Applebees Help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-15-2010, 06:09 AM
Ing
Beginner

So a group of friends recently invited me to go to Applebees next week before an event. Applebees is honestly one of my least favorite restaurants and I think I have been there only once since becoming vegetarian because of their limit of veg items. I checked and found some guides for vegetarians at Applebees but they seem kind of outdated because they list things that are nowhere on the menu. Have any of you been here recently and found something good to order? I was thinking of getting the Italian Chicken & Portabello Sandwich without the chicken or my usual baked potato with steamed veggies when Im having a hard time at omni restaurants. They also have a Chicken Fajita Rollup that I could get without chicken but it seems like it wouldnt have enough in it. Have any of you gotten any of these things recently or know of any other good things to get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Beginner

I've never been to an Applebee's (so I'm sure this post will be fairly useless!) but... If you can find something like a Chicken Fajita Rollup and then ask for extra veggies instead of chicken... Or order a side of veggies and stick 'em in yourself... That might be an option?

I feel like restaurants like that usually have a selection of large dinner salads, yeah? If you get one with no meat (and possibly no cheese, I doubt it's vegetarian cheese) that might do?

Good luck!
#3 Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Beginner

One problem you might run into is that I think all of the food comes pre-packed and is just reheated. =/ I try to avoid chains because most of it is microwaved and it is hard to substitute things. They might be able to pick the meat out of something, but I'd stick with salads.
#4 Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Beginner

I worked at Applebee's when I was in college a few years back. You could possibly get Spinach and Artichoke dip, a Chicken Fajita Roll-up with no chicken, Nachos with no meat add extra beans (these used shredded cheese instead of cheese sauce), Salad without the meat, a cheese quseadilla (just make sure to say no bacon, as the cheese quesadilla still came with bacon).

Applebee's does get a lot of frozen items but most of the foods can be customized fairly easy.
#5 Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Beginner

I got a plate of spinach last time I was there.
#6 Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Beginner

I haven't been to Applebee's since becoming veg because my favorite thing to get was the chicken fingers basket w/ honey mustard sauce. It mas my okay, I'm eating out, screw it unhealthy occasional splurge. If I went now I'd probably get the asian salad w/o chicken. the veg pizza app was ok. hm. if you don't care about cheese they do have a couple pasta dishes, but I remember trying one once and it didn't have much flavor. :?
#7 Old 01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator

I'm not a fan of Applebees but the few times I've been stuck there I got this minus the chicken...

Quote:
Santa Fe Chicken Salad

Grilled marinated chicken breast atop a bed of greens, tortilla strips, cheese, homemade pico de gallo, and Mexi-ranch dressing. Topped with guacamole and sour cream.

Obviously no good if you're vegan.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#8 Old 01-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Beginner

I was just there a week ago with my family and I got the portabello sandwich without the chicken. It was surprisingly good, actually. You might want to ask for some onion and lettuce too; otherwise it just comes with tomato. They also have a quesadilla on the appetizer menu that you can get without the chicken and bacon (if you eat cheese).
#9 Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Beginner

Last time i went to applebees i got a portabello chicken without the chicken, i added extra mushrooms and a piece of swiss cheese along with lettuce and tomato. I also got a side salad (no bacon) and ate some of the spinach dip.

I worked there (in the kitchen) for three years, and a ton of the stuff is just pre-made and microwaved so it is one of the harder places to customize at. A fellow employee was vegan and she would eat tortillas with pizza sauce almost every night because there was just nothing to pick from.
#10 Old 01-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Beginner

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...es.html?cat=22

Found this when googling. Hope it helps. I wouldn't eat there though....
#11 Old 01-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Beginner

I swear Applebee's is like the worst place for a vegetarian. Everything i've ever had there felt really unsatisfying. I'm so glad it's no longer "the hangout" for my friends.
#12 Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlyn View Post

I swear Applebee's is like the worst place for a vegetarian. Everything i've ever had there felt really unsatisfying. I'm so glad it's no longer "the hangout" for my friends.

I've heard Cracker Barrel takes the cake, so to speak. Don't they stick pork and bacon and crap even in their just-veggies side dishes? I'd rather eat at Applebees than Cracker Barrel!
#13 Old 01-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I've heard Cracker Barrel takes the cake, so to speak. Don't they stick pork and bacon and crap even in their just-veggies side dishes? I'd rather eat at Applebees than Cracker Barrel!

Yeah, I HATE Cracker Barrel. It's REALLY, REALLY limited. Ick.

I start Applebee's in two days. Not much help now, sorry! But I've eaten there on a regular basis. They do have some great sides and whatnot. And the servers are ALWAYS happy to help.
#14 Old 01-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

BE CAREFUL: I went there with a friend last year around Christmas and ordered a chicken salad with no chicken. When I got home I posted about it on here and someone who used to work for the company said the salad dressing is made with animal fat/broth/stock/drippings or something like that.
#15 Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

I don't like Applebee's, either. The few times I've had to eat there, I've gotten a plain baked potato or a tossed salad.
#16 Old 01-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Beginner

I despise Applebees. Definetly not even a "decent" place for vegans. It's almost as bad as a steakhouse when it comes to having any options. I used to live near a Cracker Barrel and refused to ever step foot in there.
#17 Old 01-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Beginner

It must just be me but I always get the worst service and food at applebees...any applebees...I am never going in there again not even with a coupon and for me thats saying alot....I gave my parents a GC I got as a Holiday Present.....I am happy that you guys have had good times there and found something to eat.
#18 Old 01-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

It must just be me but I always get the worst service and food at applebees...any applebees...I am never going in there again not even with a coupon and for me thats saying alot.

No it's not just you. I've had nothing but bad service at Applebees whenever I was stuck going there with friends.
#19 Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Ing
Beginner

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!
#20 Old 01-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Beginner

Applebees is one place I try to avoid. The last few times I tried to find something to eat on the menu, it was horrible. My husband is an omni and always makes a joke that he is taking me out to eat there again. heh
#21 Old 01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

No it's not just you. I've had nothing but bad service at Applebees whenever I was stuck going there with friends.

Thats Cool....I dont know what it is but they are always like you are bothering them and the food is never good....I avoid them like the plague.
#22 Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Beginner

I was just to Applebees just last month, and they actually had a veggie pizza with whole wheat crust. I'm not sure if its just a local entree or not but it was very veggie friendly and very delicious. Also you should try Red Robins if you ever go out with your friends again. They can turn any entree burger into a veggie burger with a Boca patty.
#23 Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Beginner

I would eat before and have a drink. If I don't feel like I'm going to get something satisfying at a restaurant I'd rather not waste the money. I refuse to pay for unappetizing and un-filling beds of iceberg or side dishes of steamed broccoli (sauteed or grilled is a different story, but I hate steamed anything).
#24 Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Beginner

I went there last night and was disappointed with their vegetarian options which are almost none. I just contacted them to let them know I wasn't pleased with what my options were. Maybe if others of you were to do the same we might see some better options...some day.
#25 Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Boom View Post

I went there last night and was disappointed with their vegetarian options which are almost none. I just contacted them to let them know I wasn't pleased with what my options were. Maybe if others of you were to do the same we might see some better options...some day.

You'll likely just get a form response. That's all I've ever received from them... they send a crappy list of dishes that can be vegetarianized... small list, poor selection.
#26 Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Beginner

My parents recently dragged me there. Every single salad, entree and most appetizers have meat. I ended up getting spinach artichoke dip but not good for the vegans. It's very un veg*n friendly and since it's a chain it's hard to simply get something sans meat

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#27 Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Beginner

You can get the sizzling vegetable skillet - pretty sure its veg-friendly.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page