Burger King ad (NZ) - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Beginner

Aaaaargh. The latest burger king advert here makes me VERY angry.

It's talking about a burger called The Rebel, and the tag line for it is something like, "So good even the most dedicated vegetarian could turn." No, no, NO! A /dedicated/ vegetarian means a vegetarian who's sticking to vegetarianism. If they turn, they aren't dedicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Beginner

It would be great if they got negative response to this so if anyone is willing to write an email complaining then the email address is contactus@bknz.co.nz
#3 Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Beginner

I'm not sure a negative response from people who are almost if not entirely outside their target audience would necessarily help with anything.

Also, I think ads tend to represent everyone poorly at some point, so I doubt it's out of any specific animosity.

EDIT: forgot to mention, it seems slightly humorous that they suggest people would "turn" considering that to know how good it apparently is they'd have to already be eating it. Maybe they seek people with a superhuman sense of smell who can actually tell burgers apart.
#4 Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Beginner

The only turn I make when I see those giant blobs of fat-filled corpses stuffed in a sandwich, is turn the **** away from the building selling them.

Not like you can expect much from idiots whose lifetime job is writing Burger King adds. However, if they are unable to restrain their impulsive desires (and are thus, according to Freud, on the psychological level of a two year old infant), they should not make assumptions that the rest of us share their total lack of self control. No, "it tastes well" is not a good enough argument, at least not for anyone who is willing to use this pathetic brain that evolution has gifted us with to the extent of seeing pass the sandwich and recognizing the corpse of a tormented animal who has been lying in it's own dung for it's entire miserable life until it was chopped up and served with garlic.
#5 Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Beginner

And, by the way, good point DaftLikeAFox. Miserable attempt at logical thinking on their side. Sad, really.
#6 Old 06-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Beginner

Haha. Just another reason to hate fast food corporations.

Their ignorance never ceases to amaze me.
#7 Old 06-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Beginner

Hmm yeah they have the definition of "dedicated vegetarian" wrong.
#8 Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Beginner

wow.....this is a hoot....IMO they are just sooo stupid and have really hit their mark of stupidity here.....

peace
#9 Old 06-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie-Tari-Jenn View Post

wow.....this is a hoot....IMO they are just sooo stupid and have really hit their mark of stupidity here.....

peace

if you truly think about it their job was to get people to talk about it, and here on a veggie forum its being talked about i think that they did their job of getting the word out. if you were out talking in public to someone and a person that likes meat over hears you they might think about trying it. like they say there is no such thing as bad press.
#10 Old 06-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Kiz
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

Aaaaargh. The latest burger king advert here makes me VERY angry.

It's talking about a burger called The Rebel, and the tag line for it is something like, "So good even the most dedicated vegetarian could turn." No, no, NO! A /dedicated/ vegetarian means a vegetarian who's sticking to vegetarianism. If they turn, they aren't dedicated.

It's just an ad. It wasn't meant to be serious. I really don't know why you have your knickers in a knot about something so petty. Just chill or don't watch TV if ads upset you so much. The best defense for bad ads it not to buy their products, not to keep promoting the ads and goods by talking about them.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Beginner

Smart one Burger King. I've had people tell me "I am such a good cook. If I grilled a steak, you wouldn't be able to turn it down because its so good"
#12 Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelkid87 View Post

Smart one Burger King. I've had people tell me "I am such a good cook. If I grilled a steak, you wouldn't be able to turn it down because its so good"

To which one could fruitfully respond - "Try me."
#13 Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Beginner

I don't really see the issue. Then again, I don't think people (or ads) who speak in hyperbole should be shot in the face. (<-- see what I did there?)

If I say, "Man, that guy is so hot, he could turn a lesbian!" it doesn't ACTUALLY mean I think that lesbians will ACTUALLY become attracted to him. It's hyperbole to illustrate a point. The dude is good looking.

I'd think anyone who said to me, "OMG YOU JUST DON'T GET WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A LESBIAN, DOOOOO YOOOOOU!?!?" would be hilariously dim.

To me, the ad is saying, "That's a really delicious burger!"

It might be. I kind of doubt it because I think fast food is gross, but I sure did like the taste of meat as an omnivore. These people aren't sitting around thinking, "Golly, the vegetarians are just going to be lining up for this!" They're simply finding a way to say to consumers, "This tastes SUPER good."

*shrug*
#14 Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I don't really see the issue. Then again, I don't think people (or ads) who speak in hyperbole should be shot in the face. (<-- see what I did there?)

Unless they're friends with Dick Cheney. Those people deserve to be shot in the face.

--Fromper

#15 Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Beginner

I saw this ad on TV last night and was deeply offended. I have created a Facebook page to protest it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Burger...?v=wall&ref=ts

I wrote to them and they told me that the comment was intended to be humorous and not offensive. This does not excuse the offence it has caused.

If they made a pork burger and said it was "so good that even the most devout Muslim will want to eat it" there would be national outcry from Muslims who may even threaten the company and burn effigies of the King. Saying that something is humorous is no excuse for offending someone.

Please encourage everyone you know who is vegetarian to join the Facebook group and write to Burger King about the ad. Hopefully if they get enough letters and realise the offense it has caused they will take it off the air.

Check out my vegetarian product blog: http://isitveggienz.wordpress.com/
#16 Old 06-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Beginner

Yeesh. I think if we want people to have a better understanding of vegetarianism and vegetarians, I think the last thing we should do is act like we're humorless crybabies. In the main, we're not, so let's not act like it, please!

And we should probably stop drawing attention to the ad. No publicity is bad publicity, so we're just HELPING THEM SELL MORE BURGERS by talking about the fast food place by name and starting Facebook groups about it. Let's cut that out, hey?

Personally, as I said before, I don't feel speaking in hyperbole is a horrific offense. Not to vegetarians, not to religious people, not to anyone. (Just my opinion, of course. I know there ARE people who get offended by it, but I think that's sad and useless.) I don't care if someone says, "X is so Y that even uppity white bitches would..." I wouldn't be offended as a white girl, and that even has untrue insults in it! (No comments from the peanut gallery detailing all the ways in which those insults are actually true, kthnx.)

Hyperbole to make a point does just that - makes a point. Freaking out over it just makes it look like YOU miss the point entirely and the only people who are going to support you are THOSE WHO ALREADY DO. And every omni who sees it won't see you making a rational point - they'll see humorless crybaby who can't take a joke, and probably think LESS of vegetarians as a result! Not great for the cause. And, again, saying something like "Man, that guy is so fine, even a lesbian would want to bed him!" doesn't ACTUALLY show a disrespect toward lesbians, nor does it demonstrate a lack of comprehension when it comes to what it means to be a lesbian. It's. Hyperbole. To. Illustrate. A. Point.

So let's relax, please!
#17 Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Beginner

The ironic thing is that BK has had a vegetarian burger on their menu for some time now.

Tam! RUGH!
#18 Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Beginner

NZ BK doesn't do the veggie burger. And I agree with not making FB groups about it, that's just asking omnis to attack veg*ns, or go to BK. I posted here cos of course there are only veggies here so I can say it annoys me without promoting BK.
#19 Old 06-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Beginner

The next step would be the King facing down a veg*n and with heavy breathing sounds and a Darth Vader voice saying "You don't know the POWER ..."

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#20 Old 06-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Beginner

Silly ad, I'm in agreement with Semicharmed on this one. She worded it great IMO!
#21 Old 06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Beginner

I agree there's no point in overreacting to this, dumb as it may be, but seriously, what is it with NZ and poking fun at veg*ns in fast food ad. First there was that ridiculous KFC ad ("I thought you were vegetarian" "not on tuesdays") and now this. I realise that in a country with 40 million sheep and 4 million cows to 4 million people and fishing being pretty much the national sport (makes it fun for a vegan hitch-hiker. "Lot's of good fushing here, bro, you into fushing", "uhm, yeah, thanks, not really my thing." cue awkward silence) veg*nism is going to be a common target of jokes, but come on, there's a point where it stops being funny guys.

On a positive note for NZ, they have Burgerfuel, a fast food chain that, unbelievably, actually has vegan options and marks them as such. Pity it's so bloody expensive.

So yeah, just ignore it and it will go away. At least they're not actually showing a "vegetarian" eating meat like the KFC ad.
#22 Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa' date='19 June 2010 - 02:10 AM' timestamp='1276927859' post='2660975 View Post

NZ BK doesn't do the veggie burger. And I agree with not making FB groups about it, that's just asking omnis to attack veg*ns, or go to BK. I posted here cos of course there are only veggies here so I can say it annoys me without promoting BK.

not completely true, you have to remember google reads every word on ever website. just google "rebel burger burger king so good vegetarian will turn" and the first link that pops up was to this thread. im pretty sure that someone that wanted to eat the burger or wanted more info on it has googled just that and found this page.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
#23 Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus' date='21 June 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1277084331' post='2662028 View Post

On a positive note for NZ, they have Burgerfuel, a fast food chain that, unbelievably, actually has vegan options and marks them as such. Pity it's so bloody expensive.

I absolutely love Burger Fuel. Shame my closest is half an hour drive away so I very rarely go there. The veg burgers are delicious and filling. I have heard vaguely that they are expanding into new countries which would be really great.
#24 Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Beginner

I wrote to the Advertising Standards Authority on Friday to complain about the ad. I got a letter back yesterday stating that another person has already complained about the same ad and that my letter will be added to the complaint. A decision will be made in due course and I will be notified.

Quote:
what is it with NZ and poking fun at veg*ns in fast food ad. First there was that ridiculous KFC ad ("I thought you were vegetarian" "not on tuesdays") and now this. I realise that in a country with 40 million sheep and 4 million cows to 4 million people and fishing being pretty much the national sport (makes it fun for a vegan hitch-hiker. "Lot's of good fushing here, bro, you into fushing", "uhm, yeah, thanks, not really my thing." cue awkward silence) veg*nism is going to be a common target of jokes, but come on, there's a point where it stops being funny guys.

I never saw the KFC ad, but then I've lived in Malaysia for the past 2 years so there's a lot that I missed in that time.

I've never actually heard anyone being derogatory to veg*ns except for the BK ad. My mother has expressed frustration with my checking product labels meticulously, but she has never challenged my lifestyle (she herself was a vegetarian for many years). I've certainly never encountered any comments like the ones in the "Stupid Things Omnivores Say" thread.

Check out my vegetarian product blog: http://isitveggienz.wordpress.com/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page