An Important Note from the Mods **Please Read** - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Beginner

The atmosphere on VeggieBoards lately has created concern among the moderators. There has been a noticeable increase in bullying and many reports by users (long time members AND newbies) feeling ganged-up on. We are noticing a general lack of respect for those with minority opinions. Each day, the moderators are cleaning up threads that have been derailed with off-topic posts, "inside jokes", and snarky remarks that allow a select few to laugh while others struggle to understand. This does not promote a feeling of community, but instead, an environment where members seeking support are instead faced with cliques, ridicule, and judgement.

Please consider this announcement to be a reminder: This is a SUPPORT forum. Please make an attempt to contribute in a meaningful way. We do not expect you to agree with everyone, but please consider the message you want to send before posting. Whether it be a message of support or to engage in a discussion, we simply ask that posters maintain a tone of consideration and respect. This includes not posting things that will clearly be inflammatory or taken the wrong way simply to see how others react.

We want VB to be a fun and safe place for vegetarians on the internet. The moderators will be taking extra initiative to dissolve negativity, deal with unfriendly behaviors, and cultivate a sense of community. This will include derogatory posts, the inside jokes, and bullying and ganging up, as well as intentionally inflammatory posts or repeatedly unclear posts. Please work with us to make VB a better place.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or contact any moderator via private message.

Thank you.
VB Moderator Team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Beginner

Can I still use memes?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

Please consider this announcement to be a reminder: This is a SUPPORT forum.

Are you talking about the entire board being a "support forum" now? As in, there is no descent allowed WRT opinion?

m8itcanw8.com
#4 Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Are you talking about the entire board being a "support forum" now? As in, there is no descent allowed WRT opinion?

I think what she is saying to everyone is "Don't be a dick."

Unfortunately, that might be hard for some members.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#5 Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

No, nothing has changed with regards to the various forums under the VeggieBoards banner: the Vegetarian and Vegan Support Forums will remain as they always has been, so will the Compost Heap. Of course there will be dissent and differences - that's part of the fun for a lot of people.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

This, to put it bluntly.
#7 Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

No, nothing has changed with regards to the various forums under the VeggieBoards banner: the Vegetarian and Vegan Support Forums will remain as they always has been, so will the Compost Heap. Of course there will be dissent and differences - that's part of the fun for a lot of people.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

m8itcanw8.com
#8 Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Thank you.
VB Moderator Team

No, thank YOU!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#9 Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Beginner

Respect \\o/

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/ https://www.eff.org/ https://www.torproject.org/

http://www.enigmail.net/  http://www.openbsd.org/  https://www.ixquick.com/

http://www.opennicproject.org/ https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#10 Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Unfortunately, that might be hard for some members.

My infraction history says that I don't have a lot to worry about in that area.

m8itcanw8.com
#11 Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:

My infraction history says that I don't have a lot to worry about in that area.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#12 Old 02-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

No, thank YOU!

^^This
#13 Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Beginner

Yes, to clarify, of course disagreement is allowed. What we have been noticing a lot of lately though is disrespect and rudeness. Even in the Compost Heap, you should treat other people nicely, respectfully, and like human beings with real feelings and experiences.
#14 Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Yes, to clarify, of course disagreement is allowed. What we have been noticing a lot of lately though is disrespect and rudeness. Even in the Compost Heap, you should treat other people nicely, respectfully, and like human beings with real feelings and experiences.

Yeah I agree. I've gone back later and read a few things I've typed and noticed that it came across as kind of dickish which really wasn't my intent but nonetheless...
#15 Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Yeah I agree. I've gone back later and read a few things I've typed and noticed that it came across as kind of dickish which really wasn't my intent but nonetheless...

Guilty too.

I don't think my brain can cope with an idea and people both at the same time.
#16 Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Please make an attempt to contribute in a meaningful way.

Does writing posts about projectile vomiting or aliens constitute such an attempt? *worried*

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#17 Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I feel the same way about my posts. Sometimes I get carried away and maybe should take 5 mins to cool down before posting. I do think that a very tiny amount of people on here go out of their way to be objectionable though, I'm not entirely sure what their motivation is as it is supposed to be a forum where vegetarians and vegans can support one another.
#18 Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I feel the same way about my posts. Sometimes I get carried away and maybe should take 5 mins to cool down before posting.

We all have certain topics and opinions that we are very passionate about and when those topics and opinions are opposed or challenged by others we tend to lash out and go into attack mode. It's difficult to remember to take a minute (after initially screaming at the computer screen of course) breath, and calm down before posting.
#19 Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Each day, the moderators are cleaning up threads that have been derailed with off-topic posts, "inside jokes", and snarky remarks that allow a select few to laugh while others struggle to understand. This does not promote a feeling of community

I'm not sure what you mean by inside jokes and snarky comments, but to me a "community" cannot really exist without the development of some high context terms and methods of communication. Likewise, if the whole off topic/on topic thing is too rigidly enforced--as well as the whole "A thread already exists for this topic"--it threatens to turn a forum into more of a reference index than a "community".
#20 Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by inside jokes and snarky comments, but to me a "community" cannot really exist without the development of some high context terms and methods of communication. Likewise, if the whole off topic/on topic thing is too rigidly enforced--as well as the whole "A thread already exists for this topic"--it threatens to turn a forum into more of a reference index than a "community".

The problem we're referring to is, on numerous occasions, threads have been so severely derailed by off-topic banter/inside jokes that it is difficult for other members to actually comment and continue discussing the actual topic (or wherever that topic leads). The means that pages and pages of random posting has to be deleted by the mods so that actual discussions can occur.

In my non-mod opinion, this type of thing is very disrespectful to those who are trying to have an actual discussion about something. If you have nothing to add to a particular topic, why not just leave that particular thread as opposed to just posting random stuff with friends and derailing the discussion?
#21 Old 02-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Beginner

Yes Thanks for this post and I agree we all are human , we fail once an awhile but every post should not be slamming people that you disagree with, I agree with going back to this being a support board and to be peaceful about things
#22 Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Beginner

I was part of this problem. Sorry.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#23 Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Beginner

I never slam people who I disagree with.

It's far more common for me to slam morons though.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#24 Old 02-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Beginner

I'm pretty sure that the "inside joke" part is aimed at me for starting the whole mullusks thing, which either way I'd like to apologize for.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#25 Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Beginner

Not necessarily, I can come up with more recent inside jokes than I have fingers to count on.

#26 Old 02-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:

The atmosphere on VeggieBoards lately has created concern among the moderators. There has been a noticeable increase in bullying and many reports by users (long time members AND newbies) feeling ganged-up on. We are noticing a general lack of respect for those with minority opinions.

I'm glad the Mods are acknowledging these issues, but this type of behavior has been part of VB for many years now...

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#27 Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I'm glad the Mods are acknowledging these issues, but this type of behavior has been part of VB for many years now...

For what it's worth, I don't think a few raccoons/mullusks/whatever the current joke is, is a bigger problem than the bullying, putting down, and general meanness that certain members have been getting away with for a really, really long time.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#28 Old 02-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Beginner

I take full responsibility.
#29 Old 02-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Beginner

As someone who has been a member for years (gosh, almost 10 now), but is using a new username I have really seen this change in VB even from just 4 years ago. So I'm glad this is being sad publicly. I've been thinking since I've been back that things just seem a lot less compassionate and loving around here than they used to. Have there always been some rude posts? Absolutely. But it used to just be one or two members, whereas now it seems like a *lot* more people are acting this way. Anyways, just giving a thumbs up
#30 Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

As someone who has been a member for years (gosh, almost 10 now), but is using a new username I have really seen this change in VB even from just 4 years ago. So I'm glad this is being sad publicly. I've been thinking since I've been back that things just seem a lot less compassionate and loving around here than they used to. Have there always been some rude posts? Absolutely. But it used to just be one or two members, whereas now it seems like a *lot* more people are acting this way. Anyways, just giving a thumbs up

Who were you before, if you don't mind me asking?

www.animal-adoptions.org

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page