VeggieBoards banner

What is the deficiency that makes people's hair fall out?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  clberka 
#1 ·
I hear so many people say things like "Oh, I tried to be a vegetarian, but I stopped when my hair started falling out," or "I tried to not eat fish, but then my hair started falling out so I had to!"

It's not related to protein, is it? I didn't think it was, but that's what everyone thinks. I think I once read what was the actual cause of it, but I forgot. Does anyone know? I want to have something to say back to those people when I hear those stupid excuses!

#4 ·
Deficiency in different vitamins/minerals can cause hair loss. I remember reading that for some people, their body interprets the vegan diet as a crash diet (because they're so used to animal fat/protein) that they undergo telogen effivium (sp?) which usually corrects itself after some time. I don't know the details about this.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by African_Prince View Post

Deficiency in different vitamins/minerals can cause hair loss. I remember reading that for some people, their body interprets the vegan diet as a crash diet (because they're so used to animal fat/protein) that they undergo telogen effivium (sp?) which usually corrects itself after some time. I don't know the details about this.
This. I think I read it was also associated slightly with omega-3 intake, which can crash if you're used to eating a lot of fish and go directly into vegan junk food. But basically, yeah, I think it's that if you make a huge dietary change, good or bad, some people start to lose their hair. It's temporary. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but when my bf started to drastically cut down on meat/fish, he got kind of a thin/bald spot, and it freaked him out badly. Slowed his transition to veg for months. Now his hair is fine and he's 100% vegetarian.

#8 ·
I've heard it is Iron deficiency. I've been dealing with this. I tried supplementing, but it hasn't worked. Apparently, the body doesn't easily absorb iron supplements. It also doesn't absorb plant iron well (in most cases) unless it's eaten with citrus fruits like orange and tomato. Calcium and coffee INHIBIT iron absorption, so don't take your iron supplement with a glass of milk, soymilk, or coffee.

Recently, I've been trying spirulina supplements, which apparently is one of the most readily absorbable forms of iron. I'd look into that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.