Carrageenan Intolerance/allerg - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Beginner

I have been researching the topic of "carrageenan intolerance" and have concluded that the symptoms of this intolerance/allergy are very similar to IBS and some other GI disturbances.

I am interested in hearing from others who have had a negative experience with carrageenan and would like to come up with a list of foods which are carrageenan free (this will be a challenge since carrageenan is a "natural" substance found in particular types of seaweed and is used in thousands of applications, usually related to thickening, emulsifying, etc. everything from sour cream to toothpaste. I have also discovered that there are many, many folks out there who may be misdiagnosed with IBD. I welcome any and all who wish to contribute to this discussion!

Joymkr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joymkr' date='25 June 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1277509122' post='2664696 View Post

I have been researching the topic of "carrageenan intolerance" and have concluded that the symptoms of this intolerance/allergy are very similar to IBS and some other GI disturbances.

I am interested in hearing from others who have had a negative experience with carrageenan and would like to come up with a list of foods which are carrageenan free (this will be a challenge since carrageenan is a "natural" substance found in particular types of seaweed and is used in thousands of applications, usually related to thickening, emulsifying, etc. everything from sour cream to toothpaste. I have also discovered that there are many, many folks out there who may be misdiagnosed with IBD. I welcome any and all who wish to contribute to this discussion!

Joymkr

I had been doing a lot of reading on carrageenan recently when I was looking for a non-dairy milk, as most contain it. When I was lacto-ovo veggie and I ate something that had it (namely most dairy/cheese products) I always got an unexplained headache. I'm thinking it was an MSG headache, which I've noticed I also react to. I've read that most of the adverse affects of carrageenan are related to the degraded form of it, but I've also read that it turns into the degraded form in your digestional track. Here's some more info on it.

It may not have been carrageenan that caused my headaches, but since I've been avoiding it I haven't gotten them since.
#3 Old 06-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joymkr' date='25 June 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1277509122' post='2664696 View Post

Joymkr

Thanks Skydog for your helpful info and websites!
#4 Old 06-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Beginner

Thanks SkyDog for the great info and websites!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page