Multi-Quoting: A Tutorial - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Banned

Here is a step-by-step tutorial for anyone who would like to know how to multi-quote. This is the easiest way to quote more than one post in your reply.

EDIT NOTE The board has been upgraded since this tutorial was made, and now looks a little different. The multi-quote button is pretty much the same but is smaller, and is located to the right of the "Reply With Quote" button on each post.

For example there is more than one very adorable bunny in the Rabbit Lovers' Thread. If more than one person has posted a picture of an adorable bunny and I would like to tell them all just how adorable their bunnies are, here is how I would do it:

1. First, find the multi-quote button which is available on all posts:

2. When you click it, it turns red and a speech mark appears on it, like so:

3. Continue to read through the thread, and click the multi-quote button for each post you would like to reply to:

4. Once you have finished selecting posts to quote, click the Post Reply button on the bottom left of the thread:

5. All the posts are now quoted in one handy reply box!

6. You can write your reply after all the quoted messages to reply to all of them at once. If you would like to type different replies to each quote, you can do that too. The text inbetween the [ QUOTE] and [/ QUOTE] tags belongs to the original post, and you shouldn't change it except to delete the parts that are irrelevant to your reply - for example, I deleted the pictures so my reply wouldn't be too long. Type your reply AFTER the [/ QUOTE] tag of each post, like this:

Finally, Multi-quote works between threads. This means if you click multi-quote in the Rabbit Lovers' Thread but then go to the Cat Lovers' Thread without replying, the posts from the Rabbit Lovers' Thread will still be selected. You will get this message:

Simply click 'deselect these posts' and the message will go away. You can click 'Quote these posts as well' to reply to them in this thread, but there's very rarely a good reason for doing that.

I used picture posts because in my experience, cute rabbits improve any tutorial by about 400%. But I wouldn't advise multi-posting picture posts because it would make your message awfully long and incur the wrath of any dial-up users (yes, they still exist).

The photos of Sunny (first pic) and Jeremy (second) are courtesy of their humans: FauxxFurr and yally respectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Thankies sooooo much for this
#3 Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Can't believe I've been posting on this software for years and still never figured it out-thanks!
#4 Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 PM

Where have you been with this? Why hasn't this come out sooner? I'm on to you now!
#5 Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

Can't believe I've been posting on this software for years and still never figured it out-thanks!

that was me too....LOL....figured it out today
#6 Old 09-26-2009, 03:12 AM
Banned

Woo I'm glad it's helping
#7 Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 AM

It took me a good 6 months of laboriously multi-quoting by hand to figure out that there was a handy little button for it. This is a great how-to WG

For what it's worth, I always select the posts that I want to quote, and then just hit the "Quote" button on the last post I'm quoting. (Who knew you could use the word "quote" three times in one sentence?!) I have never used the "Post Reply" button.
#8 Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 AM

I try to explain to people when they ask, but I'm not always very good at explaining things.

This is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

For what it's worth, I always select the posts that I want to quote, and then just hit the "Quote" button on the last post I'm quoting. (Who knew you could use the word "quote" three times in one sentence?!) I have never used the "Post Reply" button.

Thats how I do it, too. I hit the multiquote button for every post besides the last one, where I hit quote.
#9 Old 09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

That would work too

I usually read til the end of the thread just to make sure I select everything I want to reply to, so the Post Reply button is right there anyhow.
#10 Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Thankies Again Soooo Much For This Info....Its Helped Sooo Much
#11 Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Were or bored today, or what?

I'm glad it helped some people out...it took me forever to know how to do it, too. It's a very handy feature!

Next you can explain how the heck you managed to do this! Was it a cut and paste thing?

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#12 Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned

karen, i'm betting she took screenshots, pasted them into something like paint, cropped them and drew on them, then uploaded them to photobucket. i have to do the screenshot thing a fair bit- its a very very cool thing.

if you've not taken a screenshot before... here's how: get whatever you want to take a still image of onto your screen, then press the 'Prt Scr Sys Rq' button on your keyboard, open a photo editing program like paint, and press 'Ctrl' and 'P' or paste. tada! whatever you had on the screen will be magically transformed into an image file! awesomeness!

also, i'd like to the scarecrow lady for her epic effort in making this.
#13 Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 PM

How about lessons in advanced multiquoting, where you quote posters who have quoted other posters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

that was me too....LOL....figured it out today

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Quote:

I try to explain to people when they ask, but I'm not always very good at explaining things.

This is a great idea.

Thats how I do it, too. I hit the multiquote button for every post besides the last one, where I hit quote.

*shows off*

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#14 Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 PM

SWEET! Can't wait to try this. I'll bet I've annoyed the bejeezuz out of people w/ the lamo method I've been using! sorry folks.
#15 Old 10-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

How about lessons in advanced multiquoting, where you quote posters who have quoted other posters?

*shows off*

There's always one

#16 Old 10-10-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

karen, i'm betting she took screenshots, pasted them into something like paint, cropped them and drew on them, then uploaded them to photobucket. i have to do the screenshot thing a fair bit- its a very very cool thing.

if you've not taken a screenshot before... here's how: get whatever you want to take a still image of onto your screen, then press the 'Prt Scr Sys Rq' button on your keyboard, open a photo editing program like paint, and press 'Ctrl' and 'P' or paste. tada! whatever you had on the screen will be magically transformed into an image file! awesomeness!

also, i'd like to the scarecrow lady for her epic effort in making this.

Wow, very impressive! This will be my next endeavor.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#17 Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Banned

Oh sorry Karen, I meant to say that HCJ was spot on. I use MS Paint to write on pics and draw arrows but I use photoshop to resize.

Screencaps are very useful for saving things instead of printing or writing them down.
#18 Old 10-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Tom

Thanks! I formerly cut-and-pasted things from several posts when there was more than one post in a thread I wanted to reply to.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#19 Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:

*shows off*

How did you do that?!
#20 Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:

How did you do that?!

This is how I would do it... choose the posts you want to quote, and paste the first quote (including tags) inside the reply post. For example:

(quote="WorzelGummidge")There's always one.

(quote="SomebodyElse")How about lessons in advanced multiquoting, where you quote posters who have quoted other posters?(/quote)(/quote)

Replace all the round brackets ( ) with square brackets [ ] and you get this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

There's always one.

Quote:

Perhaps SomebodyElse can enlighten us if she uses a different method?
#21 Old 10-10-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

This is how I would do it... choose the posts you want to quote, and paste the first quote (including tags) inside the reply post. For example:

(quote="WorzelGummidge")There's always one.

(quote="SomebodyElse")How about lessons in advanced multiquoting, where you quote posters who have quoted other posters?(/quote)(/quote)

Replace all the round brackets ( ) with square brackets [ ] and you get this:

Perhaps SomebodyElse can enlighten us if she uses a different method?

Oh well I just cut the quote tag containing the name of the poster who did the quoting, and move it, after I have multiquoted both posts. You end up with the same effect. My version my be a little quicker. Your way is how I used to do it in the olden days before vBulletin invented mulitquoting.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#22 Old 10-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

Oh well I just cut the quote tag containing the name of the poster who did the quoting, and move it, after I have multiquoted both posts. You end up with the same effect. My version my be a little quicker. Your way is how I used to do it in the olden days before vBulletin invented mulitquoting.

That's what I meant, choose the posts you want via multi-quote and paste 'em from there
#23 Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 AM

I see... That's how I guessed it would be done. Pretty handy if you're replying to something specific. Thanks!
#24 Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Hey do you guys think it's easy enough to figure out where the multi-quote button is since the upgrade, or should I re-do the screen shots? I'd rather leave it if it's obvious enough because they're fairly time consuming, but I don't want to confuse new members!
#25 Old 12-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Seems self-explanatory enough to me, but I can't speak for everyone.
#26 Old 12-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

It probably seems obvious but it's probably *most* useful to people who aren't used to message boards, and maybe they'd find it harder?
#27 Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

maybe do a note on your first page, and add a screenshot of where the moved button now is and a closeup ofwhat the updated little button panel looks like. or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page