Frequently Asked Questions - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 11-17-2001, 07:51 AM
Administrator

What are "Support Forums"?

The forums that make up the "support forums" category are for people who support the issues being discussed. If your comment is not in support of the issues being discussed then it should be posted elsewhere (more than likely in the Compost Heap). If your comment is not in support of the issues being discussed and you post anyway you run the risk of having your post edited or deleted and/or having your posting privileges suspended.

If you have questions please contact a moderator prior to posting.

What do I do if have a problem with another member?

If your problem is with a specific post report the post to a moderator. The moderators will review the post and act accordingly.

You can also ignore posts by certain users by going into your control panel, selecting "edit ignore list," and adding their member name.

If for some reason the problem persists contact one of our moderators directly through the private messaging system. If the moderator is unable to resolve the issue within a reasonable amount of time you may contact the administrator.

How do I add a picture next to my posts?

These are commonly referred to as avatars. Information can be found here...

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=13380

If you don't like seeing avatars you can turn them off in your control panel.

How do I change my title?

Click the "edit profile" link in the user cp, scroll down to the "custom user text" box, enter your desired title, then click "save" at the bottom of the page. Done.

How do I add a signature?

Click the "edit signature" link in the user cp, enter your desired signature, then click "save" at the bottom of the page. Done.

Signatures should be five lines or less (on a 1024x768 display) and may not contain HTML, vB code, or images.

If you don't like seeing signatures you can turn them off in your control panel.

Why do some envelope icons in the thread lists have dots?

The dots indicate which threads you have posted in.

Do private events only show on my calendar or can they be seen by everyone?

Private events can only be seen by you, public events can be seen by everyone.
Mattress likes this.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2001, 07:56 AM
Administrator

What is the difference between an administrator, supermoderator, and moderator?

Administrators have complete access to everything - including the ability to edit/delete/move posts in all forums, the ability to suspend or ban members, and the ability to alter the layout and structure of the forums.

Supermoderators have the ability to edit/delete/move posts in all forums and the ability to suspend or ban members.

Moderators have the ability to edit/delete/move posts in specific forums and the ability to suspend or ban members.

How can I become a moderator?

We generally don't consider requests. When needed, we (the current moderators and myself) discuss who we think is best suited for the job. You can make a good impression by posting often, being friendly, and assisting those that need help.

#3 Old 11-26-2001, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Why am I having trouble accessing my private messages?

There is a limit to how many messages you can store. Once you have reached your limit you may experience difficulty sending and/or receiving additional messages.

This limit includes the total number of messages in all folders - not just your inbox.

If you have reached the you can download messages you would like to keep to your computer and/or delete any messages you no longer need.

The message limit for regular members is 50. The message limit for Contributing Members is 200.

#4 Old 12-12-2001, 09:29 PM
Administrator

I just registered but it won't let me post. Why?

Once you submit the registration form you should receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your e-mail address. Until you confirm your e-mail address you will not be able to post.

Some ISP's and e-mail programs filter these confirmation e-mails as spam. Please check your "spam" or "junk" folder for a message from VeggieBoards.

If you do not receive this e-mail within one hour, or if you've deleted it, please contact us to have your membership approved.

#5 Old 12-15-2001, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Why are there omni's here? Isn't this a vegetarian board?

The following was recently added to our Terms of Service...

Quote:
We also require that you be vegetarian or interested in eliminating/reducing the amount of meat in your diet.

Though we have every intention of enforcing this, there are a few omni's who were "grandfathered in." For the most part they are respectful and post in the appropriate forums.

Keep in mind the "Support Forums" are off limits to those with opposing views. If you find a comment that does not belong in the "Support Forums" you can make us aware of it by reporting the post.

#6 Old 12-15-2001, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Why did I have to register just to be able to read the boards?

Note: This is only enabled when needed.

Every so often a link to VeggieBoards will end up on a message board that opposes vegetarianism or animal rights/welfare. Often times the members of those boards feel compelled to come over and engage in troll-like behaviors.

The easiest way to control this is to temporarily require registration in order to view messages. It also gives us the opportunity to capture the IP address of those who may be violating the law or their ISP's terms of service.

#7 Old 02-19-2002, 09:34 AM
Administrator

What does --- mean?

AR - animal rights

ARA - animal rights activist

HFS - health food store

omni - omnivore (meat-eater)

VB - VeggieBoards

VO - Vegan Outreach

VS - VegSource

VW - VegWeb

ETA - Edited to add

TOS - Terms of Service (our rules) - link at bottom of page.

We get this one a lot...

What does veg*n mean?

Veg*n is a shortcut for describing both vegetarians and vegans. For instance, I could say "vegetarians and vegans don't eat meat" or I could just say "veg*ns don't eat meat."

#8 Old 07-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Administrator

How long has VeggieBoards been online?

VeggieBoards first went online in December of 2000 running UBB software. When we switched to vBulletin software in September of 2001 we lost all of our posts and members and basically had to start over.

I started VeggieBoards because I had been visiting the Vegan Outreach boards but wasn't vegan. At the time I didn't feel there was a decent board for vegetarians so that's why I decided to start VeggieBoards.

Two big moments in VB history:

Early in 2001 when Vegan Outreach abruptly shut down their message board I asked if they would refer their members here, which they kindly agreed to do.

In March of 2003 VegWeb decided to shut down the message board portion of their website. A plan was already in place to refer VegWeb's members to another message board. I had been lurking on VegWeb for several months and knew that their members would fit in perfectly here at VB. I had a gut feeling that this was something I had to make happen. I checked with the webmaster of VegWeb and we had it worked out in no time.

#9 Old 07-14-2002, 10:25 AM
Administrator

What is a contributing member?

Contributing Members are members who have provided financial support to help keep VeggieBoards online.

Contributing Members receive:

• Advertisements are removed.
  • Private message storage increased from 50 to 200.
  • Photo album storage increased from 2 MB to 6 MB.
  • Attachment storage increased from 4 MB to 8 MB.
  • Member name in green.
  • Ability to go "invisible" on Who's Online.
  • Ability to change user name.

The cost is $12 per year. If you would like to contribute using PayPal go into the user cp and click "paid subscriptions" in the sidebar. If you would like to contribute by check or money order please contact me via PM.

Becoming a Contributing Member is optional.

#10 Old 09-29-2002, 09:05 AM
Administrator

How do I upload images to the photo gallery?

Once in the photo album click the "upload photos" link.

Select a category (the default is "members galleries" - please change it).

Click the browse button to locate the image on your hard drive (then double click it).

Enter a title and description for your photo.

Click the upload/submit button.

On the confirmation page you also have the option of entering keywords for the photo.

Click the process files button and your photo will be added.

#11 Old 01-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Administrator

How do I add smilies or use vB code in my posts?

In the lower left-hand corner of the reply page (click the "post reply" button) you'll see a box that says "Posting Rules." Click the "Smilies are ON" link for a list of smilies and how to use them and "vB code is ON" for a list of vB codes and how to use them.

vB code allows you to make words bold, italicized, underlined, change the color, etc.

#12 Old 05-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Administrator

How do I clear my VeggieBoards' cookies?

Check all of the boxes on the following page and push the "delete my cookies" button.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/mycookies.php

#13 Old 06-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Hi! I'm a vegetarian who still eats a little fish...

No you're not.

#14 Old 06-28-2004, 06:53 AM
Administrator

How do I attach images to my post?

Click the "post reply" button (you can not add attachments using the quick reply).

Type out your post (but don't submit it just yet).

Underneath your post you will see several options including a "manage attachments" button... click it.

A box will pop up... click the browse button and locate the image on your hard drive... double click it. Click the "upload" button. Once your attachment has finished uploading it will be listed in the box. You can then close the window.

Now submit your post. That should be it.

#15 Old 07-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Beginner

what happened to the green dots ?
#16 Old 07-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Administrator

What are these green dots under my name?

A green dot is lit for every 100 posts. Once you reach 1000 posts all of the green dots are lit.

#18 Old 01-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Can I change my user name?

No. If you would like a new user name you will need to sign up for a new account. Prior to signing up for the new account contact us to deactivate your current account. Having two active accounts violates our TOS and will result in both accounts being banned.

ETA: Contributing members can now request changes to their user name...

For only $12 per year Contributing Members also receive the following benefits – no advertisements, private message storage increased from 50 to 200, photo album storage increased from 50 to 200, and attachment storage increased from 4MB to 8MB.

To sign up click here! To request a name change PM Michael.

#19 Old 02-22-2005, 03:06 AM
Administrator

Where do people get the avatars that are cartoon images of themselves?

http://illustmaker.abi-station.com/index_en.shtml

#20 Old 02-28-2005, 05:21 AM
Administrator

What is the "buddy list" for?

All it does is put a "+" next to the person's names when they are online (on the who's online list). I guess the purpose is to make it easier to spot when your "buddies" are on VB.

Simply adding someone will not make them your friend.

There are two ways to add someone to your buddy list. Probably the easiest is to view the person's profile and click the "add (whoever) to buddy list" link. You can also go to your user CP, select buddy/ignore list from the menu on the left, type the person's name into the box, and submit it.

A very similar process is used to remove them.

#21 Old 03-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Every time I try to post a website link I get an error.

Due to an increase in spam members with less than 10 posts are no longer allowed to post website links. If you do you will receive the following message...

Quote:
Your post contains one or more website links. Due to an increase in spam we do not allow members with less than 10 posts to post website links. Please remove them before submitting your message again.

Once you reach 10 posts you shouldn't have a problem posting website links. However, if we feel you've posted 10 times just so you can spam us we will delete your posts and ban your account.

If you ignore the message and attempt to post your url anyway we will delete your posts and ban your account.

#22 Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Administrator

A moderator has edited/deleted my post and I disagree with it. What can I do?

First off, if your post violates the rules there's not much. You can re-word your post and try to say the same thing without violating the rules.

If you don't feel your post violated the rules and that your post was edited/deleted because of some personal issues between you and a moderator then you can pm me and I'll take a look at it. More than likely I'll make suggestions to both people involved on what they should have done to handle it better.

If that's still not good enough then unfortunately you'll just need to live with it.

Another thing worth mentioning... Most situations are discussed amongst several mods before anything is done. Hopefully this eliminates some of the personal bias. If I have a suggestion or disagree with something they've done then I'll usually say so but for the most part those decisions are left up to the mods. I'd like to take on more of a mediator role vs. the role of a full-time moderator.

#23 Old 08-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

What are the different types of vegetarians?

Omnivore - Potential vegetarian.

Pescetarian - Someone that consumes fish but is otherwise vegetarian.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian - A vegetarian that consumes dairy (lacto) or eggs (ovo). It is possible to be one or the other. If you consume dairy but not eggs you'd be a lacto-vegetarian. If you consume eggs but not dairy you'd be an ovo-vegetarian. Most vegetarians fall under the lacto-ovo category.

Strict vegetarian - Vegan (see below). I listed this one seperately because I think it's possible for someone to follow a strict vegetarian diet without sharing the ethics that go along with a vegan lifestyle.

Vegan - A vegetarian that attempts to avoid all animal products and byproducts.

Raw - I believe most raw foodists are vegan but I'm not positive. They eat raw foods or foods cooked under a certain temperature (I've read 116-120 degrees F) because they feel that is the way to get optimum benefits from food.

Fruitarian - Will not eat anything that kills the plant. I've never actually met one of these, online or off.

#24 Old 01-10-2006, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Bonsai Kitten

This is being posted all over Myspace so I thought I'd address it before it became an issue here...

Bonsai Kitten threads will be deleted. It is not real.

http://www.peta.org/about/hottopic002.asp

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/bonsai.asp

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page...rticle&id=8289

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affe...tten_web_site/

You may think you're helping by posting the site but you're really just giving them exactly what they want.

The Humane Society of the United States has more information on what you can do about sites that promote animal cruelty...

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affe...l_cruelty.html

#25 Old 03-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator

How do I add a photo to the photo album?

Go to the photo album...

http://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/

...and click the "upload" link. It's under the 8 newest images and above the category list. Click the "browse" button, locate the image on your hard drive, and double click it. Enter a title, description, and select a category then click the submit button at the bottom.

#26 Old 03-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

How do I delete an image from the photo album?

Go to the photo album...

http://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/

...and find the image you want to delete. Just above the image and to the right (in the colored bar) click on the drop-down menu that says "image tools." Select "edit image," check the box to delete the image, and submit.

#27 Old 07-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Can you delete my account and all of my posts?

We will delete your account at your request, simply PM or e-mail Michael. If you e-mail me it must be from the e-mail account you're registered under.

We will mass-delete your posts for a one time fee of $5.00 (PayPal only).

If you do not wish to pay the fee you have the option of deleting the posts manually by using the "edit" button on each post. The only exception is the first post in each thread - you can not delete it but you can edit the text out.

#28 Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Administrator

I keep getting logged out.

Delete your VeggieBoards' cookies here...

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/mycookies.php

Log out. Log back in. Check the "remember me" box when logging in.

If that doesn't work I'm not sure what else to suggest.

#29 Old 09-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Administrator

I see an inappropriate ad.

Most of our ads are provided by Google and are automatically matched with the content on the page. So if hunting is being discussed there may be ads for hunting equipment. There is no way for me to block sites based on keyword. I can block up to 200 URL's (and do) but need to be selective (since there is a limit on how many I can block I need to pick the worst).

The server costs nearly $4000 per year so we need the ads (in general) to keep VB running.

I don't really worry about it too much since I doubt we're sending them very many customers.

If you wish to remove the ads altogether you can do so by becoming a Contributing Member...

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/payments.php

In addition to no ads Contributing Members receive additional perks like increased space for private messages, attachments, and photos.

If you see ads that are very offensive (primarily fur and hunting trips) please let me know by sending a PM. If possible include either a screenshot of the ad or right click on the ad and copy and paste the url into the PM (please do not click on the actual ad).

#30 Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Administrator

How do I embed a YouTube video in my post?

To embed a YouTube videos in your post use the following code without spaces...

[ youtube]code[ /youtube]

Do not use the url or embed code with this tag. Only use the last part of the url. For example, the part in bold...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dshhgwPdsIQ

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page