HELP! Craving eggs! - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Beginner

Okay...here's the deal...I became veg*n 7 years ago and I don't think I've had eggs since. But lately I've been craving eggs (BIG TIME). It doesn't make sense to me. I mean, after years and years of going without eggs, why am I all of a sudden craving them now???

Has anyone else here gone through a similar ordeal? I don't know what to do...I'm soooo tempted to just go out and buy eggs (I probably won't because I know better though).

Are there any vegan versions for eggs? (I'm desperate!). Anyone have any coping mechanisms? Thanks.

I keep thinking about soft-boiled eggs, sunny-side up fried eggs, omelettes, etc. ARGH!!!...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Beginner

I've been through this. Mash some avocado & spread it on toast. This works for some people. I know there are tofu scrambles, too, but I don't find these at all similar to scrambled eggs.

I hope your craving goes away soon!
#3 Old 01-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Beginner

Oh ya, for an omelette craving, I find that frying up some veggies & chopped, cooked potatoes does it for me. You could even through some veggie sausage chunks in there for a real hearty meal!
#4 Old 01-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Beginner

I was having some egg cravings recently too. I started making tofu scrambles and that pretty much took care of that. Do you like tofu scrambles? I've heard you can make omelet type tofu things too, by mixing the tofu with some other stuff and browning it on both sides in the pan. I've heard also you can make fake egg salad. That's all I can think of right now
#5 Old 01-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Beginner

thanks guys.

Flower: i'm going to give that potato omelette a try. Sounds delish!

Ms. Pacman: have any tofu scramble recipes?
#6 Old 01-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Beginner

Oh, good! Let me know how you like it!!
#7 Old 01-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Beginner

I made the tofu omelette here: http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?eggs

I added some tomato and a little green onion and it was great...more like scrambled eggs, than an omelette, but who cares? The next time I added some green chilis, too. I thought it was very egg like...and for some reason it is much better served with grits and earth balance, probably because tofu isn't as fatty as eggs.
#8 Old 01-10-2004, 01:08 AM
Beginner

funny i've been strict veg 4 years and suddenly in mid dec i started craving cheese. have been ever since. i havent bought or eaten any but it's still annoying. i am getting all of my nutrients as well. the replacement cheeses to the trick but not whne im partyin or something. anyway yea just wanted to say i share in your pain but have no advice

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#9 Old 01-10-2004, 07:22 AM
RGR
Beginner

Soybean, if you can find it, try getting Indian black salt. It's actually pink in color, and it lends an AMAZINGLY eggy flavor to tofu scrambles, fried tofu, etc. If you fry thinly sliced tofu with black salt and green onions, you'll get a dish that tastes a lot like crisp fried eggs.
#10 Old 01-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean81 View Post

Okay...here's the deal...I became veg*n 7 years ago and I don't think I've had eggs since. But lately I've been craving eggs (BIG TIME). It doesn't make sense to me. I mean, after years and years of going without eggs, why am I all of a sudden craving them now???

Has anyone else here gone through a similar ordeal? I don't know what to do...I'm soooo tempted to just go out and buy eggs (I probably won't because I know better though).

Are there any vegan versions for eggs? (I'm desperate!). Anyone have any coping mechanisms? Thanks.

I keep thinking about soft-boiled eggs, sunny-side up fried eggs, omelettes, etc. ARGH!!!...

Whenever I get a craving for eggs, I go out and get a tofu scrambler. Granted, it's not exactly the same taste, but if you fancy it up with peppers, onions, mushrooms...etc like an omelette, It's quite delicious, plus the tofu sits in your stomach in much the same way eggs do. There's one I get in a paper packet (looks like a chilli seasoning packet), and there's one from fantastic foods, both are reasonably good.

B
#11 Old 01-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Beginner

Soybean, what I do is sautee some veggies first, I like onion, green pepper, mushrooms. Then I blot the water out of some firm tofu, and crumble it into the pan with my hands. I mix it around a bit, then sprinkle on some turmeric, and stir it really well until it is all a nice yellowy color. Then I cook some more and keep stirring until most of the water evaporates (I'm not very diligent about draining so well). I add some salt and pepper, or even some Tony's cajun seasoning. Then, when I think it's looking pretty good, I add some nutritional yeast at the very end when I turn off the heat and stir it in. This makes it thicken up pretty well. Then I move the stuff to a plate and yummy, it's pretty great I think!
#12 Old 01-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Beginner

I had really bad cravings for poached eggs on whole wheat toast when I first went away to college.

It was weird because I am not vegan, and do eat eggs in things, but have always found whole eggs to be really gross, even before I was veg. they smell bad and the concept of what they are is icky to me, and even craving them revolted me.

Since I eat them occasionally anyway, I caved and went out and bought some.

I find I often crave foods I don't like. For awhile it was pickles, then shortly onions, then peanut butter, now lately it has been beer, although I can only drink a few sips and then my craving is over and it tastes gross again. I am really weird with food cravings, I can't even imagine how I'll be when I am preggers.
#13 Old 01-12-2004, 03:13 AM
Beginner

When I make tofu scramble, I drain and press firm tofu, then cube it into small cubes. I saute onion and garlic in olive oil, add the tofu and dump low sodium Tamari all over the tofu, add sliced mushrooms, nutritional yeast, tumeric, coriander, maybe a shake of cardamom, and saute the bajeezus out of it until the mushrooms are cooked and the tofu is browned. Right before I take it off the heat, I usually add fresh diced tomatoes and fresh chopped spinach, cook until the spinach just wilts, remove from heat and serve with cubed avocado on top.

This tastes pretty much nothing like eggs, but there's something reminiscent about the texture, and it gets rid of my cravings for "eggy" type food. Funny thing is, if someone eating with me orders eggs at a restaurant, I can smell them when they hit the table and they make me want to hurl, so I doubt I could choke down a real egg now. But I get the "eggy" cravings once in awhile, and I just associate it with me wanting that tofu scramble now.
#14 Old 01-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Beginner

Dear Soybean,

I started eating eggs again when I was on vacation over the holidays visiting with my family. I also starting eating cheese again. I just felt it made it so much easier for everyone and my focus of the vacation was to relax and enjoy their company. Once I came back home I found that I couldn't just stop eating eggs and cheese. The egg cravings really suprised me. What helped me was going out to breakfast and ordering a veggie omlet. When came out where it had not competely set and was kind of runny in spots. It smelled bad too. Kind of like fish. It made me sick to me stomach but it sure did cure my cravings for omlets or scrambled eggs. However, I have started to use them to bake with again because it is so much easier and I have never been able to get used to the tast of the egg replacer. I have also stopped reading labels for eggs or egg whites. I just don't have time for it anymore.
#15 Old 01-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Beginner

Luckily I was never too much of a fan of eggs. Except in a few certain things. One was a Spanish tortilla, and I can't think of anyway to substitue that. The other was hard-boiled eggs, in egg salad, in vinegar with tomato, deviled, etc. For those types of things avocado works for me. I love them to begin with, and they have a funky flavor that seems just a little similar to me. Also they have a weird firm-yet-squishy texture that reminds me of eggs.

As to why you're craving them so suddenly, hmm. I'm sure someone has mentioned that it's at least possible that your body wants some nutrient they contain. Or it could be a nostalgia/convenience thing ... I kinda miss eating breakfasts in greasy spoons.

Good luck!
#16 Old 01-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46 avocados View Post

funny i've been strict veg 4 years and suddenly in mid dec i started craving cheese. have been ever since. i havent bought or eaten any but it's still annoying. i am getting all of my nutrients as well. the replacement cheeses to the trick but not whne im partyin or something. anyway yea just wanted to say i share in your pain but have no advice

Have you tried an avacado for the cheese crave? It sounds odd, I know but it works pretty well and it's a pretty good excuse to make guacamole.

Either that, or buy some vegan cheese and eat it straight from the pack. I've heard it's pretty nasty that way so, if that doesn't kill your cheese crave, nothing will.
#17 Old 01-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Beginner

Well I didn't have an egg craving ... until now! Thanks a lot!

I do love scrambled tofu however. I mash it up in a bowl first as much as I can. Then I fry it with garlice, chili, onion and bell peppers for a few minutes. Then when it's getting there, I add some mixed Italian herbs and paprika, then some sun-dried tomatoes and sweetcorn. Keep cooking for a little longer then it's ready. Yum! I want some right now ...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page