VeggieBoards banner

Funny Veg*n stories

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  baby_vicua 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd start a thread where people can share funny stories (or any other stories) about their experience with veg*nism.

I live in a place where veg*anism isn't the most common thing and while out with friends I tend to order a salad. A few weeks after going out one afternoon my older brother tells me about a new co-worker. It turns out to be a friend's friend that had been with me and some other friends that day. He tells me that she thought I had a ton of allergies to different foods which was why I almost always had salad. After talking to some other friends I realized that they all thought this. I don't know if other people thought this was funny, but I got a kick out of it.

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbell6 View Post

Just thought I'd start a thread where people can share funny stories (or any other stories) about their experience with veg*nism.

I live in a place where veg*anism isn't the most common thing and while out with friends I tend to order a salad. A few weeks after going out one afternoon my older brother tells me about a new co-worker. It turns out to be a friend's friend that had been with me and some other friends that day. He tells me that she thought I had a ton of allergies to different foods which was why I almost always had salad. After talking to some other friends I realized that they all thought this. I don't know if other people thought this was funny, but I got a kick out of it.
Hehe that's great! It's funny that allergies were their first thought, not vegetarianism! I hadn't realised how lucky I was to live somewhere where veg*nism is quite common - there's always veg*n options.

#3 ·
That is great. I remember talking to one of my coworkers a few months ago. She was eating some candy that had gelatin in it and offered me some. I politely declined saying that I don't eat anything with gelatin (she knew I'm Vegetarian but I don't think i ever talked with her about things like gelatin and rennet). She proceeded to say "Wow, I've never known anyone that's allergic to gelatin. That must be so hard!". I thought it was kind of funny!

#5 ·
This didn't happen to me, but I remember hearing someone tell this story: A woman and her kids were out somewhere and someone offered them some gummy worms. Knowing they had gelatin, she said, "no thanks, we're vegetarian" and the person said, "but they're not REAL worms!". It made me LOL. Even as an omni I was aware that gelatin was from animals and that it was in a lot of candy. Maybe most people don't know that. Still funny. LOL

#6 ·
The best thing that happpened to me was when I first went vegan and a friend and I were deciding where to eat out. We were leaning towards indian when she turned to me and said, "wait, you can't eat indian food, most of it as coconut MILK in it." At first I thought she was joking but she was completely serious. I just looked at her until she realised what she had said.

#8 ·
This actually happened to me. I was running B up to his brother's house, and I hadn't had anything to eat that day, so we stopped at Subway. I decided to get the veggie delight salad, instead of the sandwich. The cashier who rang us up saw that I was getting the salad, and said "The salad is really good with chicken." Before I could say anything, B goes "She's a vegetarian." Her reaction: "Oh my god!" I could tell by the look on her face, that she felt horrible (I was trying hard not to burst out laughing). Then we ended up talking about Morning Star products.

#10 ·
My funniest veg*n moment is already in the Stupid Things Omnivores Say thread, but I put it there around 3 years ago when it first happened, so I guess I can repeat it here.

Shortly after I went veg, I was grocery shopping, and I bought some veggie burgers, produce, etc. The girl bagging my groceries at the supermarket asked if I was vegetarian, and I said I was. She continued on for a minute or two, then asked "How do you become a vegetarian?" I was so stunned that I didn't know how to answer, so I just said, "Stop eating meat". Duh!!!

--Fromper

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbell6 View Post

I became vegetarian when I was 12. I called my best friend to tell her and after a long pause she said "vegetarians can't be made out of meat because they don't eat it" I think she took you are what you eat too seriously.
I keep telling my omni friends that if you are what you eat, then I'm nuts and they're a bunch of turkeys.

--Fromper

#12 ·
Yesterday I was at my uncle's who is a devoted omni
and doesn't know I went veg. There was chicken soup,some kind of peas meal with meat and other stuff that were meatless. Mom was serving, she said: Oh, Pelin doesn't eat this soup. Then she skipped to another meal and saw that it had meat in it, said: Pelin doesn't have it either.

Then my uncle was puzzled and said: You don't like anything! Don't be so selective!

Mom and I looked in each other's eye and noone noticed I went veg*n

(I chose not to tell some of my relatives of my choice, because they are too skeptical and prejudiced.. I tried to tell some of them but they just teased me, so I gave up)

#13 ·
A few people at work know I'm a vegan. I've explained it pretty carefully to the people in my department, but one woman just doesn't understand. One day, she asked me if I could eat flour. OK - not a totally silly question, since maybe people assume flour is processed with animal products. I explained that I could, in fact, eat flour. I thought we were totally clear on the issue until she emailed me a recipe last week containing flour, and then stopped by my desk later and said "Ooops - I'm sorry, I forgot. You're a vegan and the recipe has flour." I again explained that flour is made of grain and therefore vegan.

This is the same lady that, at a business luncheon last month, took a look at my vegan dish, looked at her fries, and said "You're a vegan - can you eat potatoes?" I swear, I thought she was putting me on, so I just laughed. The table fell silent as she said "No, I'm serious, if I just cooked you a potato, could you eat it?" I was a little stunned and finally said "Well, yes, potatoes are vegetables, so they're vegan as long as they're not cooked with dairy or eggs." I tried to say it really nicely and not condescendingly, but I could tell she was a little embarassed that everyone heard the question...

Oddly enough, she claims her sister was a vegan in the 1990s. I wonder if the sister ate potatoes and flour.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I keep telling my omni friends that if you are what you eat, then I'm nuts and they're a bunch of turkeys.

--Fromper

I may have to borrow that, although it's not all completely true (I don't care for nuts, except in peanut butter).

#17 ·
People tell me that being a vegetarian is hard all the time

Yes, not contracting muscles in your arn to move a piece of flesh up to your mouth, open your lips, and putting it in your mouth and chewing is sooooo difficult!

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

My funniest veg*n moment is already in the Stupid Things Omnivores Say thread, but I put it there around 3 years ago when it first happened, so I guess I can repeat it here.

Shortly after I went veg, I was grocery shopping, and I bought some veggie burgers, produce, etc. The girl bagging my groceries at the supermarket asked if I was vegetarian, and I said I was. She continued on for a minute or two, then asked "How do you become a vegetarian?" I was so stunned that I didn't know how to answer, so I just said, "Stop eating meat". Duh!!!

--Fromper

You should have told her there is an official club and you pay a monthly membership. She would have probably believed you without batting an eyelash.

#19 ·
last week at costco...the sample woman asked if I wanted to sample some fish and I said No Thanx I am Veggie and she said Fish was perfectly fine for Veggies she has friends who are veggies and she knows this for a fact....I said that Veggies dont eat fish....and she didnt believe me....I just walked away.....

#20 ·
^ It shocks me how many people think veg*ns eat fish. This happened to me a few weeks ago:

Me: "I'm a vegan."

Person: "I've heard of that but I don't really know what it is..."

Me: "It means I don't eat, use, or buy animal products."

Person: "Ooohhh....so do you eat fish?"

Me: "No, fish are animals."

Person: "But fish isn't meat."

Me: "It's an animal product, so I avoid it."

Oy. And people always seem shocked when I'm craving chocolate or something. "Chocolate?? But I thought you were a vegan?!?!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.