part is, I love my workplace. I love our newspaper, it really is one of the best in the world (even if it is a bit conservative). I'm intensely proud of the product we have, I don't want to leave this newspaper, just the job itself. Any move sideways will bring me less money because I won't make bonus. I've been told outright they don't want me in an admin role, they want me in sales, and that I'm needed to go full time while they are shaking others down to cut hours. (I love, love, LOVE part time work, I get money and get to do artwork.) I make them a fortune in advertising sales, in this day and age of declining newspaper ad sales that's pretty good, but I've been pretty much told outright that I'm wanted in advertising sales because I can do it. I smashed target all throughout the financial crisis, one of the few people on the floor to do that, and they don't want to lose that. I hate sales and I hate advertising, though. I just love newspapers.

I appreciate the advice and support, it's all very spot on, what I wanted and needed to hear. I am so tempting to just quit outright and I know that is stupid. This role might suck but this company has too many benefits to leave unless I am going somewhere as good or better. I'll take all your advice on board, though. This venting is helpful.

#10 Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

Normally bosses who run work sections like you have described are control freaks kiz .I worked with one once, and it was hell the atmosphere he created , not so much in my area (I was independent to him) but how it flowed through the staff in his area . Its just bad management .

Quote:
Not many people on the floor are consistently making targets, smashing budgets, exceeding forecasts, but I am. I'm one of the only people to make bonus and to get a pay rise, so it's not all bad, but it also means they seem loathe to move me out of this position (that I hate) because I am one of the few people making as real success of it

Well you do have leverage to change working conditions . You might like to suggest 3 areas of work to change that would give them much improved efficiency in the running of your area . And don't forget to take a happy pill before you sit down with them to talk it through .

Maybe take a shower ,play music ,walk , read good magazines when you get home , just to unwind a bit .
#11 Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Beginner

I'm sorry to hear that there are so many issues popping up at your job, especially since you love being there. It is always hard when something you love turns into such a hassle. That is exactly what happened to me at my last job. I LOVED working there but the last year was hell because of my boss. She ended up pushing me out of the company basically, and I've now been unemployed for over a year. It's so hard to find a job and I'm at the point where I will take ANYTHING just to survive. I say all this because it is food for thought, not to quit this job before you have something else lined up. I'm not telling you to quit, or not quit, just trying to give some advice. If you are really very unhappy at this job you have now, look around for something new. It is good that you have voiced your concerns to the people above you and a shame that you didn't really get much of a response. Being miserable at work is such a waste, honestly. I understand sometimes you have to do what you have to do but I know there is the right job/place for everyone out there.

I really hope things work out for you and that my rambles have made some sense.

--Kate
Life is around you and in you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page