VeggieBoards banner

Leather Seats...

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  GhostUser 
#1 ·
Ok so I don't have leather seats in my car but am about to move in with some people and going to be hitching a ride with them every day for work.

Now the problem... He has leather seats in his car and I dunno maybe I'm wierd but it makes me feel all icky sitting on what used to be a living breathing animal.

So yea just wanted to know if I was the only one
Cuz I feel pretty stupid and it's going to take some getting used to. Luckily work isn't that far away but I dunno. Just don't like it. Thinkin about just takin my own car but I'd save gas and well I dunno.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, leather is pretty sucky. All moral objections aside, it is just not a comfy fabric. You stick to it in the summer and it's cold and hard during the winter. I never understood the appeal of leather seats in a car. OK, so it's easy to clean... but it starts to crack and get even more gross as it gets old.

Yeah, it sucks, but at least it's not your car.. you'll only be in it for a little while every day, and yes, you will save $$$ and ozone
I say do the carpool. The cows died anyway, may as well make the best of their deaths and get twice the usage of their hides...

#5 ·
Vinyl seats are sooo much better. My dad has them in his car, and they're awesome.

Anyway, no car is vegan, so it would be much better just to go with them. It's gross, but maybe if you talk to them about it they'll let you bring a blanket to cover the seat with? That does sound extreme, but I can't think of anything else right now. :/

#9 ·
I have leather seats in my car and don't really like it for many reasons. First off, animals aren't for sitting on, they're for kissing. Second, they burn my body in the summer (I live in So Cal). I would not have chosen these seats personally, but my sister gave me the car and I took over the payments. My other car, a dodge neon, was old and when she offered her 03 Jetta to me, I jumped at the chance. I can't afford a down payment on a different car. I've considered taking the leather out of this car and having it redone, but then the leather would be thrown away and the animal would have died for temporary seat covers. Plus, it's very very pricey. My next car (when I'm out of college and in a high paying career) will NOT have leather in it. It will probably be a hybrid.

#10 ·
Don't fly on Jet Blue then because all of their planes have leather seats! They advertise it like it's something special, but aside from the ickiness of the fact that leather is skin, they're not even comfortable because when you're trying to sleep, you're butt's slipping around on the slick surface.

#12 ·
It all depends. If the other person is not having to go too far out of their way, I would take the ride because I'd be causing the use of less gas and therefore, fewer emissions. I don't allow leather to bother me when it's not my choice that caused it to be there. Very little good actually comes from rejecting animal products that aren't being consumed by you. (Am I making sense here?)

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Don't fly on Jet Blue then because all of their planes have leather seats! They advertise it like it's something special, but aside from the ickiness of the fact that leather is skin, they're not even comfortable because when you're trying to sleep, you're butt's slipping around on the slick surface.
In this case, rejecting an airline that uses -- and advertises -- their use of leather actually does help matters. It helps even more if you write them and let them know why you don't use them. You might think only one letter would not help, but your letter may actually be the 500th letter they need in order to be convinced that using leather is not a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.