Am I splitting hairs? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 PM

Hello everyone,

Since my switch to veg my boyfriend and I have become label readers and are working on improving our diets. When we go shopping, I check the labels on our food to make sure there aren't any animal products, as I have made a big effort to cut out milk and eggs in addition to meat. We've found a number of things we like, but also a few things we're not so sure about.

My question is this:

If I read a label and it says under the ingredients list (which does not list either item officially), "May contain traces of..milk/eggs", how big a deal is this?

Does this mean it was produced in a place that uses milk and eggs and therefore has to list them just as candy bar companies have to list nut warnings? Or, does that mean it actually has those things in it? If it does have them in it, then why isn't it listed officially on the ingredients list?

Are these "may contain traces of" products all right for a vegetarian?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
AAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlil' date='13 July 2010 - 08:09 PM' timestamp='1279044549' post='2673150 View Post

Hello everyone,

Since my switch to veg my boyfriend and I have become label readers and are working on improving our diets. When we go shopping, I check the labels on our food to make sure there aren't any animal products, as I have made a big effort to cut out milk and eggs in addition to meat. We've found a number of things we like, but also a few things we're not so sure about.

My question is this:

If I read a label and it says under the ingredients list (which does not list either item officially), "May contain traces of..milk/eggs", how big a deal is this?

Does this mean it was produced in a place that uses milk and eggs and therefore has to list them just as candy bar companies have to list nut warnings? Or, does that mean it actually has those things in it? If it does have them in it, then why isn't it listed officially on the ingredients list?

Are these "may contain traces of" products all right for a vegetarian?

Thats actually a good way of saving time reading labels. If it says at the bottom may contain traces of milk, eggs and nuts. It does NOT contain it, so your good.

Its warnings for people that are very very allergic. They are forced to list it if it's been made at the same machine, even though it's been washed in between.
#3 Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 PM

Thank you! That's good to know.

#4 Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAG' date='13 July 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1279044962' post='2673152 View Post

Thats actually a good way of saving time reading labels. If it says at the bottom may contain traces of milk, eggs and nuts. It does NOT contain it, so your good.

I find it very convenient to do that too! It's the first thing I check and if it doesn't say those things, then I check the rest. But it can be a great timesaver!

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#5 Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

you, rock my socks with that pointer

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#6 Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlil' date='13 July 2010 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1279044549' post='2673150 View Post

Does this mean it was produced in a place that uses milk and eggs and therefore has to list them just as candy bar companies have to list nut warnings?

Yes.
#7 Old 07-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Sometimes, when I read there could be traces of fish, I have to think about it.

Within a few weeks you know what to buy and what not. But watch out when they change the package. Sometime they print "New recipe, much tastier", and then they have put in something you don't like.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#8 Old 07-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page