1984 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jumpingspider22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 237

No doubt this thread will be locked too. However, I feel that it is important to point out how very Big Brother-ish it is to lock Cato's "Infractions" thread. Is VB a tyranny? Why are we not allowed to openly discuss what some may see as a somewhat despotic policy? As long as nobody in the thread is using curse words, I fail to see the problem.

 

While I understand that VB does not want teens to see profanity, there is something to be said for the silliness of allowing words with arbitrary meanings to have so much power. Curse words are "profane" only because we say they are; the meaning is not inherent. As vegetarians and vegans we should extend our desire to snuff out inconsistencies in society to those that exist in everyday language. For the record, I am NOT referring to racist/sexist/speciesist epithets.

 

Moderation is one thing, but this kind of thing--closing a thread for raising a discrepancy with that moderation--is something else entirely.

 

Now lock this dangerous thread. 

jumpingspider22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 PM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
swear filters on a lot of forums are there because of the Stepford wiv.....I mean net nannies software.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#3 Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761

As I said when I locked that thread, it was to give the mods time to discuss it. It was not a thread simply about the profanity rule it was a thread full of bad language which is against the rules.

 

While you may think we lock threads with no thought, we do lock threads for specific reasons. We may lock threads because we want to make sure all the mods are clear on the rules before we unlock it to allow more discussion or we may lock a thread because the thread was written by someone who has already been warned about the rule in question in the past so leaving it unlocked allows someone to keep on breaking the same rules. 

 

Anyone is free to disagree with the rules. Anyone is free to suggest changes or question the rules. Now is a good time to be doing this actually because we're trying to rewrite the rules so that they're clear for everyone. 

 

With regards to swearing at VB, this is not a rule that's going to change. 

 

I agree partially that:

 

Quote:
Curse words are "profane" only because we say they are; the meaning is not inherent. 

 

I get it. I cuss at home, though I'm trying to cut back because my son hates it. It's just not something I find all that personally offensive. I've got kids at my house and I don't even personally care if they cuss, because frankly, there's a lot worse people can do. However this is just my opinion.

 

We have good reasons for not wanting a lot of curse words here at VB.

 

  • We are a family-friendly, youth welcoming site. 
  • We are a safe-for-work site. Lots of workplaces block sites containing inappropriate content and if we have a site full of what's typically considered inappropriate content, people may not be able to view VB at work. 
  • An awesome goal here at VB would be to get some vegan-friendly/veg-friendly sponsors vs. some of the more annoying ads you see currently. Very few sponsors want to get involved with a site that contains a ton of inappropriate content - it just looks shady as heck. 

 

We have a filter for cussing, but although we have a filter. We'd rather people didn't use extreme swear words, because if words are oddly censored out everywhere it can look just as shady as if the actual words were posted.

 

Way back in 04 (the furthest back I can find) the rules noted:

 

Quote:
This site is programmed with a list of words that are considered profane under any context and these words are not allowed to be posted. Attempting to bypass the censor by misspelling, inserting spaces or symbols, transposing letters, using look-alike symbols, or any other method is not allowed. The only acceptable method of posting one of these profane words is to completely obscure it, making it impossible to determine what the word is without context.

 

So this is in no way a new rule. It's been this way for a long time. 

Werewolf Girl and Cato like this.

~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
 
#4 Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
jumpingspider22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 237

Jennifer,

Fair enough. Thank you for addressing my concerns, and for not locking the thread. I respect your position.

Jennifer C likes this.
jumpingspider22 is offline  
#5 Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 774

Thank you, I missed this yesterday. I agree with you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingspider22 View Post

No doubt this thread will be locked too. However, I feel that it is important to point out how very Big Brother-ish it is to lock Cato's "Infractions" thread. Is VB a tyranny? Why are we not allowed to openly discuss what some may see as a somewhat despotic policy? As long as nobody in the thread is using curse words, I fail to see the problem.

 

While I understand that VB does not want teens to see profanity, there is something to be said for the silliness of allowing words with arbitrary meanings to have so much power. Curse words are "profane" only because we say they are; the meaning is not inherent. As vegetarians and vegans we should extend our desire to snuff out inconsistencies in society to those that exist in everyday language. For the record, I am NOT referring to racist/sexist/speciesist epithets.

 

Moderation is one thing, but this kind of thing--closing a thread for raising a discrepancy with that moderation--is something else entirely.

 

Now lock this dangerous thread. 

 

There is no bad language! There are words with the exact same meaning and one is profane and the other isn't. Society has simply decided arbitrarily to make these words "bad". If we had the same backwards culture our predecessors had 'sex' would be a bad word. To me it seems utter idiocy to have two words with the same meaning and arbitrarily consider one "bad" and the other not.

 

And this bad language you speak of is common at veggieboards. Why was I targeted? Others have bypassed the filters as I have and their posts have been ignored. Or do you simply find people you want to target and apply the rules selectively? Smells like tyranny to me.

 

So it's ok for families to hear "sex" but it's not ok to hear "f..."? What precisely is the difference in meaning? And while we are at it, why was 'WTF' written in the rules page up until recently. Do any of you know what 'WTF' stands for? Pure hypocrisy!

 

We cannot limit our freedom because some workplaces have adopted ridiculous rules. We might as well ban blasphemy because some Islamic nations do not allow it (and some posters in those nations might miss out).

 

Now we are selling ourselves to the highest bidder? Perhaps we would also get more sponsors if we only allowed mild arguing (often not the case here). There are many things we can do to attract sponsors, maybe we should name the forum after them. That does not mean we should do it.

 

As for misspelling etc how do you decide the cutoff point? Is 'sheet' profane, is 'zhet' profane, is 'hsti' profane? How do you determine if a word is a a transformation of a profane word or not? Precisely how is that decided?

 

Furthermore, I and others have used such words for quite a while. Why was I targeted now? Or do you guys simply use this as an excuse to get rid of people you disagree with but cannot openly argue against? Must the members become docile idiots who place the morality of the administration before their own to be in good standing? Are you so threatened by dissidents? This is nothing new though we had this in Communism, good stuff!

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

As I said when I locked that thread, it was to give the mods time to discuss it. It was not a thread simply about the profanity rule it was a thread full of bad language which is against the rules.

 

While you may think we lock threads with no thought, we do lock threads for specific reasons. We may lock threads because we want to make sure all the mods are clear on the rules before we unlock it to allow more discussion or we may lock a thread because the thread was written by someone who has already been warned about the rule in question in the past so leaving it unlocked allows someone to keep on breaking the same rules. 

 

Anyone is free to disagree with the rules. Anyone is free to suggest changes or question the rules. Now is a good time to be doing this actually because we're trying to rewrite the rules so that they're clear for everyone. 

 

With regards to swearing at VB, this is not a rule that's going to change. 

 

I agree partially that:

 

 

I get it. I cuss at home, though I'm trying to cut back because my son hates it. It's just not something I find all that personally offensive. I've got kids at my house and I don't even personally care if they cuss, because frankly, there's a lot worse people can do. However this is just my opinion.

 

We have good reasons for not wanting a lot of curse words here at VB.

 

  • We are a family-friendly, youth welcoming site. 
  • We are a safe-for-work site. Lots of workplaces block sites containing inappropriate content and if we have a site full of what's typically considered inappropriate content, people may not be able to view VB at work. 
  • An awesome goal here at VB would be to get some vegan-friendly/veg-friendly sponsors vs. some of the more annoying ads you see currently. Very few sponsors want to get involved with a site that contains a ton of inappropriate content - it just looks shady as heck. 

 

We have a filter for cussing, but although we have a filter. We'd rather people didn't use extreme swear words, because if words are oddly censored out everywhere it can look just as shady as if the actual words were posted.

 

Way back in 04 (the furthest back I can find) the rules noted:

 

 

So this is in no way a new rule. It's been this way for a long time. 

 

__________________________________________________

 

It is virtually impossible that you have not caught others using what you call “bad language”. That is plain to see. What is far more likely to explain this is that you have puppet rules that you apply when you want to target someone.

The following was in the forum rules until days ago:

Unhelpful forum members do the following…

...

Inspire confusion and make you think, “WTF?!” or “What is your point?

 

This makes it clear that this place is run by hypocrites who apply the rules against whom they wish. If they were running a country they would throw political opponents in jail for jay walking (or less).

 

If workplaces adopted rules that prohibit talking about sex would you apply them here? Again idiotic rules by others should not dictate the terms of this forum.

 

If the sponsors wanted us to stop talking about sex would we obey? How much power are we going to hand over to sponsors? Are we going to give up our morals and freedoms for money? It is selling out and neither is a good reason to stop “profanity”, which you only do when you please against whom you please even though the administration itself uses it.

 

Have you ever heard the saying I completely disagree with what you say but will fight for your right to say it? I opened a thread inquiring as to why my posts were being held and why my signature with a quote from a philosopher (which I have had for days) was removed. Why was it not posted? This administration shall not be held accountable for their actions? Videos of Metallica singing about freedom are offensive? What happened to my posts? And you claim it is not targeting?

 

Did you ever think that what might drive sponsors away is tyrannical administrations who “rule” Gaddafi style? People who are not enlightened enough to honour the basic freedoms of humanity. People who will hold members on a short leash and give them freedom only to express mainstream ideas which turns forums into congregations of idiots agreeing and pretending to believe what they say. Now we are censoring ideas? Forums are run by people who do not understand the main idea behind forums and free speech. People who wish to impose their views on others by force. People who rule and tell others what to do but cannot handle criticism and cannot be held accountable for their actions. Galileo Socrates and Giordano Bruno taught us nothing.

 

If you are not the one responsible for not allowing my posts through (violating my freedom of speech) then I apologize to you personally but get your house in order and end that injustice soon.

 

Whether or not you want you shall hear Metallica (you did not want it in the song thread so here it is):

 

 

Quote:
Do you see what I see?
Truth is an offense
You silence for your confidence

Do you hear what I hear?
Doors are slamming shut
Limit your imagination
Keep you where they must

Do you feel what I feel?
Bittering distress
Who decides what you express?

Do you take what I take?
Endurance is the word
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd

Doesn't matter what you see
Or into it what you read
You can do it your own way
If it's done just how I say

Independence limited
Freedom of choice is made for you, my friend
Freedom of speech is words that they will bend
Freedom with their exception

Do you fear what I fear?
Living properly
Truths to you are lies to me

Do you choose what I choose?
More alternatives
Energy derives from both the plus and negative

Do you need what I need?
Boundaries overthrown
Look inside
To each his own

Do you trust what I trust?
Me, myself and I
Penetrate the smoke screen
I see through the selfish lie

Doesn't matter what you see
Or into it what you read
You can do it your own way
If it's done just how I say

Independence limited
Freedom of choice is made for you, my friend
Freedom of speech is words that they will bend
Freedom with their exception

(Bridge and solo)

Do you know what I know?
Your money and your wealth
You silence just to hear yourself

Do you want what I want?
Desire not a thing
I hunger after independence
Lengthen freedom's ring

Doesn't matter what you see
Or into it what you read
You can do it your own way
If it's done just how I say

Independence limited
Freedom of choice is made for you, my friend
Freedom of speech is words that they will bend
Freedom no longer frees you

Doesn't matter what you see
Or into it what you read
You can do it your own way
If it's done just how I say

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

 

 

Some people get caught using bad language, others don't. We have 8 mods. There's no way 8 mods can read every single post. 

 

We can make our forum more accessible to workplaces that have adopted filter rules, because we have many people who access VB at work or at school. I'm sure they want to continue to be able to do so. 

 

As for sponsors, it takes money to run a forum plain and simple. We can use sponsors who don't match up with our content or try to attract those who do. I don't see it as selling out. I see that as beneficial for the community and sponsors. Why not look at vegan ads instead of ads for lame products? If there's a ton of people here who don't care if we get decent sponsors, fine, hopefully they'll all post below, I'll be aware of it and I can cross that concern off my list. 

 

You weren't targeted, that I know of, and I had no idea you've been using bad language for "quite a while" until you said that. We've needed to be more consistent for a while with regards to the rules. No one, not even the mods are perfect so if mistakes have been made, sorry, but that's life when you have human vs. robot mods. Also, it's a lot of work to redo the rules in order to make them fair for everyone. It's taking some time. Also, as noted above, it's not like the mods read every post you, or anyone else makes.

 

As for how we determine the misspelling cut off point, really all we can do is go with the old rule that I posted above:

 

 

I think it's pretty clear what the rule above is saying. I'd think most folks here would agree. 

 

Again, we're rewriting the rules so that they're more transparent and also more consistent. I'm hoping to post the mod guidelines here in site support very soon so that everyone can comment on them. Hopefully an update to both community and mod guidelines will result in people not feeling targeted along with more consistency. 

Cato is offline  
#6 Old 06-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post

 

And this bad language you speak of is common at veggieboards. Why was I targeted? Others have bypassed the filters as I have and their posts have been ignored. Or do you simply find people you want to target and apply the rules selectively? Smells like tyranny to me.

 

So it's ok for families to hear "sex" but it's not ok to hear "f..."? What precisely is the difference in meaning? And while we are at it, why was 'WTF' written in the rules page up until recently. Do any of you know what 'WTF' stands for? Pure hypocrisy!

 

We cannot limit our freedom because some workplaces have adopted ridiculous rules. We might as well ban blasphemy because some Islamic nations do not allow it (and some posters in those nations might miss out).

 

Now we are selling ourselves to the highest bidder? Perhaps we would also get more sponsors if we only allowed mild arguing (often not the case here). There are many things we can do to attract sponsors, maybe we should name the forum after them. That does not mean we should do it.

 

As for misspelling etc how do you decide the cutoff point? Is 'sheet' profane, is 'zhet' profane, is 'hsti' profane? How do you determine if a word is a a transformation of a profane word or not? Precisely how is that decided?

 

Furthermore, I and others have used such words for quite a while. Why was I targeted now? Or do you guys simply use this as an excuse to get rid of people you disagree with but cannot openly argue against? Must the members become docile idiots who place the morality of the administration before their own to be in good standing? Are you so threatened by dissidents? This is nothing new though we had this in Communism, good stuff!

 

 

 

 

 

Some people get caught using bad language, others don't. We have 8 mods. There's no way 8 mods can read every single post. 

 

We can make our forum more accessible to workplaces that have adopted filter rules, because we have many people who access VB at work or at school. I'm sure they want to continue to be able to do so. 

 

As for sponsors, it takes money to run a forum plain and simple. We can use sponsors who don't match up with our content or try to attract those who do. I don't see it as selling out. I see that as beneficial for the community and sponsors. Why not look at vegan ads instead of ads for lame products? If there's a ton of people here who don't care if we get decent sponsors, fine, hopefully they'll all post below, I'll be aware of it and I can cross that concern off my list. 

 

You weren't targeted, that I know of, and I had no idea you've been using bad language for "quite a while" until you said that. We've needed to be more consistent for a while with regards to the rules. No one, not even the mods are perfect so if mistakes have been made, sorry, but that's life when you have human vs. robot mods. Also, it's a lot of work to redo the rules in order to make them fair for everyone. It's taking some time. Also, as noted above, it's not like the mods read every post you, or anyone else makes.

 

As for how we determine the misspelling cut off point, really all we can do is go with the old rule that I posted above:

 

Quote:

 

This site is programmed with a list of words that are considered profane under any context and these words are not allowed to be posted. Attempting to bypass the censor by misspelling, inserting spaces or symbols, transposing letters, using look-alike symbols, or any other method is not allowed. The only acceptable method of posting one of these profane words is to completely obscure it, making it impossible to determine what the word is without context.

 

I think it's pretty clear what the rule above is saying. I'd think most folks here would agree. 

 

Again, we're rewriting the rules so that they're more transparent and also more consistent. I'm hoping to post the mod guidelines here in site support very soon so that everyone can comment on them. Hopefully an update to both community and mod guidelines will result in people not feeling targeted along with more consistency. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#7 Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 774

It is virtually impossible that you have not caught others using what you call “bad language”. That is plain to see. What is far more likely to explain this is that you have puppet rules that you apply when you want to target someone.

The following was in the forum rules until days ago:

Unhelpful forum members do the following…

...

Inspire confusion and make you think, “WTF?!” or “What is your point?

 

This makes it clear that this place is run by hypocrites who apply the rules against whom they wish. If they were running a country they would throw political opponents in jail for jay walking (or less).

 

If workplaces adopted rules that prohibit talking about sex would you apply them here? Again idiotic rules by others should not dictate the terms of this forum.

 

If the sponsors wanted us to stop talking about sex would we obey? How much power are we going to hand over to sponsors? Are we going to give up our morals and freedoms for money? It is selling out and neither is a good reason to stop “profanity”, which you only do when you please against whom you please even though the administration itself uses it.

 

Have you ever heard the saying I completely disagree with what you say but will fight for your right to say it? I opened a thread inquiring as to why my posts were being held and why my signature with a quote from a philosopher (which I have had for days) was removed. Why was it not posted? This administration shall not be held accountable for their actions? Videos of Metallica singing about freedom are offensive? What happened to my posts? And you claim it is not targeting?

 

Did you ever think that what might drive sponsors away is tyrannical administrations who “rule” Gaddafi style? People who are not enlightened enough to honour the basic freedoms of humanity. People who will hold members on a short leash and give them freedom only to express mainstream ideas which turns forums into congregations of idiots agreeing and pretending to believe what they say. Now we are censoring ideas? Forums are run by people who do not understand the main idea behind forums and free speech. People who wish to impose their views on others by force. People who rule and tell others what to do but cannot handle criticism and cannot be held accountable for their actions. Galileo Socrates and Giordano Bruno taught us nothing.

 

If you are not the one responsible for not allowing my posts through (violating my freedom of speech) then I apologize to you personally but get your house in order and end that injustice soon.

 

Whether or not you want you shall hear Metallica (you did not want it in the song thread so here it is):

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

 

 

Some people get caught using bad language, others don't. We have 8 mods. There's no way 8 mods can read every single post. 

 

We can make our forum more accessible to workplaces that have adopted filter rules, because we have many people who access VB at work or at school. I'm sure they want to continue to be able to do so. 

 

As for sponsors, it takes money to run a forum plain and simple. We can use sponsors who don't match up with our content or try to attract those who do. I don't see it as selling out. I see that as beneficial for the community and sponsors. Why not look at vegan ads instead of ads for lame products? If there's a ton of people here who don't care if we get decent sponsors, fine, hopefully they'll all post below, I'll be aware of it and I can cross that concern off my list. 

 

You weren't targeted, that I know of, and I had no idea you've been using bad language for "quite a while" until you said that. We've needed to be more consistent for a while with regards to the rules. No one, not even the mods are perfect so if mistakes have been made, sorry, but that's life when you have human vs. robot mods. Also, it's a lot of work to redo the rules in order to make them fair for everyone. It's taking some time. Also, as noted above, it's not like the mods read every post you, or anyone else makes.

 

As for how we determine the misspelling cut off point, really all we can do is go with the old rule that I posted above:

 

 

I think it's pretty clear what the rule above is saying. I'd think most folks here would agree. 

 

Again, we're rewriting the rules so that they're more transparent and also more consistent. I'm hoping to post the mod guidelines here in site support very soon so that everyone can comment on them. Hopefully an update to both community and mod guidelines will result in people not feeling targeted along with more consistency. 

Cato is offline  
#8 Old 06-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Unintentionally Kittened
 
faded_amaranth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 683

This post isn't really adding to the discussion, it's just something that's been in the back of my mind for a while and it's kinda related.

The following are some sentences to see how the filter handles foul language and fowl language:
A **** is a male bird.
A cockerel is a male chick.
A male peafowl is a peacock.
I doubt I'd ever wear a cocktail dress, they are too skimpy for me.
Margaritas are a common **** tail.
They often host ****-tail parties.
(I apologize about this one, I don't like using profanity around people how are offended by it.) Cockblock / cockblocked, I was very surprised to see this here given that one can't even use the alternative name for a rooster, gobbler/tom, etc.
Let's do some conjugations of the verb 'to ****' as in, 'to **** a gun' or 'to **** an ear.' ****, cocked, *****, cocking.

 

:P


A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
faded_amaranth is offline  
#9 Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post

This post isn't really adding to the discussion, it's just something that's been in the back of my mind for a while and it's kinda related.

The following are some sentences to see how the filter handles foul language and fowl language:
A **** is a male bird.
A cockerel is a male chick.
A male peafowl is a peacock.
I doubt I'd ever wear a cocktail dress, they are too skimpy for me.
Margaritas are a common **** tail.
They often host ****-tail parties.
(I apologize about this one, I don't like using profanity around people how are offended by it.) Cockblock / cockblocked, I was very surprised to see this here given that one can't even use the alternative name for a rooster, gobbler/tom, etc.
Let's do some conjugations of the verb 'to ****' as in, 'to **** a gun' or 'to **** an ear.' ****, cocked, *****, cocking.

 

:P

 

If you want to see how the system handles cussing, here's how.

 

These are the blocked words:

 

 

 

 

VBCensoredWords.txt 0k .txt file

 

 

 

The words in the brackets mean that the word is blocked aggressively, even if it appears partially in another word. The words without brackets means that we block it when it's used as a single word in that exact spelling only.


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#10 Old 06-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761

Also, on the note of blocked words, I didn't come up with this list. It was apparently created years ago. 

 

Additionally, we can add more words if we like. For example if folks start using a specific word too much or members ask for a different word to be on the list. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#11 Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post

It is virtually impossible that you have not caught others using what you call “bad language”. That is plain to see. What is far more likely to explain this is that you have puppet rules that you apply when you want to target someone.

The following was in the forum rules until days ago:

Unhelpful forum members do the following…

...

Inspire confusion and make you think, “WTF?!” or “What is your point?

 

This makes it clear that this place is run by hypocrites who apply the rules against whom they wish. If they were running a country they would throw political opponents in jail for jay walking (or less).

 

If workplaces adopted rules that prohibit talking about sex would you apply them here? Again idiotic rules by others should not dictate the terms of this forum.

 

If the sponsors wanted us to stop talking about sex would we obey? How much power are we going to hand over to sponsors? Are we going to give up our morals and freedoms for money? It is selling out and neither is a good reason to stop “profanity”, which you only do when you please against whom you please even though the administration itself uses it.

 

Have you ever heard the saying I completely disagree with what you say but will fight for your right to say it? I opened a thread inquiring as to why my posts were being held and why my signature with a quote from a philosopher (which I have had for days) was removed. Why was it not posted? This administration shall not be held accountable for their actions? Videos of Metallica singing about freedom are offensive? What happened to my posts? And you claim it is not targeting?

 

If you are not the one responsible for not allowing my posts through (violating my freedom of speech) then I apologize to you personally but get your house in order and end that injustice soon.

 

 

It would be virtually impossible that we would have never caught anyone cussing but you. Do you truly believe you're the only person in the history of VB ever to be given a warning or infraction for using blocked language?? Of course we have had this issue with other people over the years.

 

You don't hear about it when we catch other people breaking rules for the same reason we did not post your question asking why you're on probation, because it's mod policy to NOT discuss other people's infractions or warnings or what have you publicly.  If you have questions about an infraction, warning, ban or anything, email a mod. We don't discuss what others do with the rest of the community. 

 

Metallica is fine BTW your post likely just had not made it through the mod filter yet. 

Cato likes this.

~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#12 Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 774

Why won't you address the issue about the administration using profane language which was only removed when I brought it up as a defense? Who got probation for it?

 

I, you and everyone here knows that the administration has seen "profanity" and chosen to ignore it. Why do you challenge this? Anyone who has posted here long enough knows this! You aren't fooling anyone! The only reason I am not bringing up examples is because I am not a snitch who reports those who break these ridiculous rules that even the administration breaks. I have used "profanity" for a while and yet now that I have chosen to be more free and truthful about my thoughts I am getting infractions. That is a coincidence? Pure nonsense! Again it is far more likely you apply the rules (which you yourself break) selectively against people you see as dissidents. You want to treat members as poodles and dictate their thoughts and ideology? Feeling important are we?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

It would be virtually impossible that we would have never caught anyone cussing but you. Do you truly believe you're the only person in the history of VB ever to be given a warning or infraction for using blocked language?? Of course we have had this issue with other people over the years.

 

You don't hear about it when we catch other people breaking rules for the same reason we did not post your question asking why you're on probation, because it's mod policy to NOT discuss other people's infractions or warnings or what have you publicly.  If you have questions about an infraction, warning, ban or anything, email a mod. We don't discuss what others do with the rest of the community. 

 

Metallica is fine BTW your post likely just had not made it through the mod filter yet. 

Cato is offline  
#13 Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 774

Are those the only words we can't use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

 

If you want to see how the system handles cussing, here's how.

 

These are the blocked words:

 

 

 

 

VBCensoredWords.txt 0k .txt file

 

 

 

The words in the brackets mean that the word is blocked aggressively, even if it appears partially in another word. The words without brackets means that we block it when it's used as a single word in that exact spelling only.

Cato is offline  
#14 Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 774

Oh and if you got a sponsor that wanted profanity would you allow it?

Cato is offline  
#15 Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jumpingspider22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

It would be virtually impossible that we would have never caught anyone cussing but you. Do you truly believe you're the only person in the history of VB ever to be given a warning or infraction for using blocked language?? Of course we have had this issue with other people over the years.

 

You don't hear about it when we catch other people breaking rules for the same reason we did not post your question asking why you're on probation, because it's mod policy to NOT discuss other people's infractions or warnings or what have you publicly.  If you have questions about an infraction, warning, ban or anything, email a mod. We don't discuss what others do with the rest of the community. 

 

Metallica is fine BTW your post likely just had not made it through the mod filter yet. 

How does probation work? What happens when you get an infraction? Where can I find more info on these things?

 

And what is this about the quote from a philosopher on Cato's signature?

jumpingspider22 is offline  
#16 Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingspider22 View Post

How does probation work? What happens when you get an infraction? Where can I find more info on these things?

 

 

Right now you can read the community guidelines, specifically the rule area to learn about probation and such BUT as I've been saying, we're (the mods) smack in the middle of re-writing the rules. We're rewriting the rules for a few reasons:

 

  • To make them more consistent. 
  • To make them more based on member responsibility - less on mods jumping in to "fix" stuff.
  • To ensure all the mods are clear on what to do in specific situations and to ensure that all members feel like they're not targeted by anyone and that everyone is following the same rules. 

 

It's not like the rules have been crazy disorganized or that mods have been willy nilly issuing infractions, it's just that the old rules are long, hard to get through and not totally user or community friendly.  We're attempting to lighten them up.

 

I'm hoping that by mid week we will post not only the new rules here (over the old rules) but also post the mod guidelines here in site support so that everyone in the community feels like they have the ability to give us input. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#17 Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post

Are those the only words we can't use?

Those are the only words that are set up to be blocked. Again, we have a safe-for-work, school, family policy members should follow. We figure most people understand what that means and there's no reason to add every sort of word to the filter. We could I guess, add a dozen more words to the filter, or we could assume that people just want this place to be ok for work so they won't use language they know is inappropriate. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post

Why won't you address the issue about the administration using profane language which was only removed when I brought it up as a defense? Who got probation for it?

 

I, you and everyone here knows that the administration has seen "profanity" and chosen to ignore it. Why do you challenge this? Anyone who has posted here long enough knows this! You aren't fooling anyone! The only reason I am not bringing up examples is because I am not a snitch who reports those who break these ridiculous rules that even the administration breaks. I have used "profanity" for a while and yet now that I have chosen to be more free and truthful about my thoughts I am getting infractions. That is a coincidence? Pure nonsense! Again it is far more likely you apply the rules (which you yourself break) selectively against people you see as dissidents. You want to treat members as poodles and dictate their thoughts and ideology? Feeling important are we?

 

Again, we don't discuss rules and other members publicly. I will message you though. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post

Oh and if you got a sponsor that wanted profanity would you allow it?

 

Why, are you interested? 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#18 Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,399
Nvm:)
Cato likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
#19 Old 06-29-2013, 01:04 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 774

Why did you remove it, I liked it, put it back, I demand it :)

But defiance is different from soap operas. There are women who are defiant and I love them. What those women did at the Vatican and to Putin was great! Although I got the feeling Putin did not mind.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Nvm:)
Cato is offline  
#20 Old 06-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 774

I want to know which words are forbidden and which aren't so that I may be aware of the rules. Even words with the same meaning apparently have different statuses so this is very confusing. How can I know if word is profane or not. And then even their misspells are profane. I would like you and the other mods to compile a complete list of words and misspells which are not allowed so that we may have a way of following the rules and are not left guessing whether we have followed the rules or not.

 

If the forum is having hard financial times maybe I should post some nude pics and sell myself to the highest bidder.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Those are the only words that are set up to be blocked. Again, we have a safe-for-work, school, family policy members should follow. We figure most people understand what that means and there's no reason to add every sort of word to the filter. We could I guess, add a dozen more words to the filter, or we could assume that people just want this place to be ok for work so they won't use language they know is inappropriate. 

Again, we don't discuss rules and other members publicly. I will message you though. 

 

Why, are you interested? 

Cato is offline  
#21 Old 06-29-2013, 02:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lentil City, UK
Posts: 2,535

I got banned from another veg*n forum after two posts.  Both were helpful, neither was argumentative.  The issue, apparently, was the information on my profile which was exactly the same as on here ('move along please, nothing to see here').  This was seen as against forum rules and they deactivated my account!  Major overreaction in my opinion but hey - their forum, their rules.  I don't feel I'm missing out by not being a member and I'm sure they feel the same way in return naughty.gif

60225 is offline  
#22 Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

I got banned from another veg*n forum after two posts.  Both were helpful, neither was argumentative.  The issue, apparently, was the information on my profile which was exactly the same as on here ('move along please, nothing to see here').  This was seen as against forum rules and they deactivated my account!  Major overreaction in my opinion but hey - their forum, their rules.  I don't feel I'm missing out by not being a member and I'm sure they feel the same way in return naughty.gif

 

That's the strangest thing I've ever heard of. It did make me want to go see your profile, so I did. I don't get why anything in there would be against any rules anywhere. Maybe they get trolls who use that term or something but still... weird. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#23 Old 06-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Unintentionally Kittened
 
faded_amaranth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 683

Thanks for posting that, Jennifer C, but I'll stick to figuring them out on my own; it's more. . . interesting... that way.
Speaking of adding words to the list, I know a while ago there were a few people on here who wanted to filter meat words so there would be less non-vegetarian adds :p but it doesn't seem like that's a big problem anymore.


A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
faded_amaranth is offline  
#24 Old 06-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lentil City, UK
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

 

That's the strangest thing I've ever heard of. It did make me want to go see your profile, so I did. I don't get why anything in there would be against any rules anywhere. Maybe they get trolls who use that term or something but still... weird. 

 

It was pretty bizarre I must admit!  I exchanged emails with Admin and apparently you have to put something meaningful and mine didn't cut the mustard :)  I'd already had to officially 'classify' myself from a list something like your current poll in order to register.  It then took two days to authorise my account.  Both of my comments were held for a number of hours being moderated and then posted.  Next day I log on to find my account has been deactivated.  It was like I'd already run a marathon and then someone moved the finish line another 26 miles!

 

I'd had an email saying my account had not been approved and to re-register - well that didn't make sense as I'd already received 'approval' and posted twice!  The email I got in response to a polite enquiry as to why I could no longer log on contained the phrase "This may happen if you eg clearly ignore the questions  you are asked when you register...(or just post nonsense in response to them)"  This, apparently, referred to the wording in my profile - I think I was booted off under the 'just post nonsense' caveat because I didn't put something personal or deep and meaningful  rolleyes.gif  

60225 is offline  
#25 Old 06-29-2013, 11:05 AM
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 463

I looked at that forum (and others) when I switched to vegan. I found a few threads that really disturbed me, it seemed to me that the same admin was running a very hostile dictatorship.

 

Needless to say, I kept looking!

Kath is offline  
#26 Old 06-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post

I looked at that forum (and others) when I switched to vegan. I found a few threads that really disturbed me, it seemed to me that Korn was running a very hostile dictatorship.

 

Needless to say, I kept looking!

Korn? Is that another forum mod? If so, we should keep names out of it. 

 

All forums are different though, this is true. The other 2 forums I have most actively frequented, besides VB was a writers forum and an unschooling forum and like any niche both had their own rules. Some good, some not, some insane. I actually had to try out 4 or 5 different unschool/homeschool forums before I found one that didn't drive me nuts and that was actually helpful to me. 

 

I haven't joined other veggie forums, but I've visited some and the rules run differently all over. Some allow meat eaters, others are strict vegan only, and so on. One thing I haven't found - because I looked a few years ago was a vegetarian forum that was vegetarian only - without vegans or meat eaters. I never saw one like that. It was weird. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#27 Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
I guess if there was a vegetarian only forum, one would have to leave it if one went vegan.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#28 Old 06-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I guess if there was a vegetarian only forum, one would have to leave it if one went vegan.

That's true and would be awkward. I also guess that fewer folks might go vegan without vegans around. At the time I was just interested in vegetarian stuff though, not thinking ahead much. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#29 Old 06-29-2013, 01:44 PM
 
'IckenNoodleSoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: not here
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

That's true and would be awkward. I also guess that fewer folks might go vegan without vegans around. At the time I was just interested in vegetarian stuff though, not thinking ahead much. 

 

I do think there are bonuses to the VB vegan osmosis, in that is it does inspire veggies to learn more and explore more about veganism.

 

The downside is that it chases newb vegetarians away. I get the impression this has been happening here for years. Though it did seem to lighten up a bit, for a short time during my time as a member.

 

Maybe if revenue were a motivator, Huddler might be inclined to introduce more vegetarian-friendly rules to encourage more vegetarians who are currently disinclined to partiicpate, to do so?


The sky is purple and things are right every day

'IckenNoodleSoup is offline  
#30 Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

I do think there are bonuses to the VB vegan osmosis, in that is it does inspire veggies to learn more and explore more about veganism.

The downside is that it chases newb vegetarians away. I get the impression this has been happening here for years. Though it did seem to lighten up a bit, for a short time during my time as a member.

Maybe if revenue were a motivator, Huddler might be inclined to introduce more vegetarian-friendly rules to encourage more vegetarians who are currently disinclined to partiicpate, to do so?

It happens in waves.
River is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off